Rear Clunk Noise (I searched)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by Bigmac, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Bigmac

Bigmac Loud Noises

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP / 2017 Explorer Sport
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I’ve spent the last hour reading various threads. Haven’t found one that matches my clunk.

Car is lowered 35mm front and 30mm rear. Only other suspension related change is Steeda Subframe Alignment Kit.

In the morning, no issues. I pull out of garage and no clunk. I back into parking spot at work, no clunk.

Leaving work 9ish hours later, as I pull away, there’s a single clunk noise. When I arrive home 15 minutes later, as I back into the garage, there’s another not as loud single clunk noise.

Beyond this, at low or high speeds, no clunks. Speed bumps, no clunks. In fact, the only other clunk is a harsh bump on a road I take too and from work that even makes a bit of noise in my stock ‘17 Exploder Sport.

What could be clunking after 9 hours that doesn’t clunk after 14 hours? What could clunk when backing up after driving home but not when backing up after driving to work.

Makes no sense. Car has felt a little floaty at times, but tires were a bit low, and after handling that, it seems good.

2. kevinvan6000

kevinvan6000 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    MT82 car? I have a 2017 GT, its bone stock, but I tend to get random clunks from the rear. With mine it seems timed more with engagement / disengagement of the clutch, but I hear it other times as well when just driving.

3. 7YearAscent

7YearAscent Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I'd check your sway bar end links to see if any worked themselves a little loose. Had that happen to me once before and had an intermittent clunk like you described

Burkey and SteedaTech like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Bigmac

Bigmac Loud Noises

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    MT82. It's the right rear specifically. Occurs after I move forward in first gear after 15-20 feet and then occurs again, although more subtly, when I reverse into my garage. The reverse one occurs right away, as if the transition between driving forward for 15 minutes to reversing is causing it.

I'll take a look at that. Just seems so odd that it only does it in the afternoon at the end of the work day.

I purposely hit more bumps, manhole covers, potholes, etc on the way to work this morning. No noise. I also made a 2-3-4 WOT pull. No noise.

5. ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
    0   0   0
    +1 for sway bar endlinks, happened to me but heard clunking over bumps

Check the rear axle nuts also, should be 180 ft-lbs if I remember correctly but double check that, one of mine backed out to 70 ft-lbs.

6. Burkey

Burkey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Seems to be a very common issue. Too common in fact. :thumbsup:

7. OP
    OP
    Bigmac

Bigmac Loud Noises

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    It was the wheel bearings. Both sides. Even though I’ve had the dealership check them 3 times over the last 12 months / 8k miles. Getting warrantied now.

ChiTownStang26 likes this.