OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Both are great organizations as you know. Completely understand more time on track. I wanted to do MVP in June, but it doesn't work with my schedule unfortunately.
Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Miller Oils makes a pure ester synthetic GL-4/GL-5 gear oil that really lowers temps by 10-15 deg F. I use the 75W140 in my '11 road race car and went from 285 degree peak temps with the Motorcraft spec to 265 with the Miller Oils. They also make 75W90. I ordered 1 of each yesterday through Amazon.com, not cheap at $135 for 5 litres shipped, but it's worth it IMHO.
Steve

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm picking up a sensor today. I'm going plug into it and wire it up out of the way. Sounds like the best option for now??
Hopefully someone will come up with a kit to keep it cool, soon.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Tommy, do you think your "BG ULTRA-GUARD LS 2015-2016 FORD MUSTANG REAR AXLE LUBE CHANGE KIT" will be enough to save my track day?:)
It should run cooler and it will live better at higher temperatures due to the additive package and slightly higher viscocity.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
In an attempt to further community knowledge-

I got the warning again, just once(!) in last HPDE, after having initial problems with it. (I rushed to break the car in both on street and track, if interested, I will edit with link later)

However, getting the warning just once in my last HPDE, I'm rather OK with this result, as long as I'm running HPDE 20 min sessions, and assuming we might get some kit or fins soon.

That being said, the weather was quite cool, and I should probably consider that it might have been a different experience in 100 degree heat.

Anyhow,
The warning occurred after an admittedly swift break-in period of about 4 hours of 9/10ths HPDE work, 15 min sessions on average and after switching to better diff. fluid.

History:

I left traction control ON my first HPDE day, early in car's lifetime, but an 8/10ths day... and I had the message a bunch of times (I know, probably a questionable move leaving TC on, but I was darn sure not going to wreck)

Given this, and the next half day (2 half hour sessions) in sport mode Traction Control (a couple warnings that day), then AdvanceTrac OFF since...

I think we just might need some well designed bolt-on (copper!?) assembly with small fins- ideally perhaps doing something for aerodynamic as well as heat diffusion - and well thought out thermal transfer rates and surfaces to avoid dramatic temp variances. I'm not schooled in this stuff though. Thanks!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a feeling that the bigger problem would be getting diff case heat into the fins, as the gap between the case and the fin structure is not going to be a very good conductor of heat, never mind the dissimilar materials issue (aluminum → air → copper). Even the heat paths through the bolts aren't going to be as efficient as a diff case with the fins integrally cast like they are in some of the 8.8" stick axle diff covers.

Norm

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I have a feeling that the bigger problem would be getting diff case heat into the fins, as the gap between the case and the fin structure is not going to be a very good conductor of heat, never mind the dissimilar materials issue (aluminum → air → copper). Even the heat paths through the bolts aren't going to be as efficient as a diff case with the fins integrally cast like they are in some of the 8.8" stick axle diff covers.

Norm
That is interesting, thank you Norm!
So the guaranteed solution is a cooling ventilation radiator system for the diff fluid? This needs a pump I suppose, running 50% more fluid? and we are talking 30-50 lbs perhaps?

EDIT: need to read whole thread sorry

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
This is my first time in a forum, but I had too. I purchased my 2016 GT PP a month a go. I'm a track fanatic with more than 600 laps at Road Atlanta. Waited to hit 1000 miles in the car and finally last weekend had my first track day on this car at Road atlanta with Chin Motorsports. Short story in the warm up section the car felt great and I was very impressed thinking I would do a low 1:40's right way.

Well on my first session first lap posted 1:48, in the second lap in the back straight at 140mph I get " Axle Over temperature, reduce speed" I was very frustrated because I sold my Evo X after having reliability issues a the track due to high powered turbo engine, which is the reason I bought this Mustang to have plenty of without forced induction stuff. I got the code P183E " Differential oil over temperature". My car has is 100% stock no Exhaust no Intake and could not do 2 laps at RA with only 1400 miles. There were 3 others 2015 GT PP at the track and nobody has ever seen that before

I called the dealer and they have not idea so I guess this forum is my only hope.
I had the exact same experience.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50486

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
So the guaranteed solution is a cooling ventilation radiator system for the diff fluid? This needs a pump I suppose, running 50% more fluid? and we are talking 30-50 lbs perhaps?

EDIT: need to read whole thread sorry
What about someone making an aluminum diff case?

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
What about someone making an aluminum diff case?
this already exists, comes standard on the autos. i swapped one onto my car. also drops 23lbs over the iron case.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
We need something like this.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That really is the best solution for extended hard running, with either an iron or aluminum diff case. Soldering some sort of fin arrangement on might be possible - supposedly these materials can be soldered, though the difficulty might well outweigh the benefit. Never mind the matter of doing fairly warm work on a casting after it was machined.

I'd think you could keep it all under 30 lbs, but regardless of what it ended up being it would be weight further back and generally low in the chassis.

Norm

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My diff fluid looked terrible when I drained it after COTA. It also had some metal sludge on the magnetic drain plug. I've spoken to a few other local pp S550 owners who track there car and their results have been generally the same.

I don't have sufficient data from this weekend. I had one of my hoosiers go flat first session out Saturday. I put my street tires back on, but with 2 students plus doing check rides for DE 3 and 4, I didnt end up running that much this weekend. I did not get the warning though.

The easiest thing for me to do is add a diff cooler. I'm going to start collecting parts.

I think the whole car needs better cooling. After just a couple of hard laps, my engine oil and coolant are on the outer edge of their range. I'll save that for a cooling thread I'll eventually make.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
My diff fluid looked terrible when I drained it after COTA. It also had some metal sludge on the magnetic drain plug. I've spoken to a few other local pp S550 owners who track there car and their results have been generally the same.
:eyebulge:

The easiest thing for me to do is add a diff cooler. I'm going to start collecting parts.
:headbang:

I think the whole car needs better cooling. After just a couple of hard laps, my engine oil and coolant are on the outer edge of their range. I'll save that for a cooling thread I'll eventually make.
:amen:
Im afraid of running in 110 degree heat.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
this already exists, comes standard on the autos. i swapped one onto my car. also drops 23lbs over the iron case.

20796552155_8e50365d4a_b.jpg
Am I understanding this correctly?

I can replace the differential cover with one from the Automatic GT.
The new cover will be aluminum vs. my cover which is iron.

Aluminum will not only help mitigate the overheating (greater thermal conductivity) but also allows for weight reduction..

If all of the above is true, why arent people getting in line to replace the Diff covers?

Sponsored

Last edited: