zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well damn... Someone already did my proposed exhaust! At least I know how it sounds now!

Might need a bit more tuning up top to eliminate some of the rasp that is present in the video but overall very nice!

[ame]
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I thought it sounded better with the bassani myself:shrug:
My opinion is that the bassani was missing something in the middle. Had good low end but seemed to be way to quiet in the middle with the top being raspy. The magnaflow has a better range of sound I think but still has the raspy top end. The magnaflow mid muffler with a set of resonators after the axle might help tame that rasp. The question is going to be what type of resonator....

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting

My opinion is that the bassani was missing something in the middle. Had good low end but seemed to be way to quiet in the middle with the top being raspy. The magnaflow has a better range of sound I think but still has the raspy top end. The magnaflow mid muffler with a set of resonators after the axle might help tame that rasp. The question is going to be what type of resonator....
I think some big dual oval tips like on the Shelby super snakes? That would make it sound better, the quads are just to much exit area volume imo. That bassani was to big overall to. A smaller dynomax x flow, or borla xs would've been meaner sound wise.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I think some big dual oval tips like on the Shelby super snakes? That would make it sound better, the quads are just to much exit area volume imo. That bassani was to big overall to. A smaller dynomax x flow, or borla xs would've been meaner sound wise.
While exhaust tip geometry does play a role in sound I do not think it is the key. Case in point, even dual exit exhausts have this high RPM rasp. It has more to do with the nature of an X pipe and the firing order of the coyote. Seems to be difficult to balance no rasp with decent volume. Anything that does not have high RPM rasp is also quiet and seems to have issues with drone from my research.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
While exhaust tip geometry does play a role in sound I do not think it is the key. Case in point, even dual exit exhausts have this high RPM rasp. It has more to do with the nature of an X pipe and the firing order of the coyote. Seems to be difficult to balance no rasp with decent volume. Anything that does not have high RPM rasp is also quiet and seems to have issues with drone from my research.
Bingo. You're not going to find a zero rasp solution that doesn't drone at least somewhat. Just the nature of our car and engine. The important thing, at least to me, is how does that small amount of rasp sound? If it's banging on a tin can like stock 15-17 mufflers with resonator delete, Yuck! I had that first on my car, and the tinny rasp was terrible. If it's just got some deep, sharp crackle at high rpm, fine. That sounds like racecar. Also free revving videos bring out the worst of the Coyote. Under load they sound a lot different and way less raspy. Everyone has their own ideal sound though.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If you want to get rid of innate rasp, then switch from an "X" pipe, to a "H" pipe. Sounds waves (ie: frequencies) don't like to turn 90 degrees.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well one thing lead to another today and I ended up with a completely different center section then expected. This is purely experimental...

Double x with one non resonated feeding into a mangaflow resonated. I should have it installed tomorrow and hopefully some sound clips. I’ll see how it sounds and determine if I continue forward with the concept.
46E2AE41-47F6-4957-B005-B159F4A9E183.jpeg

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting

Well one thing lead to another today and I ended up with a completely different center section then expected. This is purely experimental...

Double x with one non resonated feeding into a mangaflow resonated. I should have it installed tomorrow and hopefully some sound clips. I’ll see how it sounds and determine if I continue forward with the concept.
What's the advantage of dual xs? Looks good btw:cheers:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
What's the advantage of dual xs? Looks good btw:cheers:
Corsa uses it in their extreme systems. Gives a slightly different sound then a normal x. Problem is that these double Xs are usually combined with loud/raspy mufflers so you can’t really hear the difference.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a more hollow tone at low loads, and a more exciting/racy tone at high rpm and load vs. a regular X. It's not a big difference but it is noticeable. Corsa claimed some hp on the corvette when they first tried it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Also, it's easier to hear the difference on their Xtreme since there's no resonators. It's the most clear/crisp exhaust I've heard for the coyote. You can hear every firing event. I'm not sure if it will be as noticeable with a resonated X-pipe. I did actually gather all the parts to do this very same thing before I bought the double X-pipe, Zack. Nice to see it tried!

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well.....

Holy s**t I think I might have found the Holy Grail of exhausts. Quick and dirty sound clip.

I'll have and better one and a drive away clip later on. But in terms of sound, this thing is just about perfect. Nice deep tone at idle and absolutely no drone. It might actually be a touch too quiet at high RPM but it's got a great smooth tone!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can definitely hear it. One thing is that the resonated X-pipe will burn in and get louder after a couple hundred miles. Make more videos!

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Sound Clips! Mic did a terrible job of capturing the sound but at least it gives you an idea. Much deeper tone in person.

So there is some drone right at 2K up to 2.25K RPM. Not terrible but it is there. Can look into eliminating it down the road with some resonators but it is not something I feel I need to do right now.

[ame]

[MENTION=13048]MagnaFlow[/MENTION] You might want to look into this.... My fee is low... :D:cheers:
Sponsored