Sponsored

Power pack 2 vs 3 detonation

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sorry for bringing this topic up again, but I have this hypothesis that power pack 2 might be detonating at some cars due to defective OEM intake manifolds that let some air in due to cracks. I remember a topic here at the forum on this issue.

My PP2 detonated no matter what I tried and at the same time I can feel minor engine rpm instability at idle. Also the detonation was more the more I drove the car and that could be due to cracks expanding under temperature. I got zero detonation when engine was cold.

If this assumption was correct then pp3 should be less of a subject to detonation due to a new intake manifold being part of the kit.

So here' s the question to pp3 owners specifically - does your car detonate?
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
When I had PP3 I’d hear minor pinging at throttle tip-in but that’s it. I’m in Cali and had octane adjust turned on. If you really think it’s a crack in the IM collect a log to verify before doing something drastic with the manifold.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My only issue with this hypothesis is that any air injected after the MAF should show up in the fuel trims and the PCM should throw a lean code. Modern PCM's are super anal about mixture control.
Sponsored