PMAS Power Results Thread

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
PMAS said the snorkel decreases flow. And the gains in flow are worth more than the losses in heat.

I'm seeing between 6-10* of ambient while driving the way the intake is now. I have plans of using gold tape on the box, but I won't be doing any more than that.
Same here 6-10* while driving.
I want to get dyno'd just as the setup is right now, just for my own curiosity, I'm planning on to dremel out the grill or just do g delete. As far as box goes it also became clear to me that it's the area that could be improved on as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Same. Mine hit the box in every orientation unless I left a large gap.

Choking_Victim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 GT PP
So everyone is making tons of mods/ tweaks and adjustments to get IAT closer to what all the competition is able to do outta the box?

Last edited:

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
LOL, indeed looks ugly. We used to do this in our rally cars except this version doesn't include a heat resistant sleeve which makes it all tight and neat under the hood. I'm looking to have someone make me a custom sleeve to cover all that mess.
why didnt you relocated the overflow tank? i was debating on the gold heat tape, some guys i know used it on their wrxs top mounts and seemed to help

https://www.amazon.com/010394-Reflect-GOLD-Tape-Roll/dp/B0039Z5TUY

Sponsored

OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
So everyone is making tons of mods/ tweaks and adjustments to get IAT closer to what all the completion is able to do outta the box?
No. Mine is as it comes. It has adjustment that allows you to angle the filter or turn it.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
PMAS said the snorkel decreases flow. And the gains in flow are worth more than the losses in heat.
They even suggested opening the front of the box more if you have increased the flow through the grill. This CAI is all about flow. Trying to close it off to decrease IAT's I believe is creating more harm than good. The increase in flow to this intake will out perform a decrease in temps every time.

People are just way too hung up on IAT's with this car.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If you are not near an e85 station then I can understand your thinking. Aside from that, I do not agree at all. I dynoed same mods, same dyno, same tune (Lund FF) just 93 vs e85. Three runs each, averaged 13whp and 10wtq better with e85. At $1.69 a gallon it is not more expensive to run despite losing a few mpg. The car also loses very little power from hot weather (big advantage in of itself). I have run a friends 1le with full bolt ons on 93 and been about dead even with him, then on e85 and pulled him clearly. It is very worth it. Not many mods will give you the performance boost of e85 for the money invested (about 0). Not sure why this isn't worth it to you. Yeah e85 can help make mega extra hp on boosted cars, but I don't see why 10-15 extra whp isn't worth it for an NA car. After all we are after every last hp we can get when staying NA.:cheers:
None here and the one station that used to have it charged $3.69 a gallon back when 93 was around 2.99 a gallon. Fuel economy drops close to 30%. I ran a tank once in my old 3.6 avenger and went from 25mpg average to 17mpg same driving. Would be worth it if I could get it at $1.69 vs the $2.76 I pay for 93 currently.

Last edited:

Desolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Cbr-1000rr
Bummer, it works fine for me having the maf clocked down.
[MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] I'm not sure I understand which gap your getting? Your just rotating the maf pipe at the coupler right?

Last edited:

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] - THANK YOU for posting your results! I ordered the PMAS CAI for my '16 5.0 and I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm seeing IATs within 5-6* of ambient in the city, which is exactly where I was at with the stock airbox. (full disclosure: I'm running Cervini's grilles, but again, same IATs as stock when the car is rolling) My MAF sensor is inside the box, probably around the 7 o'clock position when looking at the end of the filter.

Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
So everyone is making tons of mods/ tweaks and adjustments to get IAT closer to what all the competition is able to do outta the box?
Mine is as is, out of the box. My IAT's while moving are no more than 3 degree's over ambient. I didn't bother to check what the stock air box did as I was never concerned about IAT's, still not, but I was curious what I'd see with the PMAS only because it seems to be a big deal to members here.

As stated already, more air volume is better than less cooler air volume. If you guys saw what type of charge temps boosted cars see you'd probably not want a blower on your car if air temp at the throttle body is that big of a concern (but they make tons of power despite having high temps)

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Got some videos done yesterday. Now you can compare your numbers to mine. I'm personally satisfied with the results. My research ends here until my dyno day, I'll do 6 pulls total and will post the results at the end of August. All these runs were done within 1 hour time.
Engine fully warmed up
Stock grill
86°-87° outside temp
67% humidity
Insulated snorkel mod
Insulated Pmas intake
First video is in the process of heatsoaking while parked, my IATs were 96 when pulled over to the gas station and I didn't record until I hit IATs of 115

Second video is a continuation of the first one, driving off with 156 IAT

Third, driving 40-45mph

And the last one, driving short distance from/to traffic lights. About 1/2 mile runs

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I'm not knocking anyone but it seems to me that IATs are being given way more attention than necessary. I can't speak for anyone else, but as a general rule, I have never beat on my cars when the temps are over 90 degrees. I might drive in a spirited manner, but I definitely avoid the track on those days. So are some of you racing your cars on 90+ days? Because on those days, just driving around town with stops and in slow traffic, my temps can go into the 120s and it takes a good amount of time to return to normal range when heat soak occurs. But like I said, I'm not beating on my car on those days anyway. And even with spirited driving, I have not noticed any significant performance decrease. For me with my Airaid cai, normal temps are about 6-12 above ambient. On cooler nights it could be about 3 or 4 over. On hotter more humid days it could be 30 over. Even the stock intake when I had it would go up that high. So there really isn't any difference if you ask me. I think people are just a little obsessed with it because they can monitor it from the factory now and placebo effect. On a 90 degree day, you see 117 IAT and you get a little paranoid and think you're damaging your engine or you lost 80 hp or you have to baby it. I wouldn't suggest going WOT for extended periods, but I think most of you don't really have much to worry about. No offense.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Try E85 on a hot day. You'll realize that you can beat on it all day and barely notice a difference in performance regardless of 120* air inlet temps. You will still see 180* cylinder head temps and close to max timing (if you have a 170* thermostat). I love it! I could care less about having a closed box, its all about volume of air flow. I'm putting in a lethal grill delete and removing the front of the box.
Sponsored