Sponsored

Procharged Mustang Issues

Roushblown5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 gt
Hello,

I have a 2020 5.0/10AT with a Procharger on it. Has DW400 pump with ID1050x Injectors. Tuned for E85 on 4.5" pulley.

Few months back, CEL started popping up during WOT. When I pulled the CEL code, "P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire" came up. Cleared the code, went away for a few hundred miles.

Then I realized oil was getting into my coolant. Had it diagnosed and the oil cooler failed. Replaced it. Also checked all the plugs, did compression test, and flushed the coolant system 8 times. No issues.

CEL came back on, this time with the previous P0300 and also now the P0303 code for Cylinder 3 misfire. Checked the plugs and they look fine.
CEL flashes sometimes even with moderate throttle input.

Now, the car has an extremely rough idle on cold start. Once it gets up to temp, and I go into boost, the motor really seems to pulling back and bogging during any throttle input. This comes and goes as sometimes it will run fine. Idle when warmed up can also be erratic at times. CHT's stay around 210 degrees but can creep up to 228 if idling in traffic. Also pulled the battery and did a reset but still same issue.

What could the issue be? Could the ID1050x injector have gone bad?

I would think it's a fuel issue but I have no way to data log it and scan the fuel map. Is there something I can buy to help diagnose this?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Do you always go to the same station or just wherever is closest/cheapest? Do you check ethanol content? Also, ethanol is hydroscopic so if it takes you a month or two to go through a tank because you only drive it on Sunday or something, it could be getting condensation mixed into the fuel

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I would do a compression test and go from there

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Switch the cylinder 3 coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire goes with the coil. If not, try the same with the injector. If the misfire remains in cylinder 3 then it may be a more serious issue with that cylinder.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ringland..........? Hmmmmm

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah it sounds like the motor is hurt unfortunately. If you have a borescope stick it in #3 after it's sat overnight, you'll probably find something you don't want to see.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I’ll go with the coil and injector swap to follow the misfire… you checked the sparkplugs already.
id1050x are pretty solid, it might be just a little clogged

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Tagged. Sorry to hear about your issues.
This is the same set up I planned on going with and this is the exact reason I haven’t done so yet. Who did the install and who did the tune?

Dingo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deno
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback - Twister Orange 6M Ordered 2/Jan/2021
How are you going with Cylinder 3 Misfire - P0303.?
Mine has been ongoing for months now. In and out of the Service Department.
New Plugs, Coil Packs, Both Injectors, even had the cams out and replaced the 4 Hydraulic Backlash Adjusters. They also replaced the Engine Wiring Harnesses.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Do you have a BAP? Fuel system may not be adequate for e85 especially in cold weather. Also how was your car tuned? You dont have a tuning device to datalog?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roushblown5.0

Roushblown5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 gt
Yes I have a BAP.

Car has just been sitting in garage, waiting for a shop to look at it who is booked up for weeks. Drove it twice and now in addition to Cylinder 3, there is a Cylinder 4 misfire as well.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
You could have went lean, most Tuners will not tune a e85 setup on boost without a return style fuel system. With a 4.5 pulley you're probably between 8 and 9 psi with a dead head system.

OP
OP
Roushblown5.0

Roushblown5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 gt
UPDATE: Car was looked at.
Fuel injectors are fine, spark plugs are fine, coils are fine. Compression test came back good.

They came back saying the head is likely lifted or head gasket is bad by doing a block test where they put dye in the coolant. This test obviously failed.

Does the below quote seem ok to you guys?

24 hours Labor- Remove/Re-install engine and Procharger system
3.5 hours labor- Remove/inspect cylinder head
8 hours labor- Re-install Cylinder Head (with re-timing)
$600 shop supplies

Comes out o $5100 at $125/hour with the assumption the gasket is bad. If a new head is needed, that is additional money, not to mention unknown situation of other components (Rods, pistons, bearings, etc).

Just want to make sure i'm not getting ripped off here.

Thank you.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
UPDATE: Car was looked at.
Fuel injectors are fine, spark plugs are fine, coils are fine. Compression test came back good.

They came back saying the head is likely lifted or head gasket is bad by doing a block test where they put dye in the coolant. This test obviously failed.

Does the below quote seem ok to you guys?

24 hours Labor- Remove/Re-install engine and Procharger system
3.5 hours labor- Remove/inspect cylinder head
8 hours labor- Re-install Cylinder Head (with re-timing)
$600 shop supplies

Comes out o $5100 at $125/hour with the assumption the gasket is bad. If a new head is needed, that is additional money, not to mention unknown situation of other components (Rods, pistons, bearings, etc).

Just want to make sure i'm not getting ripped off here.

Thank you.
That’s unfortunate, but these setups don’t pop head gaskets very often just for the fun of it. If it is indeed a failed head gasket, I’d really hope that I found out why.

wish i was fast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt s550
yes you are getting reamed.
since when do you remove a engine for a head gasket?
Sponsored