Procharger Stage 2 Help With Knock

Discussion in 'Forced Induction - 5.0L V8 Engine' started by 5hlucky, May 9, 2019.

1. 5hlucky

5hlucky Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    What's up everybody, long time lurker first time posting. Looking for some advice from people smarter/more knowledgeable than I am. Quick background about the car and my setup. Late March I picked up a 2017 GT with the intention of putting a blower on it in short order, and after doing some research on here and youtube I decided to put a Procharger stage 2 kit on the car. A couple friends and I took about a week to install the kit as I took my time and didn't want to rush anything. Finished the kit's installation mid/late April and started driving the car like I stole it, but I was super disappointed as the car didn't really feel that fast. I wound up picking up an HPTuners nGauge per the advice from Procharger so I could start logging the car. Low and behold my car was pulling a bunch of timing due to knock. Several revisions later I'm still getting some knock and I'm trying to figure it out. I only put 93 in the car and the last 3 tanks I've filled up with have been from 3 different stations, the first one was a BP, and the next two were Shell (but not that same one). In the interest of truly ruling out fuel quality as the issue I've added some octane booster and that really had 0 impact on knock. At this point I'm leaning towards the issue being false knock and figuring out what could be causing that. Car has stock exhaust so I wouldn't imagine that to be the culprit. Other than the Procharger the mods list includes a JLT passenger side catch can, blowfish shifter bracket, ford strut tower brace, steeda k brace, and steeda rear subframe braces. I used locktite on the k brace and rear subframe braces so I don't believe those would be the issue. Only thing I can think of right now would be perhaps the JLT catch can is tapping on the valve cover/head, but that was on the car when it was NA and I don't believe it had knock then based on how fast it was compared to other cars (I know, not very scientific but I'm trying to rule things out). I attached a couple logs to the post for reference, I had to change the file extension to .xlsx to get them to upload but if you change it back to .csv files that should open them up in Excel or LiveLink. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT C/S
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Lund had to slightly desensitize my knock sensors after chasing horrible false knock. The sensors are soo sensitive they can pickup vibes from the blower transmission. Runs like a beast after that, and still adds a couple degrees via knock sensors.

3. markmurfie

markmurfie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ford Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    You have low advance from the knock, but the bigger thing I see is logs don't look like your car is seeing any boost at all. I see the analog1 channel is saying 11psi, but I don't know if you actually have a MAP sensor hooked up. What I do see is MAF goes a bit erratic where you should see boost, but flow is barely more than you would see stock, less than a manifold swapped car. The absolute load never goes over 0.99, should be 1.4-1.6 if you were seeing boost. I would double check you got all your pipes connected still and you blow off valve isn't stuck open. I'd hate to point to a failed cat clogging the exhaust, that would be a large assumption.

4. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    And you're not concerned about the desensitization? I saw a video where Alex was saying he won't desensitize the sensors, but who knows how old the video is it may have been from before he worked at Lund (and he may not have tuned your car too).

5. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    I've gone through multiple revisions, I believe my first tune was looking for 18-19 degrees of timing advance. That has been reduced down to 15 as we try and sort through this knock issue. I have a Boost Box Omega plumbed into the vacuum block that sits above the throttle body, which is then wired into the nGauge - as far as I know all that his hooked up properly and I went over the car probably 5x know making sure all vac ports have been teflon taped and all worm gear & t-bolt clamps are tight. At this point I do not believe the car is seeing any vac or boost leaks, but certainly something I won't necessarily rule out entirely. I also double checked the bypass valve, even rotated its orientation to make sure it wasn't getting interfered with by something and the results were the same. The car had 5000 miles on it when i purchased it end of march and it probably has roughly 5800 on it now, with maybe 300-400 of those miles being boosted, I would suspect it's not a failed cat at this point but again I won't rule it out.

I'm contemplating removing the belt from the blower and then making a log or two to see what happens with knock. If it goes away that could at least narrow things down quite a bit. Thoughts on that?

6. Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT C/S
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0

No this was actual Lund jr. I absolutely refuse to let Alex do my tunes after dealing with him once. I am not concerned at all, They still very actively do their job.

7. Tommy V

Tommy V Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tommy
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Alot of the big tuners desenseatize the knock sensors on boosted cars,just how much is the trick.

Jay-rod427 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    Got it - thanks for the all the replies.

9. SheepDog

SheepDog Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Are you using a reputable tuner? (Maybe I missed that in your gargantuan paragraph). Are you certain that your BOV is receiving vacuum/boost?

10. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    Procharger for the tuning. I'm pretty certain the BOV is functioning properly, I see like 10-11psi at about 7000-7100 RPM so I don't suspect a boost leak at this point.

11. huntiez

huntiez Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 gt white diamond pearl six speed pp
    0   0   0
    had the same problem and on a hard shift my knocks go crazy lund already desentised my knocks a bit so knock under hard throttle but between 2 to 3 bam 9 degrees of f you

12. huntiez

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    also this might help i have msbr catback its clamps style i ended up welding it up and it help tons with knock

13. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    auto car? I'm not even getting knock between shifts really, my logs were done in 3rd WOT and that's where i'm seeing my knock.

14. huntiez

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    nope stick shift im sure it has allot to do with the stock clutch im still rocking the hard shift it doesnt like doesnt help that i have full suspension done with a one piece ds so nothing is asborbing the hard shift but the clutch causing massive knock

15. OP
    OP
    5hlucky

Vehicle(s):
    2017 S550
    0   0   0
    got it, thanks! i might be putting the car in the air this weekend and just making sure i don't see any bolts that look suspicious on the exhaust, and ensuring the bolts for the aftermarket parts haven't come loose.