Sponsored

Quick Gut Check on Pricing of '18 GT350-Selling to Dealer

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As most of you know the saga of my GT350 and Ford ESP. I Have 2018 GT350 with just about 10K miles. I have to spend $6,750 for the trans replacement. Is a fair price selling the car as is for $42,500 to the dealer a decent deal or am I making a huge mistake-about pricing? The car is set up for the track with a rollbar welded in, extended studs up front, sparco seats with fixed seat bases, omp harnesses, girodiscs, front and rear tow hooks, steeda camber plates.

I have all the original paperwork to include the owner's supplement, window sticker, and I think the booklet from Ford is still factory sealed. The car came with the electronics package with the heated and cooled seats and the original seats are still in immaculate condition. It has a gen two motor with about 4K miles on it and I have blackstone oil analysis reports for every 500 miles or so since the second motor went in.

I have been on the fence on whether or not to fix the trans and sell on my own or just let it go. It wouldn't be to hateful to put it back to stock to sell on my own but it may be hard to find someone who wants it set up for the track. All maintenance was performed at the dealer and shows on the oasis reports. Technically it still has 18 months or so of a power train ESP contract left on it.

I already moved on to a new track car (back when Ford denied coverage last fall) so I just want to make sure I am not giving it way to the dealer. The dealer is going to try to sell it the way it is currently set up. I get to keep whatever wheels and seats that don't go with the sale. I currently think it is a fair deal for both parties as it basically selling it to the dealer for $50K.
Sponsored

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
I don’t think that’s a bad price given the trans issue and track setup. My old 2018 sold on BAT for around 48k last fall. Bmr suspension but stock appearing otherwise.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t know if this listing helps you at all but same year and about half the miles, I looked at the list price and compared it to your number plus trans cost, factor in dealer profit, etc.

With the trans cost and the track stuff, I agree with webspoke that it’s probably about right if they’re going to sell it with the track stuff still on the car.

Returning the car to stock (or mostly stock) might squeeze a few extra bucks out but you’ll offset that with your time to remove it all. Probably isn’t worth removing unless you think you can sell all of that either here or elsewhere (and if you even want to bother with it).

https://www.chicagomotorcars.com/20...pack-6-speed-manual-only-4k-miles-c-11716.htm

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
You're selling a pretty modified car (To cork sniffers) to a dealer. They are going to have a hard time selling as most are not looking for race car projects with a lot of documented service problems. They're going to dump 5K in parts and labor to R&R the transmission.
Are you selling it or trading? That can make a big difference in what you think is fair! Dealerships are sitting on a ton of inventory both used and new.
The Ford Performance Racing School just sold off their fleet of HP MACh1 cars at $50 a piece. I talked to the garage manager while I was attending and was told there wasn't a MACh1 there that hadn't been into a wall or had major drivetrain or brake breakage! Well maintained but $50K for a car that had less than 4000 miles all at full tilt boogie! Yours is worth more just by the nameplate on the dash! I'd say their offer is a tad light! $45K is what I'd be happy with!

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
It seems fair given the mods done to the car and the transmission going out.
What I want to understand is who the hell did a transmission go out after only 10k miles??
Crazy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You're selling a pretty modified car (To cork sniffers) to a dealer. They are going to have a hard time selling as most are not looking for race car projects with a lot of documented service problems. They're going to dump 5K in parts and labor to R&R the transmission.
Are you selling it or trading? That can make a big difference in what you think is fair! Dealerships are sitting on a ton of inventory both used and new.
The Ford Performance Racing School just sold off their fleet of HP MACh1 cars at $50 a piece. I talked to the garage manager while I was attending and was told there wasn't a MACh1 there that hadn't been into a wall or had major drivetrain or brake breakage! Well maintained but $50K for a car that had less than 4000 miles all at full tilt boogie! Yours is worth more just by the nameplate on the dash! I'd say their offer is a tad light! $45K is what I'd be happy with!
Selling. No purchase.

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It seems fair given the mods done to the car and the transmission going out.
What I want to understand is who the hell did a transmission go out after only 10k miles??
Crazy.
I actually don't think the trans has an issue but since the dealership tried to push through a repair I can't in good conscious sell it without being replaced just in case it is toast. It drove fine at road atlanta before I took it in for a issue it previously had (tone ring TSB). Different rabbit hole. Thanks for the reply.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Seems like a decent price. Probably a pretty limited market for a modified Shelby with a toasted trans so I’d take that amount in your shoes.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
You got any pics of the car Mike? Truthfully someone on her would probably buy it for that price, maybe even yours truly…I wouldn’t mind rebuilding the trans myself

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
I'd ask for more money with the race mods. Tell them you'll do them the favor and leave them on. I say, ask for far higher than you expect to get and let them drag the number down. I would probably look into selling it out of state in a different market, you might get a better price for it that way.

Sponsored

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
If time isn't an issue, get all the money and sell it privately OR at least consign it at a performance oriented private dealer.

I wouldn't trade it to a traditional dealer new or used, as others have stated. At 42.5k they're offering your average overall condition book trade-in value. Private party book average overall condition is 48k and dealer retail is 54k. There's lots of meat on the bone IMO.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Can you get a pro-rated refund for your ESP?

Also, does the transmission actually need to be replaced? I'd say what they are offering you is a fair deal if they will replace the transmission. If that is the case I am not sure what they are thinking because they will have a hard time selling a modified vehicle and it will most likely end up at wholesale and they will break even at best.

But, if they are just going to turn around and sell it without replacing the transmission then it is a bad deal for you IMO.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Can you get a pro-rated refund for your ESP?

Also, does the transmission actually need to be replaced? I'd say what they are offering you is a fair deal if they will replace the transmission. If that is the case I am not sure what they are thinking because they will have a hard time selling a modified vehicle and it will most likely end up at wholesale and they will break even at best.

But, if they are just going to turn around and sell it without replacing the transmission then it is a bad deal for you IMO.
I don’t think whether they replace the transmission factors into it at all. If they want to sell a car with a known faulty transmission and assume that headache, that’s on them. Modded cars are hard to sell though, just check out streetcarmarket on Instagram And read some of the comments. Not sure what the dealer is thinking taking that on trade with a welded in cage unless they already have a buyer lined up because that’s auction material like you said.

Last edited:

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can save in parts and labor, so the offer calculation shouldn't be market value less your cost to repair.

For all you know they will just sell it as-is to someone else, or they know what the issue is, but have been selling you on the idea of a full transmission replacement.

You don't get what you don't ask for, so ask for some extra $$ and be happy when it is more than their first offer.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'd ask for more money with the race mods. Tell them you'll do them the favor and leave them on. I say, ask for far higher than you expect to get and let them drag the number down. I would probably look into selling it out of state in a different market, you might get a better price for it that way.
Since the OP is selling, not trading, there's no incentive for the dealer to pay more than they offered. They are buying a highly modified car with a transmission problem. The dealer has a very small group of people who they can actually sell this car too. And those people aren't normally looking for a track modified car that needs work at a dealer.
Sponsored