Convertible owners please chime in.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
It is likely that I will need to replace my 2018 Eco Premium soon. When I first started looking at Mustangs 3 years ago, i had a vert in mind but got a killer deal on the one I eventually bought. I live in Louisiana, 40 miles from the Gulf, so, it's hot most of the time. I have a few questions:

-With the top up, is it difficult to cool? **Note that in Louisiana, you can only tint the top 6" of the windshield.
-With the top up, if it's cold (35F), is it hard to heat? (Yes, 35F is bone chilling cold here)
-With the top up, how noisy is it vs. fast back?
-I know there is trunk space issues, but is it different depending on if the top is up or down?

I'm most likely looking for new cars, but would consider a gently used 2018+ GT, and have been spoiled by the premium goodies in my Eco. Thanks in advance. I don't want to lose my Mustang card, I have too much gear to change now. It's bad enough that I'll lose $1500 in mods, if they don't fix my '18.

cbeach1.jpg
cbeach.jpg
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I donā€™t have any issue with staying cool or warm. I canā€™t tell a difference between it and any other vehicle I drive. The top isnā€™t exposed inside the trunk, so the space never changes. I canā€™t say for noise, I havenā€™t driven a coupe. With the top up itā€™s fairly quiet, thereā€™s no wind noise but youā€™ll hear exhaust or tire noise from other vehicles if theyā€™re loud. Mine is a little over five years old and havenā€™t had ani issues with the top. It garage kept too. But the tops are very well made. If you get around Hornbeck your welcome to drive it if you canā€™t find one to test drive.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I have a 2018 EB coupe and 2017 GT vert. Sure, the vert is a little noisier than the coupe, but not bad at all. AC and heat work great in the vert. As you probably know, all the GT verts are premium trim, so you get the heated/cooled seats too (heating works better than the cooling).

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I have had a 1965, 2006, 2013, and 2017 convertible. The first three I lived in Michigan. The 2017 I drove both in Michigan and in North Carolina. I moved back to Michigan and decided that a coupe makes more sense up here after living south and being able to drop the top year round.

-With the top up, is it difficult to cool? **Note that in Louisiana, you can only tint the top 6" of the windshield. Never had a problem in North Carolina nor in Michigan in summer when it was 100 degrees and humid. I had no tinting at all on my cars.

-With the top up, if it's cold (35F), is it hard to heat? (Yes, 35F is bone chilling cold here)
Never an issue. I drove the convertible year round in Michigan with temperatures below zero and never had an issue. The heated seats in the 2013 and 2017 was nice to have though.

-With the top up, how noisy is it vs. fast back? There is a little more road noise in a convertible, even with the insulated top. Much less than my 1965 had though! Now that I have my coupe I can tell there is a difference and radio and phone are easier to hear.

-I know there is trunk space issues, but is it different depending on if the top is up or down? No difference in trunk space top up or down. The top drops into a well and there is a metal bulkhead between the top well and the trunk. With the metal bulkhead you don't have the ability to put the seats down for long items. The seat back is stationary and one piece.

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
I've had four Mustang convertibles- 88,96,06, and 20.
No issues with heating or cooling on the 2020 here in north Alabama.
- if it's 40F and sunny, I can put the top down, windows up, and crank up the heat and the heated seats.
- If it's less than 90F, I can put the top down, windows up, and crank up the A/C and cooled seats.

The trunk is surprisingly deep. Liftover and the opening is a little challenging, but it's the same for the hardtop.

Will you keep it in a garage? The top will last much longer if it is protected.

Don't skimp. Unless you like replacing the car every four years, get what you want so that you don't have to replace it.

Sponsored

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
Have a 2021 GT Convertible with the added Roush supercharger. I also have the active exhaust and 3.55 gears. Noise levels are very good for me, but my wife likes me to put in the quiet mode when she is in the car. I prefer the sport mode. I live in Florida and the ac has no issue with keeping the car cold when its super humid and hot outside. When its cold done here ( 45 degrees šŸ˜) the heater does a a fast job in making things warm. I really like my vert...its my first mustang and it is a very nice, well built car. I added the Audi windscreen mod (do a search on this site) that worked out fantastic...I swear...more people are interested in the windscreen than the car itself. The windscreen does an amazing job keeping the sound and wind down inside the cabin at highway speed.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Iā€™ll echo what others have already articulated. The top is very well insulated and will keep you comfortable. Trunk is good size for road-trips and noise canceling does work pretty well. Also agree with wind screen comments. This is a great road trip car.

Last edited:

njlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT/CS Vert-'18 Volvo XC60-16" MKC
I have owned a 2005 & a 2013 Mustang GT Convertible & have a 2022 on order. There is a bit more noise but not enough to cause discomfort. Heating & A/C are more than adequate. Trunk space is limited but this is a Mustang, not an SUV.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The convertible is a lot more convenient for putting things in the back seat. Things you can't fit through the door are easy with the top down. The only negative I found with this convertible is the rear window shakes at speed with the side windows down.

Sponsored

Reagan2791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Will you keep it in a garage? The top will last much longer if it is protected.

Don't skimp. Unless you like replacing the car every four years, get what you want so that you don't have to replace it.
This is my only concern. Not the op, but Iā€™m getting mine tomorrow and I have no garage or covered area to park it. Iā€™ve researched car covers but this is going to be my daily driver. I canā€™t wash it every afternoon and I donā€™t want to get dirt buildup in the cover that scratches the car.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Get clear ceramic "Tint" on the front winshield. I did that and to me, it looks and works better that the strip of tint at the top of the windshield.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
This is my only concern. Not the op, but Iā€™m getting mine tomorrow and I have no garage or covered area to park it. Iā€™ve researched car covers but this is going to be my daily driver. I canā€™t wash it every afternoon and I donā€™t want to get dirt buildup in the cover that scratches the car.
I think the main thing with it being outside is to keep the drains clear from debris. Small leaves, pollen and dust build up that could clog those drains and potentially cause it to leak into the floors.

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Conv. 16 Cadi SRX 18 Cadi XT5
I've only had my vert a few weeks, but love it. Wasn't intended to be a daily driver, but i've been driving it to the office more than I planned. Pretty quiet with the top up, and no issue staying warm with the seat heaters and heat going (It's still cold here in NW Indiana). The few times I've been able to put the top down have absolutely loved the exhaust sound!!!!!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Not as hot here in Toronto as your way, but I have never driven with the top up because it was too hot. I will drive on the highway with the windows and wind blocker up and the a/c on. In the cold, down to as low as 3C typically, same deal but with the heat on split floor/dash and the seat on. Last year I drove at least one day (mostly several) top down every winter month. No tint for me, but I do have a windshield shade for when parked outside. Any pent up heat is immediately gone on dropping the top! You will not regret getting a convertible!
Sponsored