Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Many of the drag racers have broken the diff cover when on drag radials..
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sounds like excessive case loading and distortion, and the cover isn't strong enough to carry the amount of load that its stiffness attracts into it or prevent the distortion that generates the forces on it. Basically, too much load finds its way into the cover. Strength and stiffness are only loosely related in many situations.

Norm

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
Sounds like excessive case loading and distortion, and the cover isn't strong enough to carry the amount of load that its stiffness attracts into it or prevent the distortion that generates the forces on it. Basically, too much load finds its way into the cover. Strength and stiffness are only loosely related in many situations.

Norm
So to be safe, look for cooling and weight reduction elsewhere - because HPDE/ Racing (non-Drag) can possibly tax the differential case? Especially if going FI eventually?

Given that I just lost a clutch I probably should err on the side of caution... Still, if drag racing in radials is the only culprit, I can avoid radials forever...And do not think I will ever get into Drag racing on serious level.
And I do feel a certain affinity for the simplicity of bolting on an existing part...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
HPDE and autocrossing other than Pro-Solo aren't going to hit the diff case with anywhere near the load that a dragstrip launch with hot drag radials on pavement specifically prepared for extra grip produces. HPDE doesn't even start off in 1st very hard, or do you ever expect to use it again in that session. Red flag situations and your own spins and 4-offs aren't supposed to be all that frequent, and it isn't a high grip or competitive scenario when they do.

Should these covers start proving to be fragile at Pro-Solo would be a better signal for non pro-Solo autocrossing, and I think it'd take some history of failure in "regular" autocrossing for any red flags for HPDE use to start waving.

Norm

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Should these covers start proving to be fragile at Pro-Solo would be a better signal for non pro-Solo autocrossing, and I think it'd take some history of failure in "regular" autocrossing for any red flags for HPDE use to start waving.

Norm
Makes sense to me. I guess I will start searching for the Aluminum Differential Casing Part number! :thumbsup: :hail:

(As an aside, I think I have found the part # for the GT350 aluminum crash bumper beam
FR3Z*17757*C
) :ninja:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Those Bumpers beams are still so expensive. I want them though.

A friend of mine who used to work for Ford and has a 15' GTPP said you need you keep the track sessions around 20 min.

He said there are polymer components within the drive train that could yield; so for some of you guys I wouldn't ignore some of those heat warnings completely.

He generally did 3 hard laps, then a cool down one.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Those Bumpers beams are still so expensive. I want them though.
How much labor to install do you think? I found them for an almost manageable price $624 + shipping guy said its listed at 8 pounds :ninja:

I have been getting the warning on average once per track day. [AdvanceTrac off (10 second button depression)] so I think the aluminum casing + some quick and dirty additional heatsink/surface area could perhaps do away with the warning altogether...

Im a fan of copper... Mesh copper... Why not 'braid' mesh copper into a very long .5 inch diameter, moderately diffuse wire and wrap this around the largest swath of the housing that you can? (securing with some sort of metal bolt or quick release clamp)

I know its not ideal for a number of reasons, but I could imagine this helping diffuse quite a few degrees of temperature when moving.

Last edited:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I think the whole car needs better cooling. After just a couple of hard laps, my engine oil and coolant are on the outer edge of their range. I'll save that for a cooling thread I'll eventually make.
Is it fair to assume that running e85 gas will help lower temperatures vs. 91/93 ?

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Is it fair to assume that running e85 gas will help lower temperatures vs. 91/93 ?
Ignition temperature for e85 is lower than gasoline. It helps lower combustion chamber temps. Not coolant and oil. Reduction in combustion chamber temps might help some though, but I don't think it'll be enough. I don't think it'll take much to get the PP GT taken care of, but I don't want to start a thread until I have data from Road Atlanta next month.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Unless it was already mentioned, I believe Mishimoto is working on a larger radiator for the GT.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Unless it was already mentioned, I believe Mishimoto is working on a larger radiator for the GT.
I'm going to try a few other things before I go that route. 52mm compared to 36mm is a good jump in cooling efficiency though.
Sponsored