Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Don't listen to these guys. If you want to get the full potential out of your car this is what you need to use
9a92aacd5c2638bf8b40b705cd8727fe.jpg
Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
My main reason for asking is cause the wife will be driving it and i know she will never remember to use premium. Wanted to know if 87 if put in if i need to worry about it.
Here's a thought, do not let your wife drive the car. I have my car and my wife has hers.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
When I first received my Ecoboost Mustang I was putting 87 in it and my MPG was atrocious. After a week, I started putting 91 and I felt the power difference and my average MPG from 14 to 21 on the street. I don’t know if there is any correlation but 87 doesn’t even exist to me anymore at this point.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
When I first received my Ecoboost Mustang I was putting 87 in it and my MPG was atrocious. After a week, I started putting 91 and I felt the power difference and my average MPG from 14 to 21 on the street. I don’t know if there is any correlation but 87 doesn’t even exist to me anymore at this point.
The 2.3 EcoBoost performance suffers terribly when anything less the 91/93 is used. I never used anything but premium in my 15’ EB.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I have done done this on my '15 and '17 EB (and not on my '19 GT either), but when I had my 2010 genesis coupe, I did a manual calculation, where instead of looking at the mpg on the dash, I drove until the gas warning light came on, then immediately filled it, recorded the #of gallons, drove until the gas light came on, record #of miles, and manually calc the average mpg. I did this about 10 times on 93 and averaged it (Hyundai manual also said 87 is ok, but you will not get full HP and mileage may suffer), and 10 times on 87 and took its average.

I definitely saw an improvement on mileage using 93. When I did the calculation, the higher cost of 93 wasn't as much of a deal because of the slight more mileage that the 93 gave. When the car got older (just before I traded it in for an EB mustang in '15), that genesis showed even bigger difference in mileage between 87 and 93. Since then I have never run anything other than 93 in my cars that say it can use 93.

I have also tried this on my old '93 maxima GXE, and it recommended 91 octane. There also was better mileage on 91 vs 87, but there were significant differences between 91 and 93. This was before I learned about ECU's controlling timing and being able to adjust to different fuel grades.

Conversely, my neighbor, a very nice, very old man, insists that he use 93 octane in his mower, snow blower, generators. He kept telling me that I should do the same.

I purchased a brand new snow blower, and I didn't have any gas, so I borrowed some from him. I was so angry because the thing was surging like it had a clogged carb. I was told that it was 93 octane afterwards. I drained it, filled it with 87, and it runs fine. I guess the snow blower wasn't happy with the 93 because it was "too stable"? And the engine wasn't producing the compression it needed to get optimal combustion???

Since these events, I use 93 in my cars (they both rec 93), and 87 in my lawn equipments.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I wouldn’t worry bout it. Especially way up there. I only use 93 in hot summer months and I can’t tell any difference in power or better mpg. It does run smoother on 93 when’s it’s hot. But in cool weather I can’t tell a difference.
Putting some 87 once in awhile isn't something you should worry about. Your car isn't going to blow up or anything.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Imo. As a dd, I was perfectly happy with 87 in ecoboost. I come from a 180hp Scion tC.
I only use premium because my tune now requires me too. Lol

but I also use sams/Costco for fuel. It’s only a 20c diff from 87 to 93
If I didn’t have those I wouldn’t be tuned. It’s like 80c to a dollar difference

Doesn’t seem like much.. but I want car paid off first interest sucks

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Thread revival, Is MPG worse on 87? logically I thought it's making less power therefore using less fuel and seeing how the manual says 87 is recommended the stock tune is literally tuned for 87 with optional 93 for increased power.

Deleted member 35644

Thread revival, Is MPG worse on 87? logically I thought it's making less power therefore using less fuel and seeing how the manual says 87 is recommended the stock tune is literally tuned for 87 with optional 93 for increased power.
Most engines make more power on 93 because the ECU is allowed (by the knock sensors) to keep ignition timing advanced.

87 can cause some engines, especially turbocharged ones, to produce less power because the ECU has to back off the timing when the knock sensors detect pre-detonation. Retarding the igniting timing protects the engine, but causes a decrease in gas mileage.

Some engines don't exhibit much output change when you switch fuel grades, because of a few factors, one being engine management that doesn't offer a lot of timing advance. These engines don't produce much pre-detonation on 87, and run fine on it, even in the summer. Your results may vary, as everyone on this board seems to have differing results.

My 2015 Canyon pings on 87, and runs fine on 89. The Mustang convertible gets nothing but 93. I'm bouncing between grades in the V6 to see if it cares what I put in it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
All right, we will do this one more time. :thumbsup: :)

Regular gas (87) is "NOT" recommended by Ford. It is the "minimum" you can safely use in the Coyote & EB. Both cars are spec'ed to 91 for both HP & torque. In the Coyote the power drop is minimal if you drive it moderately. If done this way you will get maximum gas mileage. If you get on it the engine will have to electronically compensate for the lower octane and that will cost you mileage.

In your EB the power loss is significant. You would have to really stay out of the gas to prevent the turbo from kicking in. If it does your gas mileage will go down the drain. You absolutely, positively have to run 91/93 in an EB to get both maximum performance and mileage.

I speak from experience, Had a 15' EB that was sold with 51K miles. Not a single drop of 87, ever.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored