OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
FYI, my posts regarding battery disconnect were a little over optimistic. While it is true that ping is gone after long term battery disconnect, ecu re-learns and advances timing in a course of several drives and you are back to pinging/detonation pretty soon.

I got in contact with ford performance but they were unable to provide any advice so far. I uninstalled pp2 and would ask for refund.

In either event - pp2 is a nice tweak and I can imagine how it can be a fun transformation for engine if works properly, but overall it is not tons of extra power. I've enjoyed engine character transformation more than power gains.

Sidenote - costco 91 gas is noticeably and reproducible worse than any brand gas. Pinging was always more with it. I also bought a bottle of cheap gumout octane booster to reduce pingong on costco gas and it made zero deference.

To those who adviced to drive the car and the pinging might go away - my theory was that maybe I was using 87 gasoline before and there are carbon deposits that increase compression. And as I switch to 91 and carbonization reduces pinging might go away. I tried engine cleaners and all and long term it did not help. In the end I got tired and worried of pinging and just decided to go back to safety. Really, it is not that much extra power.

Maybe I'll explore FI several years later.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Bummer accel. i came across another guy that ended at the same resolution, FRPP giving him a refund. i did run costco for the last tank that began to worry me in what i was seeing too. funny you noticed their gas had the most effect

I'll have to see how mine continues to respond. I switched to the octane adjust and started logging after a fresh reflash. Finding that the timing is starting lower and the knock sensors are now adding instead of subtracting, at least at heavy part throttle. Haven't done any wot yet on this octane adjust. wish i knew what it actually did, ive scoured the as built in the body module (fords dongle only communicates HS in the CAN system which limits it to 3-4 modules only) and will double check the ecm, but i believe forscan limits what we can see.

@CrashOverride can you take a quick log with the knock octane modifier channel and see what your car is reporting on the stock tune? the frpp tune is stuck at 0 and im wondering if its part of their tune or if i just need to give it more time, believe it should be between -1 and 0. 0 signifies the lowest octane fuel for the tables math

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Bummer accel. i came across another guy that ended at the same resolution, FRPP giving him a refund. i did run costco for the last tank that began to worry me in what i was seeing too. funny you noticed their gas had the most effect

I'll have to see how mine continues to respond. I switched to the octane adjust and started logging after a fresh reflash. Finding that the timing is starting lower and the knock sensors are now adding instead of subtracting, at least at heavy part throttle. Haven't done any wot yet on this octane adjust. wish i knew what it actually did, ive scoured the as built in the body module (fords dongle only communicates HS in the CAN system which limits it to 3-4 modules only) and will double check the ecm, but i believe forscan limits what we can see.

@CrashOverride can you take a quick log with the knock octane modifier channel and see what your car is reporting on the stock tune? the frpp tune is stuck at 0 and im wondering if its part of their tune or if i just need to give it more time, believe it should be between -1 and 0. 0 signifies the lowest octane fuel for the tables math
I'm actually out on travel for the next two weeks for work, but yeah when I get back I'll do a few data logs. If I don't post back, PM me - I get forgetful in my old age, especially after 2 weeks of travel.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@CrashOverride sounds good!

octane adjust and half tank of quick trip 93 on top of the prior costco and all is well from what im logging. will continue on this octane adjust feature for another tank then switch back to no adjust and see what happens. no more costco for now.

Hitting MBT which is like hitting the bullseye. At MBT for nearly the entire 3rd gear pull too. at this point e85 wouldnt benefit this tune one bit.

the knock sensors are nearly maxed out on their ability to add timing (good thing). mirrors what the tune allows very nicely. View attachment 444468 View attachment 444469
3rd gear wot.png
KR add limit met.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Well thought I was in the clear after my install a few days ago. Temps warmed up here in Ca and got the dreaded diesel clack in third at 2k rpm. Def pinging or detonating.

What to do what to do. Crappy ass Ca 91. Hate to rely on octane booster the entire summer. Cats aren't going to like that.

Ford must have gotten that carb exempt during the winter here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Well thought I was in the clear after my install a few days ago. Temps warmed up here in Ca and got the dreaded diesel clack in third at 2k rpm. Def pinging or detonating.

What to do what to do. Crappy ass Ca 91. Hate to rely on octane booster the entire summer. Cats aren't going to like that.

Ford must have gotten that carb exempt during the winter here.
Fuel / air mixture is too lean I guess. For me it did not detonate until engine's completely warm.

Regardless.... I've owned cars that required premium fuel and none of them detonated on either of fuel brands in my area. So I attribute this to poor engineering.

Cheap octane booster made zero difference to me, I did not want anymore experiments on my engine and uninstalled.

To the theory of engine having carbon deposits, this is just theory so far. I do remember stock throttle bode being very clean and dry, I also inserted my hand and touched area behing throttle body and it was fairly dry. I have USB camera, but not sure how to reach and visually inspect valves and whatever.

The only guess ford performance cust support had - my engine should have some oil in cyllinders, but for that the engine would need to consume oil, which it does not. And I have 2 oil catch cans.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I tried this - replaced pcv pipes with breathers.

Jesus, not only this eliminated detonation, but the power gain was so noticeable - the car was spining in 3rd gear during acceleration! (I have Oem Pirellis in relatively cold weather for those who know what I mean).

At this point I believe that some cars do just fine with FRPP and 91 octane and some detonate, - might be due to the difference in PCV blow back besides other factors.

I will not drive with breathers as exhaust smell gets you. I have oil catch cans on both sides, but obviously, they do not do their job good enough.

Curious which catch can does absolutely the best job in suppressing PCV gases?

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty close to pulling this pack off my car as well. Even with 93 AND octane booster, I still get detonation at 3/4 throttle once the car is fully warm.

I really like the gains, but it's honestly kind of embarrassing to sound like a diesel when I'm passing another car.
Sponsored