Project 8: My 18 V8 project

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I completely understand the R&D that goes behind these systems but it still seems high to me when you are using off the shelf mufflers... Now the 18s with active exhaust are a slightly different story since alot seem to be new or completely custom muffler designs specifically for the mustang.
That's the thing. They're not using off the shelf. Some do. Corsa doesn't, Borla doesn't, AWE doesn't. Corsa won't sell the mufflers separate from the axleback or catback, their diesel mufflers being the only exception.
Sponsored

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree.

I seem to always be going back to custom exhaust setups because I just can't bring myself to pay these (IMO) outrageous prices for exhaust systems... I mean seriously... $700-1000 for an axleback? $1000+ for a catback? It is just exhaust pipe and a couple off the shelf mufflers that they are selling for $70-150 separately... ok rant over![/QUOTE]

This I totally agree with:thumbsup:
I love my $285 total custom catback. Which has garnered a lot of compliments from all kinds of people. :D

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That's the thing. They're not using off the shelf. Some do. Corsa doesn't, Borla doesn't, AWE doesn't. They won't sell the mufflers separate from the axleback or catback, their diesel mufflers being the only exception.
Fair enough. Did not consider those manufactures. Still to expensive for "just" an exhaust system for me... Also considering the fact that I like making my own. haha :D

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting

That's the thing. They're not using off the shelf. Some do. Corsa doesn't, Borla doesn't, AWE doesn't. Corsa won't sell the mufflers separate from the axleback or catback, their diesel mufflers being the only exception.
Those manufacturers probably refuse to sell the same parts separately? Because they all know with how good the factory piping is now. In relation to bends&being appropriately sized for the application. People would just buy the mufflers&have a shop install them. Which would be significantly cheaper(zacks point I believe)and likely achieve the same or close enough. So as to be an indistinguishable difference in sound.:shrug:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Those manufacturers probably refuse to sell the same parts separately? Because they all know with how good the factory piping is now. In relation to bends&being appropriately sized for the application. People would just buy the mufflers&have a shop install them. Which would be significantly cheaper(zacks point I believe)and likely achieve the same or close enough. So as to be an indistinguishable difference in sound.:shrug:
I just don’t see how a slight change in muffler design is warranted with the accompanying cost increases when there is likely a universal design that will work just fine. That accompanied with the fact that 05-09 systems and even 11-14 exhaust systems were hundreds of dollars cheaper and achieve the same goal. I understand that companies want to make money but inevitably they will keep going for more until people have had enough...

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The start! Should be completed tomorrow.
IMG_20180609_154630-1664x1248.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Going muffler delete. Keeping the stock resonator or switching it out?
Going to be a straight muffler delete for now. Step two is removing the center section and replacing with the resonated x. I'll try that for a bit and then go from there.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Have you thought about a set of powersticks (chambered exhaust) or other resonators.. ?

That's not bad. Still a bit unrefined IMO. This exhaust will most certainly be a work in progress tell I find the sound I am looking for. Right now I am working off of the theory that a mid muffler setup will sound a bit deeper and less raspy then a axleback muffler location. That is why I am going for a muffler delete to start and then will be messing with the center resonator location. My other thought was to go with a non resonated x and then two cylindrical mufflers just aft of that. What those mufflers will be I am still not sure of.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
More or less what I am looking for.

[ame]

Cut to the 0:26 mark.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well it's done. Ended up getting my dynomax mini bullets installed. Sound is ok but it's a bit all volume and no tone right now. Step 2 with the center section should fix this issue. Sorry I don't have a sound clip but it sounds pretty much identical to a muffler delete as you would expect.
IMG_20180610_164236-1664x1248.jpg

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Looks really good man!

Well it's done. Ended up getting my dynomax mini bullets installed. Sound is ok but it's a bit all volume and no tone right now. Step 2 with the center section should fix this issue. Sorry I don't have a sound clip but it sounds pretty much identical to a muffler delete as you would expect.
Nice welds, about as good as most of the exhaust shop's I've used.:thumbsup:
I hope you do the mid muffler setup:headbang:
How are you liking having over 50% more hp on tap in the 18 Zack?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Nice welds, about as good as most of the exhaust shop's I've used.:thumbsup:
I hope you do the mid muffler setup:headbang:
How are you liking having over 50% more hp on tap in the 18 Zack?
Plan to! Hopefully within the month or so. Likely will redo the axle back as well with less welds/different resonators. After finding that vid I think I am going with the h pipe and mag a flow mufflers after.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well purchased a stainless steel X-pipe for $21. It is one of those stamped X-pipes so I am not sure it really counts as an x, more like a hybrid of an x and h. But it was cheap. :thumbsup:

This weekend I plan on doing the resonator delete. So the initial setup will be as follows...

2.5" stainless steel hybrid X/H pipe, Magnaflow 10415 (removed 2.25" bits, core is 2.5"). This all is in place of the center resonator. Axleback consists of dynomax bullet resonators that might get replaced down the road with another muffler/resonator depending on sound needs.
Sponsored