Procharged 2014 overheating issue HELP NEEDED

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Alright well I installed this exact fan today and took the car out again. Same outcome. cylinder head temps got over 230 and coolant was around 220 all in a 15min drive and never going over 3500rpm or seeing any boost. also the outside air temp was only 95 degrees today which if 15 degrees cooler than last time i drove it.

the weird thing is the car runs and drives great. no symptoms of any engine damage at all. So i'm really at a loss at the moment.

Does anyone know if its possible to install the wrong head gasket or intall them incorrectly? that's the only thing I can think of right now
Definitely points to a mechanical issue of some kind. Airflow isn't even needed on these until a certain point, the factory cars have grille shutters that stay closed a lot of the time for efficiency reasons. Just cruising around even with a blower shouldn't even max out factory cooling, let alone what you have.

As far as the head gasket question, it is possible to install the wrong gasket and block cooling passages. I haven't seen the differences between the gen 2 and 3 heads, but I know it's possible on the ecoboost.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't think it is an outside temp issue. When the weather was cooler you didn't have a problem, but you certainly would have. So I don't think it was a bad install of a gasket. The car would have run hot from the start if that had been the case.

Something went bad, broke, etc.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Once again I'll ask... have you removed the thermostat and tried driving? Does your water pump work?

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
So I think this is kinda beyond your capabilities to fix. Id find a good coyote shop near you and get it in to them to have them troubleshoot before motor is hurt.
I mean, quoted for troof. Iā€™m the type of guy that my time is money. If someone can get in there, troubleshoot and fix in 10-12hrs thatā€™s time gained on my part. OP has been at this since mid July. These are the types of situations that ruin the love for a build.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
There's no evidence that maybe one of the previous owners has used rad sealer/stop leak or head gasket fix in a can is there? I'd think with all the parts that have been swapped out at this point, you would have seen something like that by now though.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt
Once again I'll ask... have you removed the thermostat and tried driving? Does your water pump work?

sorry for the lack of reply. Yes i have driven the car with the thermostat removed. took a little longer to get hot but did the same thing

Sponsored
OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it is an outside temp issue. When the weather was cooler you didn't have a problem, but you certainly would have. So I don't think it was a bad install of a gasket. The car would have run hot from the start if that had been the case.

Something went bad, broke, etc.
I guess that's a possibility but I have done a compression check, leakdown, check for gases getting into the coolant system ect. everything looks good.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
I mean, quoted for troof. Iā€™m the type of guy that my time is money. If someone can get in there, troubleshoot and fix in 10-12hrs thatā€™s time gained on my part. OP has been at this since mid July. These are the types of situations that ruin the love for a build.
Well that's a huge if. In my experience shops are very hit or miss and especially performance shops. They charge by the hour with no guarantee they can find/fix the issue. I had a friend who's car was at a shop for a week and they never solved the problem but he had a very large bill anyways.

not trying to sound arrogant or anything just haven't had much luck with shops in my experience. Also the only place I would have taken the car to in vegas closed a year or so ago.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Iā€™m not gonna read all 16 pages but Iā€™ll chime in with a suggestion if it hasnā€™t been mentioned.
Maybe try a rad flush with a rad cleaner. Maybe itā€™s clogged up somewhere. For a 2014, the antifreeze should be changed after the first 6 years, so should have been done last year or at 100k, whichever comes first. Antifreeze actually expires. An unsealed bottle is only good for 5 years. After that throw it out. I changed mine last year for my 2014 from orange to yellow which is the new orange.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
sorry for the lack of reply. Yes i have driven the car with the thermostat removed. took a little longer to get hot but did the same thing
Definitely a blockage somewhere. Might be time to pull the cylinder heads off. Or knock out the freeze plugs and see if any coolant pours out. Water pump could be clogged.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I tried to but it's just a bunch of back and forth. If you can't help me with what I asked... go fuck a fish. šŸ˜
I'll go fuck a fish if you get some reading comprehension skills.
Sponsored