Paying extra resale value for boosted car

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
I bought my 2019 GT without seeing it in person. I booked a flight to the dealer, signed the papers and drove 1,000 miles home. It has a dealer installed Roush Stage 1 supercharger. I bought it from the dealer that did the installation and I have the receipt for the supercharger and installation. The car has been EXCELLENT.

Without dealer receipts for the work, I would not have bought this car.

Edited to add: This car also has zero accidents. I also have the receipts for the window tint and new battery installed at this dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
If they have invoices / proof that all installs were done by a reputable shop then I’d consider paying above market value. My car has a Ford SC aluminator w/lower compression brand new clutch and built stage 3 trans & procharger . That alone is abt 30k No way would I sell it for the market price but I’m sure if someone wants a car that’s modded well it’ll sell for above. Some cars come supercharged , they’re faster that increases their value. Some people remove all their mods and sell the car stock lol I would never buy one of those cars they’re probably glued together lol

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Also I think it’s crazy that one expects to pay market value for a car that’s supercharged. You want a free supercharger 😂

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Given the price of blower kits and supporting mods it makes sense that people ask a premium with these items added to a car. If you can't get more than KBB value after adding all the extras, then it would make sense to put the car back to stock, ask your KBB value and sell the blower kit and aftermarket parts separately.

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
You can't tell me that a boosted car hasn't been (even slightly) abused more than a non boosted one.
OP, you're overlooking the fact that a fast car can't be driven as hard as a lower HP car most of the time on the street. A fast car is simply too fast to hold the throttle wide open for very long on the street. Therefore, these cars are not as stressed as some believe.

A low horsepower FIAT, KIA, Honda, Toyota, etc. spends much more time at, or near, WOT than the cars you asked about. The fast cars on this forum drive around at 10% throttle and have an occasional throttle input near WOT.

Similar though process: A single cylinder street/trail dirtbike is always near WOT on the street. A GSXR-1000, Ducati Panigale, R1 etc. rarely sees full throttle.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Given the price of blower kits and supporting mods it makes sense that people ask a premium with these items added to a car. If you can't get more than KBB value after adding all the extras, then it would make sense to put the car back to stock, ask your KBB value and sell the blower kit and aftermarket parts separately.
Exactly, This is why I have kept almost everything I removed. Plus its an OCD thing for me. LOL

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
OP, you're overlooking the fact that a fast car can't be driven as hard as a lower HP car most of the time on the street. A fast car is simply too fast to hold the throttle wide open for very long on the street. Therefore, these cars are not as stressed as some believe.

A low horsepower FIAT, KIA, Honda, Toyota, etc. spends much more time at, or near, WOT than the cars you asked about. The fast cars on this forum drive around at 10% throttle and have an occasional throttle input near WOT.

Similar though process: A single cylinder street/trail dirtbike is always near WOT on the street. A GSXR-1000, Ducati Panigale, R1 etc. rarely sees full throttle.
Hello; So, we are supposed to buy that someone spends maybe thousands on hop up equipment and can only rarely find a way to use it? Maybe so. Anyway, there seem to be at least two schools of thought. One is for those who expect to get back the money spent on modifications. The other is for guys like me who prefer a non-modified car or will only pay for the base car KBB price.

I had an experience recently with a modified car. I did not care for the $5000 worth of mods but did like the factory optioned car. Offered KBB only. To each his/her own.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hello; So, we are supposed to buy that someone spends maybe thousands on hop up equipment and can only rarely find a way to use it? Maybe so. Anyway, there seem to be at least two schools of thought. One is for those who expect to get back the money spent on modifications. The other is for guys like me who prefer a non-modified car or will only pay for the base car KBB price.

I had an experience recently with a modified car. I did not care for the $5000 worth of mods but did like the factory optioned car. Offered KBB only. To each his/her own.
You are not supposed to do anything. Your original post sounds like you're complaining about people asking for more than a comparable stock car is valued at. Then you went on to say you'd never buy a modified car, but offered book value for a car with $5k in mods, and I can only assume you were unhappy that your offer was turned down?

And absolutely nobody is getting even close to half of their money back on mods when they go to sell. I sold my car for over sticker as previously mentioned, but I still had 10's of thousands of dollars over that in modifications. I lost my ass, but fully knew I would and accepted that. I also posted my car for my price and told people that was it. Not interested in negotiating even a little.

This really shouldn't even be a discussion because you're not the buyer for these type of cars.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You are not supposed to do anything. Your original post sounds like you're complaining about people asking for more than a comparable stock car is valued at. Then you went on to say you'd never buy a modified car, but offered book value for a car with $5k in mods, and I can only assume you were unhappy that your offer was turned down?

And absolutely nobody is getting even close to half of their money back on mods when they go to sell. I sold my car for over sticker as previously mentioned, but I still had 10's of thousands of dollars over that in modifications. I lost my ass, but fully knew I would and accepted that. I also posted my car for my price and told people that was it. Not interested in negotiating even a little.

This really shouldn't even be a discussion because you're not the buyer for these type of cars.
Hello; As I say, to each his/her own. Hold out for a buyer who will pay for mods. Another way to look at it is why would I or anyone pay extra for mods we would not have? The car in question had an expensive set of wheels/tires and some carbon fiber add ons. I asked if he still had the original wheels/tires and would have been fine with those. He could have kept and resold the wheels and the carbon fiber, but that possibility was already gone. I get there is much more involved in removing engine mods.

I was happy enough as i still have the money. I would have had to replace the Wheels/tires at the very least.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
forum rules says he can stir the pot if he likes. :)
It's a useful thread in the context of establishing some points of reference.

And absolutely nobody is getting even close to half of their money back on mods when they go to sell.
agreed, but some of your fellow forum members think they should be able to get north of 65% of their money back. So this thread can also damp their unrealistic expectations at the other end of the spectrum.

Valuation starts with a honest look at what the base car is worth, and then applying some multiple to the total cost of parts and optionally labor, a fudge factor for future headaches, familiarity with and trustworthy-ness of seller, the phase of the moon and the level of seller's desperation to get out of the car.

Call it 30-45%. :)

Personally I don't see the point since you can't get the power down anyway. But if I was enamored with power-adders I would take a "factory" installed option like Livernois, Granger, etc. offer.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
forum rules says he can stir the pot if he likes. :)
It's a useful thread in the context of establishing some points of reference.

agreed, but some of your fellow forum members think they should be able to get north of 65% of their money back. So this thread can also damp their unrealistic expectations at the other end of the spectrum.

Valuation starts with a honest look at what the base car is worth, and then applying some multiple to the total cost of parts and optionally labor, a fudge factor for future headaches, familiarity with and trustworthy-ness of seller, the phase of the moon and the level of seller's desperation to get out of the car.

Call it 30-45%. :)

Personally I don't see the point since you can't get the power down anyway. But if I was enamored with power-adders I would take a "factory" installed option like Livernois, Granger, etc. offer.
Hello; Let me edit a bit. The seller's car had a KBB value of $30,000 which i offered. He had $5,000 of options installed and wanted the full $5K of value. I do not exactly blame him, just thought it was not very realistic.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
To the person buying the car from you :like:

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Hello; Let me edit a bit. The seller's car had a KBB value of $30,000 which i offered. He had $5,000 of options installed and wanted the full $5K of value. I do not exactly blame him, just thought it was not very realistic.
The seller is totally out to lunch, at best he would be lucky to get half back on his add-ons. The majority of buyers are not interested in what was added, those that are should be smart enough to know that the seller will have to take a big hit on there mods and hop-ups.

Last edited:

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
To the person buying the car from you :like:
What’s the issue with what I said? Point was that whether you sell the items as a package or separately, there is more value.

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Twin Turbo
That's exactly the case with my car. Besides the fact that it was rarely driven before I bought it, and I will likely only average around 1k-2k miles a year in it, 900whp ain't easy to put down on the street. If I'm WOT for more than a few seconds, I'm in 'go to jail' territory in terms of speed. I'm not afraid to admit that I bought the car knowing that would be the case because I think a 900whp car is badass, even if I use only half the available power the vast majority of the time. I don't beat on the car because I want to keep it in excellent condition, and my tires only allow me to utilize so much of the available power. I was confident the individual I bought from was like-minded in this regard, as he trailored the car to car shows all over the country instead of driving it, and he put 20" wheels on the rear even though it was essentially a twin turbo build without a budget.
Sponsored