Sponsored

Rear window paint chipping

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Noticed this on my car the other day while walking around it at the gas station. Has anybody else had issues with the paint surrounding the rear window starting to chip off? This is on both the passenger and driver side and seems like it started from under the glass pane itself...

IMG_20191011_165943.jpg
MVIMG_20191011_170000.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nope - but that is surely a warranty issue. If your 3/36 is depleted then that would fall under the Ford 5 year Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

That is clearly a manufacturing problem and should be addressed before it gets much worse and before rust starts.

All 2016-current S550’s do not need to have metal perforation to be covered under the 5yr (unlimited miles) Ford Paint & Corrosion Warranty - so what you have should be without a doubt authorized and fixed under that warranty.

Keep us posted and let us know how you make out.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree with you there, was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else. I'm also going to see if they'll cover my taillights developing cracks due to the heat at the same time, but paint work usually takes awhile and dealing with a loaner vehicle -.-

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hate to revive this but did they end up fixing this? My 2017 just started doing the same thing and both the dealer and customer service denied me getting it fixed under warranty. Since my car is out of it 3/36.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hate to revive this but did they end up fixing this? My 2017 just started doing the same thing and both the dealer and customer service denied me getting it fixed under warranty. Since my car is out of it 3/36.
Are you showing any signs of rust/corrosion? If you are then you are covered by the 5 year/unlimited mileage warranty.

Sponsored

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are you showing any signs of rust/corrosion? If you are then you are covered by the 5 year/unlimited mileage warranty.
No, no rust but I just found TSB 19-2026 so it should be covered. I told my service manager and am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to take pictures and have him send it to ford. We will see I guess.

Bluezeke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Not on mine. But this doesn’t look good. Hopefully they’ll take care of you.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they did, took it by the body shop guys at the dealership and they said it was a common issue and took care of it. I think they ended up having the car for about 4-5 days total because there was an issue getting the window guy back out to set it properly.

I will say that I've noticed my radio reception has decreased which is probably something to do with them pulling and replacing the window, but I mostly use my phone for music and it isn't a huge deal to me - just something to note when you take it in.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Paint and Corrosion Warranty is 5/60 and any S550 from 2016 forward does not have to show any signs of metal perforation. This is clearly outlined in your Owner’s Manual as well as any Ford documentation pertaining to the paint and corrosion warranty coverage, OR Ford TSB/SSM/GSB document.

Just as an added bonus, check the most current Ford GSB regarding warrantable and non-warrantable paint concerns I had posted a while back:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...table-vs-non-warrantable.121829/#post-2830627

If your Dealership wants to deny the paint issue on your car, just tell them you’ll be contacting Ford Customer Service via the 800# and will open a case against their dealership.

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Paint and Corrosion Warranty is 5/60 and any S550 from 2016 forward does not have to show any signs of metal perforation. This is clearly outlined in your Owner’s Manual as well as any Ford documentation pertaining to the paint and corrosion warranty coverage, OR Ford TSB/SSM/GSB document.

Just as an added bonus, check the most current Ford GSB regarding warrantable and non-warrantable paint concerns I had posted a while back:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...table-vs-non-warrantable.121829/#post-2830627

If your Dealership wants to deny the paint issue on your car, just tell them you’ll be contacting Ford Customer Service via the 800# and will open a case against their dealership.

Thanks, I had no idea of all of this until after my visit yesterday. He basically told me the car is out of its 3/36 so it’s not warrantable. I had limited knowledge of the subject and told him it should be under the 5yr paint and corrosion. He said no since it wasn’t rusted or “perforated” as they like to call it, but sent me over the the local body shop to get him a quote and gave me the 800 number to call and complain. The 800 number basically sided with the dealer, but I highly doubt the guy had any clue what I was describing to him. After digging on this forum I am aware of most of the TSBs to throw in his face and after a quick call he told be to bring it back today for pictures and to submit my claim. Time will tell.

Sponsored

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Okay, so after getting an unsurprising run around. Ford is refusing to fix my paint issue. since the rear quarter/window area are steel panels they need to be perforated in order for them to take care of it under the 5yr corrosion warranty. I told the service manager as well as the 800 number people that Ford would seriously rather my car rust all the way through than take care of the issue now at lesser cost. Got the typical "my hands are tied" response. Not sure where to go from here.

IMG_4290.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4293.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so after getting an unsurprising run around. Ford is refusing to fix my paint issue. since the rear quarter/window area are steel panels they need to be perforated in order for them to take care of it under the 5yr corrosion warranty. I told the service manager as well as the 800 number people that Ford would seriously rather my car rust all the way through than take care of the issue now at lesser cost. Got the typical "my hands are tied" response. Not sure where to go from here.

IMG_4290.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4293.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg

Let me just say that the image of your rear window, upper driver side corner - that cracking you see - will be a major issue because water is getting in there and it’s going to cause corrosion, period. The paint peeling is also an issue, where the prep-work or paint adhesion is failing.

You call back the Ford 800# and demand to speak to a Supervisor. When you get that person on the line, tell him/her you want the Paint and Corrosion Warranty verbiage where it states that there must be perforation for any S550 or Ford Product from 2016 forward. There is NO such lingo in the TSB OR the S550 Owner’s Manual that “steel” must be perforated...

So then you tell them that you will be posting pics of your FACTORY PAINT concern onto all of their Social Media Accounts for the public to see how they are denying a totally LEGIT claim. A claim that is valid and based on the most recent TSB, their GSB and the Paint and Corrosion Warranty as outlined in the Owners Manuals.

IF you have not, look at the GSB link I posted in this thread for you - in the attached GSB pdf document within that link, FIGURE 6 of that document is YOUR issue. It’s a paint adhesion defect issue which is 100% Warrantable based on THAT document.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you read the 2017 Ford Warranty statement for Paint and Corrosion, in section 3, it’s not only for perforation; it has an “OR” in that statement regarding paint concerns for “Factory Workmanship”, which would be applicable to your situation...
BA7AFE0B-7FCA-49D4-B611-E2EB91729B3F.jpeg

Here is the web link to the complete 2017 Ford Warranty pdf from where the above was extracted:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_09_2016.pdf

If you still can’t get resolution, go and file a complaint with the BBB Autoline (outlined in that link above).

Last edited:

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Oddly enough I had the same problem on the same color 2017 GT. I'd check other areas also, like the rain channel on the roof and around the front window. Mine had corrosion so Fors fixed it all. The attached pics are of the rain channel and the front post on the corner of the front windshield. My back glass area also had the same issue you have.
20190325_182520.jpg
20190325_183557.jpg

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you read the 2017 Ford Warranty statement for Paint and Corrosion, in section 3, it’s not only for perforation; it has an “OR” in that statement regarding paint concerns for “Factory Workmanship”, which would be applicable to your situation...
BA7AFE0B-7FCA-49D4-B611-E2EB91729B3F.jpeg

Here is the web link to the complete 2017 Ford Warranty pdf from where the above was extracted:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_09_2016.pdf

If you still can’t get resolution, go and file a complaint with the BBB Autoline (outlined in that link above).
They all gave me the runaround like I said. Guess Ill go the BBB route. What really makes me giggle about all of this is my wife drives a chevy spark. A little rinky dink car that cost less than 12k new and every dealership she has taken it to for service has waited on her hand and foot, you would think she bout a 2019 ZR1 from them. She even had a paint issue on her car, which they offered to fix, but requred the car to be shipped back to Korea! Im lucky when I pull into the dealership if I even get any acknowledgement that Im there.

Oddly enough I had the same problem on the same color 2017 GT. I'd check other areas also, like the rain channel on the roof and around the front window. Mine had corrosion so Fors fixed it all. The attached pics are of the rain channel and the front post on the corner of the front windshield. My back glass area also had the same issue you have.
20190325_182520.jpg
20190325_183557.jpg
Yeah, its starting in several places like that. Grabber Blue seems to be a very soft paint in general. The place that the dealership had quote the repair said they were going to remove both front and rear windows, and repaint both rear quarters and the roof.
Sponsored