Sponsored

Placed my order nearly two months ago; no updates. Normal?

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
I placed my GT350 order with my dealer on the evening of 12/20/2019 and he said that I should expect my VIN in the second half of January, and as of today I'm still waiting for ANY kind of update. My last few contacts with my salesman are as follows:

* On 1/21/2020, my salesman told me that the status for my order in the system just says "Material Hold", and that he'd have his inventory manager contact the Ford rep to see if they could find anything out.

* On 1/24/2020, my salesman said his inventory manager told him (my salesman) "we have one allocation for a Mustang this month (January) and yours (mine) is the only one in the order bank. If they don't pull it on Monday (1/27/2020) he'll call their contact at Ford."

* On 1/29/2020, I contacted my salesman to see what they found out and he said that his inventory manager left a message with the Ford rep, and that "there's some weird thing that pops up saying it's on hold and needs a hold override (along with a "shrug" emoji). So I tell him whenever there's any kind of update, please let me know.

In another seven days, it'll be two months since I've placed my order without a single hint that anyone even knows I placed an order. I've read on these forums where some members placed their orders and less than three weeks later already have their assigned VIN!

What gives? Is this typical Ford? Is my dealer giving me the run-around? Should I get my deposit back and just take my chances on finding something in dealer stock later this year? I placed an order because I want exactly what I want, and after looking all last year, no dealer ANYWHERE in the country had exactly what I wanted. So far I'm less than pleased and I'm getting less and less excited about this whole ordeal as the weeks pass.

If you guys can give me some insight, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
This in not typical Ford. Apparently your dealer is not high on the list for Shelby GT350s if they only have one allocation for a Mustang. Some dealers never get one in small markets. The dealer should have been up front with you about their allocation process. I asked my dealer last year about ordering one early in the winter and they told me they wouldn't even get one until 6 months from the time I was talking to them.

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
My car was built 3 months after order was placed then sat for 3 months before it was shipped.
In 2019 there was no normal! Build and ship dates were all over the place! Believe me all of us that ordered cars know the frustration of waiting! I can tell you this! It was worth the wait! The Shelby hits all my criteria for a special car. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, absolute blast to drive and it’s fast. (Not the fastest but I don’t give a crap, I’m old and way past needing to be the fastest). The Shelby exceeded all my expectations and I’m so happy I pulled the trigger to purchase one being retired on a fixed income. I’d rather be in the drivers seat manually shifting or in my garage polishing it then sitting in my living room counting my money!

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It also may be the shut down of production during January and February due to the summer tires installed on these cars. It just may be that your order hasn't been picked up yet. Just keep checking with your dealer.

Madstork97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
Gt500
I order my GT350R 12/14/18 with a fat down payment. I recieved my Allocation order on 7/23/19 and I had call FP about my Schedule build date and i still don't have a schedule built date my 2020 R . My priority code 010

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This isnt a mustang order, this is a shelby order. If you were ordering a regular mustang you would expect things to move along quickly. These are low volume allocated cars. I waited almost a year and a half for one of my Rs because they are low volume and I was #3 on the list at my dealer.

Now, pertaining to your order and allocation.....A dealership has to sell a lot of mustangs to get a GT350 allocation. Also a dealer has to sell a lot of GT350 orders to get a GT350R order. It's a performance based sales model that rewards dealers with 350 and R allocations. If they dont have an allocation, the car will forever sit in "unscheduled material hold" until it gets a hold override.

If your dealership is a small low volume dealership, then chances are they dont have an R allocation. They would have to had (I believe) sold 3 regular 350s to get an R allocation.

It's normal for an order to start at "unscheduled material hold". However where you are in the pecking order, it should progress to "unscheduled clean" and then get a VIN. The note on the order "needs hold override" means there is an issue with your order. Its probably that your dealer doesnt have the allocation. Sometimes dealers get extra allocations in the year. Either they are allocated on a lottery or directly through the rep. I suspect there is a lot of back and forth right now between your dealer and the rep.

So, I dont know what to tell you. They had this problem back in 16 where dealers were taking orders and deposits for allocations they didnt have. I have no idea what your exact disposition is or if your dealer has an R allocation. Only the rep and your GM or inventory manager can answer that question. If they didnt previously sell a bunch of regular 350s, they probably dont have an R allocation.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Re-reading your post, it seems that you ordered a regular 350. That puts your situation in a whole different light. As long as your del
Alershop meets the minimum qualifications for the svt program, they should get at least one allocation for a 350.

Let your gm and rep work out your details, but as long as you are the only one with an order there, you should be fine.

OP
OP
QCGoose

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the advice guys, and knowing some of you waited months before getting any update, while still unfortunate, at least makes me feel relieved that my situation isn't a special case.

As far as my dealership goes, they have had numerous GT350s since their release and have had customer GT500s coming in at least since December; the night I placed my order, a customer's Twister Orange GT500 was in the service area getting post-delivery prep. And back in '04 when the 2005 Ford GT was released, this same dealer received the third customer car in the nation, as well as at least two more following that one. What I'm trying to say is that they certainly deal with their share of Ford Performance cars, and many "standard" Mustangs so I'm hoping my non-R GT350 order has no issues behind it.

The waiting game still stinks, I was just hoping for SOME kind of update by now, but since this seems somewhat typical for Shelby orders then I'll cool my jets and try to be patient.

Thanks again guys.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the advice guys, and knowing some of you waited months before getting any update, while still unfortunate, at least makes me feel relieved that my situation isn't a special case.

As far as my dealership goes, they have had numerous GT350s since their release and have had customer GT500s coming in at least since December; the night I placed my order, a customer's Twister Orange GT500 was in the service area getting post-delivery prep. And back in '04 when the 2005 Ford GT was released, this same dealer received the third customer car in the nation, as well as at least two more following that one. What I'm trying to say is that they certainly deal with their share of Ford Performance cars, and many "standard" Mustangs so I'm hoping my non-R GT350 order has no issues behind it.

The waiting game still stinks, I was just hoping for SOME kind of update by now, but since this seems somewhat typical for Shelby orders then I'll cool my jets and try to be patient.

Thanks again guys.
Like I said, I waited almost a year and a half for one of my Rs. If there is an allocation, it will get built.

OP
OP
QCGoose

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well, if I'd have just waited one more day, I wouldn't have felt the need to make this thread.

On my way home from work just a bit ago, I recieved a text from my salesman saying that my order was pulled for my Mustang (it better be a Shelby!) and that I should have a VIN soon!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Well, if I'd have just waited one more day, I wouldn't have felt the need to make this thread.

On my way home from work just a bit ago, I recieved a text from my salesman saying that my order was pulled for my Mustang (it better be a Shelby!) and that I should have a VIN soon!
Congrats! When I heard it was a non R,I knew it would t be a problem
Sponsored