OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt
Update. I ended up ordering a two 12 inch fan shroud and two derale 16925 fans that move 2000 cfm each. But no matter how i try this setup will not fit the car. So i'm back to the drawing board.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
Did you try the fans without the shroud?
I did not. these fans wont mount without a shroud as pullers. I was thinking of trying the gt500 fan it's supposed to move 3200 cfm. not as much as i was hoping for but better then the 1900 i have now. Or maybe try the mishimoto race line fans without a shroud those are 1800cfm each.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think you have engine issues. A 4 row radiator should keep temps in check at zero boost even with restricted airflow.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
I think you have engine issues. A 4 row radiator should keep temps in check at zero boost even with restricted airflow.
Any ideas on what I should be checking for?
I have done a compression test, leakdown test and checked for a blown headgasket and all came back good. I'm kind of at a loss at the moment. any help is greatly appreciated .

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
it sounds like a blown head gasket. Unfortunately with all your tests the only way to find out is to disassemble it. n

Yes you can have a bad gasket and all tests show good. If it only overheated under boost I would suspect an airflow issue, but since it overheats with an added capacity rad at zero boost it almost has to be a mechanical issue.

Before I would yank out the motor I would remove the procharger and inter-cooler and see if it continued to overheat.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
it sounds like a blown head gasket. Unfortunately with all your tests the only way to find out is to disassemble it. n

Yes you can have a bad gasket and all tests show good. If it only overheated under boost I would suspect an airflow issue, but since it overheats with an added capacity rad at zero boost it almost has to be a mechanical issue.

Before I would yank out the motor I would remove the procharger and inter-cooler and see if it continued to overheat.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. But it's hard to decide to pull the motor when all the tests have come back negative. I'm going to get the fans figured out and if that doesn't solve anything then pulling it apart is the next logical step

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I think I'd pull the intercooler first. If it overheats with it gone you know the engine needs work.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I bet someone messed up the motor install. Wrong head gaskets or something like that. Previous owner sold it during winter months to cover the problem since it was cold enough outside, summer comes around, temps rise 30-40 degrees and bam! Problems. You might have to pull heads.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
I bet someone messed up the motor install. Wrong head gaskets or something like that. Previous owner sold it during winter months to cover the problem since it was cold enough outside, summer comes around, temps rise 30-40 degrees and bam! Problems. You might have to pull heads.
Funny enough I just had this conversation with a friend of mine. And we both agree that's very possibly the issue.

Can you install the headgasket wrong on these motors? I've never had a coyote apart. Plenty of sbc's and LS motors but not these

Also is it possible to pull the heads with the motor in the car?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There is a left and right head gasket, could be on wrong sides. Also gen 3 is diffrent from 1 and 2, could have gotten gen 3 by mistake

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Probably easier to just drop it out of the bottom and leave car up on lift. Idk the specific differences between gen gaskets but have heard of problems with head gaskets before mostly on the FB coyote groups. I would pass on the intercooler removal. Id go straight to pulling motor.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You can’t really install the head gasket on the wrong side unless you install it wrong side and upside down. In that case you would not have any problems. The only difference in gen3 is bore size and one little hole that would not matter so not a wrong gasket issue.
You can run a radiator twice as big as needed and it will still overheat if you don’t get enough airflow. I have a mishimoto radiator and without good airflow it will heat up fast. I would mount two or even one 3000cfm fan. A V8 needs at least 2500cfm. It’s a lot easier to install a fan than a engine.
Also you can move the radiator forward to give you more room in front of the engine
Sponsored