Sponsored

Power Pack 2 Results / Questions

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So, went to the dyno the other day, to see what i'm getting. Unfortunately i never got a baseline when the car was stock so hard to tell the gains. Car is a 2017 GT Manual, with FRPP Touring catback, and Ford Power Pack 2

I went in with the intention of getting the most realistic real world scenario number i could. So the car was heat soaked, had the A/C on full, stereo and lights on (maybe a tiny bit of alternator load ???), hood shut. The red pull was in 5th, the other two in 4th, as we hit the speed limiter. Not sure why the 4th pulls are cutting at 7000 though as in theory the rev limiter should be 7300 with the PP2 tune. Anyway even though the 5th cut, it looks like it was peaking anyway so wouldn't have seen much more than that i think.

Also, according to the AFR gauge on the car, its running really rich. Starts at around 12.5 in the lower revs, but by the time i'm at 6000 its reading 10.5 which in my eyes is way too rich. Is that normal for the Ford PP2? I've heard Ford Performance run the tune with quite aggressive timing, but do they try to make it safer by running really rich? I can only assume the AFR gauge is correct because whilst cruising it reads around 13.6-14.1 which is about right. Need to datalog to have get a better view on what's going on.

The owner also said his dyno forgives nothing, meaning its a heart breaker. He says a few bone stock M3's and Audi S4/S5's (which are his main business) all read around 20-30 hp less than the claimed factory output. I don't know if he was just saying that to make me feel better.

375PS at the wheels, which is about 370hp at 32oC, which is 90oF.
Calculated 423PS at the crank which is about 417 hp.
Dyno is calculating a 12% drivetrain loss which seems to be about right.

IMG_2166.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The PP2 tune commands mid to high 11s (same as stock) so yes it's very rich and very safe. Although it shouldn't be in the 10s, that seems a bit extreme. What did the in car readout say?

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The in car readout was what i'm referring to. Haven't had a chance to datalog yet.
So yeah, starting at 12.5 and ending around 10.5 by 6000 rpm according to in car readout.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Looks like the cat over temp protection kicking in just as its programmed. I'll dble check those tunes but iirc cat overtemp comes in at 4th gear above 6k. Plus certain temps

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
And yes... those numbers hurt!!
Any glory pulls with ac off/ hood up etc?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Looks like the cat over temp protection kicking in just as its programmed. I'll dble check those tunes but iirc cat overtemp comes in at 4th gear above 6k. Plus certain temps
Does it come on regardless of Cat temp? Because it does it all the time, pretty sure even in 3rd, but i'll have to go for a drive again and double check.

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Does it come on regardless of Cat temp? Because it does it all the time, pretty sure even in 3rd, but i'll have to go for a drive again and double check.
Should be coming on at 1650* and calls for 0.70 lambda, so you may have a bad o2 sensor that's causing the reading to be off and thus dumping fuel for cat overtemp unnecessarily.

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
But surely if the O2 was bad it would reading off everywhere no?

Also, just went for a drive and i was getting 10.8 in 3rd at 7K rpm.

I think i'll need to datalog properly to see whats going on. Hopefully its just a case of Ford playing it safe and i'll be able to lean it out a little.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
EFI is correct just the temp is used to activate. I thought there was more to it. Usually on the stock tune i don't see the noticeable dip in cat protection kicking in until higher rpm in higher gears. May just not be enough load and time in lower gears to heat the cats enough.

I'd be curious if your seeing the rich af in a 2nd gear pull. Is it leaner lower in the rpms?

Id expect fuel trims to drift with a dying sensor but I've heard few guys report the closed loop trims aren't spot on with the pp tune, similar to stock. Its simply in the ball park

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
How does it drive on the street?

On the fence about pp2 or 3 or wait year or two for boost.
Sponsored