Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
It was palliative. :doh:

Same area - rear passenger side trim panel - started rattling with a vengeance, this morning. Let loose on the rough section of interstate and kept rattling all the way into work, even on city streets. I was able to slide my seat back while driving, which gave me enough reach to push against the side panel just below the rear window. Pressure on that part of the panel eliminated the rattle. Strangely, the car was completely quiet on the drive home over the same roads. Only difference was the ambient temperature was twenty degrees warmer (about 82).

This evening I took the rear apart again (third time). There are 4 metal clips that slot into the plastic upper window surround trim. They are exactly behind where I was pushing on panel earlier that morning to make the rattle stop. So, I got some industrial velcro and cut 4 pieces of loop (soft side) to fit over the slots. Used an Exacto blade to cut slots in the velcro, then reassembled the whole thing. Now, the metal clips are insulated by the velcro loop.

I've got the console off in prep for installing the MGW shifter tomorrow. So, it may be next week before I can get the mustang out of the bad section of interstate for a test. Regardless, given that the car was solid for a couple of weeks the first time I "fixed" it, then only solid for a few days the second time... I'm going to need it to remain quiet for a couple of weeks again before I'll have any confidence that I've eliminated the problem.

It is curious that no one has reported a rattle from the driver's side. However, at this point, I don't want to risk taking that side apart and possibly causing a rattle to start.

Here's one of the metal clips on the side trim panel.

And, here's one of the slots where I applied the loop velcro.
Sponsored

luizffgarcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang - Fastback - Automatic - Magnetic
It was palliative. :doh:

Same area - rear passenger side trim panel - started rattling with a vengeance, this morning. Let loose on the rough section of interstate and kept rattling all the way into work, even on city streets. I was able to slide my seat back while driving, which gave me enough reach to push against the side panel just below the rear window. Pressure on that part of the panel eliminated the rattle. Strangely, the car was completely quiet on the drive home over the same roads. Only difference was the ambient temperature was twenty degrees warmer (about 82).

This evening I took the rear apart again (third time). There are 4 metal clips that slot into the plastic upper window surround trim. They are exactly behind where I was pushing on panel earlier that morning to make the rattle stop. So, I got some industrial velcro and cut 4 pieces of loop (soft side) to fit over the slots. Used an Exacto blade to cut slots in the velcro, then reassembled the whole thing. Now, the metal clips are insulated by the velcro loop.

I've got the console off in prep for installing the MGW shifter tomorrow. So, it may be next week before I can get the mustang out of the bad section of interstate for a test. Regardless, given that the car was solid for a couple of weeks the first time I "fixed" it, then only solid for a few days the second time... I'm going to need it to remain quiet for a couple of weeks again before I'll have any confidence that I've eliminated the problem.

It is curious that no one has reported a rattle from the driver's side. However, at this point, I don't want to risk taking that side apart and possibly causing a rattle to start.
Thanks for sharing! I thought i had solved the problem as well but it was the same as you, it came back!

I will also try again this weekend, lets keep this thread alive until we can figure out exactly where the problem is!

Good luck! :cheers:

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Both rear panels have the problem. It only sounds like the right rear because of your ears relative position to the noise.

If the driver sat in the middle of the car you'd hear the noise from both sides.

Next time you hear the noise turn your head to the left and point your left hear toward the left rear panel. You will hear it from there as well.

Have to take both sides apart and apply all the fixes.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Both rear panels have the problem. It only sounds like the right rear because of your ears relative position to the noise.

If the driver sat in the middle of the car you'd hear the noise from both sides.

Next time you hear the noise turn your head to the left and point your left hear toward the left rear panel. You will hear it from there as well.

Have to take both sides apart and apply all the fixes.
Disagree. When I first started mitigating the noise, I took the rear apart (removed rear seat, right side door trim sill, and right side rear side trim panel). Then I test drove the car. No rattle.

Like I said, the noise stops short-term after addressing the right side. Also, I was able to make the rattle stop by pushing on the right side rear trim panel while driving. That means there's no noise from the driver side. At least, on my car.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
^^ Perhaps in your specific case only your right rear is exhibiting the issue. But others that are struggling with this should look at both sides.

They are all made of the same stuff. When the car was new neither side rattled. Then after some unknown conditions the right rear started rattling. Give it time and more than likely the left rear will as well. Ask me how I know.

Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Sorry, but this is the first time you've dipped into this thread and your recommendation is to disassemble the opposite side, even though it may not have a problem.

I completely disagree with your approach. There may be some variation in the manufacture of the plastic trim for the right side, the sheet metal and other components that fit together, etc - at a minimum, the right trim panel is popped from a different mold than the left.

It is not certain that the driver side will start to rattle. You imply that is does rattle or did rattle on your car. You don't say whether you fixed it.

If I followed your recommendation I'd be removing the entire interior to mitigate rattles and sounds that may never manifest.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You are reading into my writing more than what is posted there.

My recommendation was for everyone that fixes the right rear panel and still hears the rattle from that side of the car to change your head position and listen to the left rear as well.

Interior noises are very difficult to pinpoint due to the acoustics of a car. You think its coming from one location, you move your head closer, and then bam it's somewhere else.

No one is saying to take apart your entire car to chase down problems that are not problems. It's was not written and it was not suggested.

Based on what I see with the Mustang interior it may come to that for some folks. Who has the headlight switch rattle? The A pillar rattles? The center gauge rattles? Right rear quarter panel rattle? Rear windshield rattle? Center console rattle? Rear seatback rattle? What's left? The front seats don't seem to make noise.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
You are reading into my writing more than what is posted there.

My recommendation was for everyone that fixes the right rear panel and still hears the rattle from that side of the car to change your head position and listen to the left rear as well.
Here's what you said:

If I misunderstood, my apology. I'm only trying to resolve my rattle and relate my experience doing so if it helps others. Anyway, you implied both rear passenger sides of your car rattled. How did you fix yours? Let's get this thread back onto solution! :D

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My car had the problem on both sides. Fixing the right rear wasn't enough in my case. It may not be enough for others too. I followed the suggestions in this thread. Isolate/tape the clips, felt, remove the foam, etc.

Once I moved my head I was able to locate the source of the remaining noise which came from the driver's side and not the passenger side as it seems when looking straight or to the right.

I still need to tape/felt the clips near the headlight switch. After that my car will be good. At least until something else acts up.

luizffgarcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang - Fastback - Automatic - Magnetic
I can hear the noise in the driver side as well if i turn my head!

Have you guys managed to solve the problem 100%? I am just waiting for a confirmation to remove the panels again and apply a confirmed fix

Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
My latest fix with the industrial velcro loop has only seen about 4 days, but it's been completely quiet over a range of ambient temps during that time.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My car is in the shop getting the HVAC control module replaced (fan stopped working). While it was in there I asked them to look at the right rear quarter panel for rattles (to see if they knew of anything).

They confirmed that Ford has acknowledged the problem, but does not have a fix for it. Once they figure out the fix they will issue a TSB.

BTW: They now have a TSB for the headlight switch trim panel rattle.

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
My car is in the shop getting the HVAC control module replaced (fan stopped working). While it was in there I asked them to look at the right rear quarter panel for rattles (to see if they knew of anything).

They confirmed that Ford has acknowledged the problem, but does not have a fix for it. Once they figure out the fix they will issue a TSB.

BTW: They now have a TSB for the headlight switch trim panel rattle.
Thanks for the heads up! I have the headlight switch rattle, my dash sometimes flex's/rattles and I also have a passenger side rattle. All these rattles are driving me crazy!! Do you normally ask a ford service advisor if there's a TSB for a certain issue or is there a sitte to see all the TSB's for a certain car?

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My service advisor immediately looks for TSBs when I mention what I want repaired.

Since she was already looking I had her look to see if one was available since it seemed like a pretty common issue reported here.

I was actually quite surprised she was able to confirm with Ford that there was an issue at all. Usually until the manufacturer has the fix they don't want to own up to there being a problem (in case the fix is expensive to execute or a fix cannot be implemented).

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'll have to take my car to the dealership and see what they say. I just hate leaving my car with them lol
Sponsored