OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt
I might have missed it, but is the motor really getting hot? Have you used an IR temp gauge to measure temps on the motor itself? Trans too?

At this point I would just go do some full-send pulls and try to blow the damn thing up.
Yes I have checked with an IR gauge on the heads and they pretty much match the the gauge on the car says. Plus I have an aftermarket coolant temp gauge.

As far as blowing it up, the thought has crossed my mind lol. But all that will get me is a very large bill for a new motor.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
This is a unusual problem. I have the block supports that go into the water jacket in my engine. You would think that they would cause a blockage in the cooling system causing it to run hotter but it runs cool.
if it gets hot without the thermostat then there’s a problem. I thought op said that it ran all winter just fine and only got hot now because of summer. If that’s the case then the cooling system is not keeping up. But if it gets hot no matter what you do and all you can do is slow down how fast it gets hot. Then there’s a problem with the engine. Put some blue devil in it and see if it goes away. Then you will know

Well this morning was the first cool day in vegas at 65 degrees. So I took the car to work (30 min drive) and to my surprise the thing never got over 180 degrees. And because I removed the thermostat it took forever just to get to 160.

My drive home will be in 100 degrees so I guess I will see what the difference is.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I’m interested to see what your temps are when your going home.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
I’m interested to see what your temps are when your going home.

Well the car got hot again on my drive home. cyl heads got to 241 degrees. And that's with me absolutely babying the car and staying out of boost.

I am seriously confused at this point because the outside ambient temperature is definitely affecting the car. which would make me think its not a mechanical issue.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Well the car got hot again on my drive home. cyl heads got to 241 degrees. And that's with me absolutely babying the car and staying out of boost.

I am seriously confused at this point because the outside ambient temperature is definitely affecting the car. which would make me think its not a mechanical issue.
About 5 or 6 pages back I said to check the radiator hose to make sure that is not collapsing when running. That could be the only explanation. I don’t think you ever answered my post.

back in 99 I had a 91 mercury cougar that kept getting hot. The fan was belt driven so I replaced it and the car was still getting back, did all test and it all came back negative. Remove thermostat, ran hose directly and still but after wasting all options I was about to get rid of the car until someone told me to just replace the bottom radiator hose and go figure that fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
About 5 or 6 pages back I said to check the radiator hose to make sure that is not collapsing when running. That could be the only explanation. I don’t think you ever answered my post.

back in 99 I had a 91 mercury cougar that kept getting hot. The fan was belt driven so I replaced it and the car was still getting back, did all test and it all came back negative. Remove thermostat, ran hose directly and still but after wasting all options I was about to get rid of the car until someone told me to just replace the bottom radiator hose and go figure that fixed the issue.

Sorry for not replying. I thought I did.

Yes I have checked the hoses. They are not collapsing. But I will replace the lower hose just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ok stop babying it. If I baby my car it will get warmer then I like. But as soon as I get the RPMs up over 3000 it will cool right down. Also you can try a cylinder head cooling mod.
are you using the factory hoses on everything. If it’s not getting hot with cooler weather then it’s not the engine. The cooling system is just not good enough for some reason. You can try a stock water pump and is there any chance that the belt is on wrong and turning the pump backwards?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for not replying. I thought I did.

Yes I have checked the hoses. They are not collapsing. But I will replace the lower hose just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion

Okay so you tried everything and still no luck. If everything has tested negative I think that its time for you to check the heads to make sure the the head gaskets weren't installed backwards. I know if not installed correctly it will block most water ports causing engine to overheat.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Okay so you tried everything and still no luck. If everything has tested negative I think that its time for you to check the heads to make sure the the head gaskets weren't installed backwards. I know if not installed correctly it will block most water ports causing engine to overheat.
You can’t install it backwards

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
You can’t install it backwards
Maybe the incorrect head gaskets? He has tried everything and the issue still persist. I dont think running the engine to almost max threshold this many times is healthy for it.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
Ok stop babying it. If I baby my car it will get warmer then I like. But as soon as I get the RPMs up over 3000 it will cool right down. Also you can try a cylinder head cooling mod.
are you using the factory hoses on everything. If it’s not getting hot with cooler weather then it’s not the engine. The cooling system is just not good enough for some reason. You can try a stock water pump and is there any chance that the belt is on wrong and turning the pump backwards?
I have tried the not baby it approach and that's when I got the car to 260 degrees. Seems to build heat directly proportional to rpm/load

Yes I am using all stock hoses and as far as I was told you can install the belt the wring way. Also I checked and the pump is turning the correct way.

What is the cylinder head cooling mod?