OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I'm not knocking anyone but it seems to me that IATs are being given way more attention than necessary. I can't speak for anyone else, but as a general rule, I have never beat on my cars when the temps are over 90 degrees. I might drive in a spirited manner, but I definitely avoid the track on those days. So are some of you racing your cars on 90+ days? Because on those days, just driving around town with stops and in slow traffic, my temps can go into the 120s and it takes a good amount of time to return to normal range when heat soak occurs. But like I said, I'm not beating on my car on those days anyway. And even with spirited driving, I have not noticed any significant performance decrease. For me with my Airaid cai, normal temps are about 6-12 above ambient. On cooler nights it could be about 3 or 4 over. On hotter more humid days it could be 30 over. Even the stock intake when I had it would go up that high. So there really isn't any difference if you ask me. I think people are just a little obsessed with it because they can monitor it from the factory now and placebo effect. On a 90 degree day, you see 117 IAT and you get a little paranoid and think you're damaging your engine or you lost 80 hp or you have to baby it. I wouldn't suggest going WOT for extended periods, but I think most of you don't really have much to worry about. No offense.
I agree with everything except beating on it. I drive them the same regardless of ambient temp lol.

Most people don't understand the IAT timing table, or what temps it works at. They also don't realize that 1.5* of timing isn't much.

Placebo effect is real. Very real. Too real. It is the reason for so many crappy parts that are popular.

Dyno says I gain 14whp with this intake. Can't feel it at all. But it's definitely loud....so it must be faster! (Sarcasm)
Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree with everything except beating on it. I drive them the same regardless of ambient temp lol.

Most people don't understand the IAT timing table, or what temps it works at. They also don't realize that 1.5* of timing isn't much.

Placebo effect is real. Very real. Too real. It is the reason for so many crappy parts that are popular.

Dyno says I gain 14whp with this intake. Can't feel it at all. But it's definitely loud....so it must be faster! (Sarcasm)
Hey.. that's a tenth and a half in the 1/4 and another mph-2 man. :ninja:

OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Hey.. that's a tenth and a half in the 1/4 and another mph-2 man. :ninja:
I agree that HP is trap. I just can't feel it. It was more meant towards people that install pointless mods and "ZOMGGG!1!!!1 IT'S SOOOOOO MUCH FASTERZZZ!"

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Try E85 on a hot day. You'll realize that you can beat on it all day and barely notice a difference in performance regardless of 120* air inlet temps. You will still see 180* cylinder head temps and close to max timing (if you have a 170* thermostat). I love it! I could care less about having a closed box, its all about volume of air flow. I'm putting in a lethal grill delete and removing the front of the box.
Well said. I did s mountain run yesterday in N. GA. Over 90+ degrees at the top and I dogged my car hard the whole way up and am on e85. Sucker ran hard the whole way up with 115 degree IAT temps. My tune only has 26* of timing, too.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Try E85 on a hot day. You'll realize that you can beat on it all day and barely notice a difference in performance regardless of 120* air inlet temps. You will still see 180* cylinder head temps and close to max timing (if you have a 170* thermostat). I love it! I could care less about having a closed box, its all about volume of air flow. I'm putting in a lethal grill delete and removing the front of the box.
E-85 brings its own oxygen and its knock resistance is massive compared to pump gas. Not all of us have E-85 so this doesn't apply to everyone.

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree that HP is trap. I just can't feel it. It was more meant towards people that install pointless mods and "ZOMGGG!1!!!1 IT'S SOOOOOO MUCH FASTERZZZ!"
I am trying to test out my stock airbox vs the Steeda I already have, so might as well test it out too.... I have Torque Pro app on my phone to link up through bluetooth to my OBDII scanner. Using the vehicle speed sensor it can do 60-120...60-130 etc times.

July 14th I had stock airbox on with 93 octane Flex tune
July 19th, tonight, I had the Steeda on with Flex tune 93 octane(modified for Steeda of course)

DA was 2100ft... although I did not get a da reading on the 14th.. the temps were pretty similar etc..

Here is a screenshot of the 2 pulls... hmm... :headbonk:

I am grabbing some E85 tomorrow or the next day to compare 93/E85...

OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
First post updated with the real video. I'll post it here also.

[ame]

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am trying to test out my stock airbox vs the Steeda I already have, so might as well test it out too.... I have Torque Pro app on my phone to link up through bluetooth to my OBDII scanner. Using the vehicle speed sensor it can do 60-120...60-130 etc times.

July 14th I had stock airbox on with 93 octane Flex tune
July 19th, tonight, I had the Steeda on with Flex tune 93 octane(modified for Steeda of course)

DA was 2100ft... although I did not get a da reading on the 14th.. the temps were pretty similar etc..

Here is a screenshot of the 2 pulls... hmm... :headbonk:

I am grabbing some E85 tomorrow or the next day to compare 93/E85...

Make sure you use the same strip of road and go both directions and average the runs otherwise way too much variability.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Make sure you use the same strip of road and go both directions and average the runs otherwise way too much variability.
Yeah, I was using same exact spot of highway. Similar DA etc. There was just no noticeable difference between the Steeda and my stock intake. I have no idea why. Maybe it would pick up a tenth or so in a 1/4 mile run, which equates to 10rwhp... Not knocking the Steeda... its doing what it is supposed to.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I was using same exact spot of highway. Similar DA etc. There was just no noticeable difference between the Steeda and my stock intake. I have no idea why. Maybe it would pick up a tenth or so in a 1/4 mile run, which equates to 10rwhp... Not knocking the Steeda... its doing what it is supposed to.
I'm not sure if anyone has seen a measurable difference in trap speeds or acceleration times with just an intake change. Maybe the OP will see gains in the quarter mile but ~12whp is maybe 1mph or so gained so not much.

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm not sure if anyone has seen a measurable difference in trap speeds or acceleration times with just an intake change. Maybe the OP will see gains in the quarter mile but ~12whp is maybe 1mph or so gained so not much.
Yeah, should be a tenth and 1mph

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Ok first things first, [MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] I didn't intend to hijack your thread and if you feel that it's not cool for me to post, please let me know.

I've spent some time making a second prototype today after work. I haven't been able to run around in the traffic to look for quality stuff so I decided to go with the leftover insulation from yesterday and wrapped up PMAS entirely.
I'm not writing this to BS anyone, this my own testimony of what I observed so each one of you can take it for what it's worth. Like it or not, I'm OK with that though will gladly hear comments and opinions.

Impressions after wrap up:
- insulation will not lower top end IAT temps in heavy traffic but everything else has been improved
- amount of heat soak greatly reduced, it takes me almost 3 times longer to reach same Temps vs no heat shield
- I can drop 40 degrees in about 1/2 mile distance driving 40-45mph from the stop
- I can drop 5 degrees just by reving engine for 2-3 seconds while parked,
- before heat shield car felt sluggish, Now Im getting nice rush just above 4k rpm and the higher it goes the better it pulls
- I can get within +6 degrees above ambient temperature much quicker than ever before
- very pleased with the results so far

I'm not sure if my homemade snorkel has anything to do with the cool air supply but judging by the very quick IAT drop while driving looks to me that it does. I know what PMAS said about snorkel but I'm personally not worried about air flow restrictions snorkel may cause, what I'm after is cool air.

My dyno day has been moved from August 12 to August 26th due to a week long vacation trip to Orlando my wife came up with :crazy:

I will update my findings and share more results with you guys as soon as they become available

Cost: $18 at home depot but highly recommend quality heat shield wrap/tape. Definitely worth a shot
I may do some videos and if so I'll post them here.
Any questions or comments, I'm all ears

Oh... Almost forgot, anyone wants the prototype snorkel I have leftover, just pm me
Looks like a baked potato lol

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
I did some track testing this past Friday, the results were impressive for me. New thread coming in a little, just getting all the weather info straight. :cheers:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I did some track testing this past Friday, the results were impressive for me. New thread coming in a little, just getting all the weather info straight. :cheers:
Did you guys ship my PMAS yet? Gibson, shipping to UK? If it aint left yet can you please package it really well and make sure nothing is missing please because being in the UK I don't want any missing parts. :)