OP
OP
RoGCobraRV

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Putting 30k plus into a car and then asking for 20 to 25k over the blue book value is unreasonable?
You couldn't buy a stock car and do all the same mods yourself for near that amount of money. Everyone that puts that much money into a car knows they are going to take a bath if they decide to get rid of it. However taking a bath on upgrade cost and giving it away for what a stock car cost are two completely different things.
I agree that you get more "bang for your buck" buying one modified,however I don't agree that putting 30k into a car affords someone the expectations that they can expect to get 20-25k of that back in a resale price. I understand some people may pay that much but to me it seems unreasonable yes
Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Considering most blower kits are 8-11 THOUSAND dollars I think it make sense to factor that into the price of a car. Most people would like to sell it with the car but could always pull it off the car and sell it separately. I planned to boost my car right away and If I had found a clean car with a nice set up I would snagged it and saved myself thousands.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It simply depends on what you are in the market for as well as the tolerance for MAYBE buying something that has underlying problems, but MAYBE is a solid car. If you are looking for a car that is already done, you may be able to find it. There are plenty of cars that are modded to the point I like them, and honestly if I have the money and can get a decent feel for the owner, I would pay more for that car, over a stock example.

I know that I may be a bit in the minority, but the worse case scenario, if you know what you are looking at, and you can have a mechanic you trust do some things like compression testing, and take it out a wring it out a bit, is that you might have to replace some things in the future. But if the work looks to be done the way you like it, and the car seems solid, it's worth it to me to a point. For those of you who heavily prefer taking a stock car and either paying your money to a shop you trust or do the work all yourself, buying a car already done, doesn't appeal to you, and I get that.

I know asking a higher price for the car already modded narrows the market, but if you find a guy with my attitude, who has money in hand and is ready, you can recoup some money. I realize it's not for everyone, but in the right situation, I am all for buying a modded car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
figure 30-65 cents on the dollar. If it has a blower but no supporting mods, then that raises a few questions.

If the car is ratty and the owner can't intelligently discuss the topic of blower mods and just repeats "it has XYZ HP man", then IMO the value is zero on the dollar if not negative.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Some people want a car with a blower/turbo(s). It's a lot cheaper to find one already done then it is to buy a stock car and do it yourself. Believe it or not, not everyone is satisfied with a stock slow Mustang. If I had to keep mine stock I wouldn't even have it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Again,

The calculus is DIFFERENT when you're buying something you plan to never sell and something you want at least an option down the road.

Take for instance the 2016 GT350's. They came with two packages, track pack and tech pack. The tech pack cars became step children because they were the center of the infamous lawsuit for limp mode. Guys wanted the trans and oil and diff coolers.

So someone who paid full price for one and then turned around to sell it a couple of years later found out that those cars dropped more than the tech pack cars. Invariably, you'd see all the discussions about how if you don't track the car it doesn't matter, etc, etc.

If you were looking for a low mileage GT350 and you're not a track rat, could you pay similar prices to a track pack (with coolers)? Sure, but you SHOULD recognize that the same apprehension applies when you turn around and go to sell it. If you're never going to sell it, what do you care, you got a GT350 you wanted.

Take for instance a rebuilt title. I've seen some pretty awesome vehicles that were priced at market value that had a rebuilt title. You can show receipts and repairs all day long, but just the sheer fact that MOST lenders won't give you a note on a salvage/rebuilt title is enough to put downward pressure on the price. I wouldn't pay non-salvage price for a salvage title vehicle UNLESS I knew I was never going to have to try to put it back on the market.

So if I was buying a trailer queen drag car, I wouldn't mind paying near to what the seller has in it for modifications. But if I'm buying something I MIGHT want to turn around and sell in a couple of years, I have to be MUCH more discerning about the price, because right or wrong, a LOT of people won't be willing to assign FULL value to upgrades or even MOST of the value. The market says that modded cars bring MUCH lower values than their true investment cost. Sometimes guys wait and get lucky. They find that one person who is the exception. But again, if you want to sell it quickly and easily, mods get discounted, sometimes heavily.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not intended to offend anyone boosted or selling boosted cars just opening up a discussion.

When looking thru the classifieds,marketplaces etc why do sellers expect (and price in) the value of their supercharger add on to prospective buyers most all of the time. Just because you have added a supercharger doesn't mean that it has added value onto the car. Quite the opposite in my opinion. Shouldn't it decrease the value? You can't tell me that a boosted car hasn't been (even slightly) abused more than a non boosted one. I know there is value and advantages to buying a car that has already been modified,but I feel that people put far too much weight/added cost into their values when reselling.

I see countless supercharged cars with asking prices far higher than what kbb fair market value is. Now obviously they can't/don't factor that into the price,but does it make the car any more valuable?

I know I for one, would never buy a previously modified vehicle, let alone pay market value of said car plus the cost of the add ons on top.

Curious what other peoples thoughts on buying modified cars on. Have you or would you? Do you agree that 4 and 5 year old boosted coyotes regardless of mileage (even low and in pristine condition)with asking prices in the low 40's and even high 30's seems ridiculous? Maybe it's just me.
Well sir, if you're looking to buy used many people take off the mods and sell you a "stock" car.
I personally would NEVER look at a used performance car (especially if I'm worried about it being beat on), unless I plan on beating the shit out of it myself as well.

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
I agree that you get more "bang for your buck" buying one modified,however I don't agree that putting 30k into a car affords someone the expectations that they can expect to get 20-25k of that back in a resale price. I understand some people may pay that much but to me it seems unreasonable yes
if I spent 35k and put it up for sale for 25k over blue book you just saved 10k on all the mods. That is a steal for someone going to do modifications anyway. It is a bad buy for someone that has no intention of modifying it.
If I could have done that I would have.
Doesn't really matter to me, I have zero intentions of ever getting rid of my car.

Cosmetic mods are a different story in my opinion. I give zero fucks about carbon this carbon that. what wheels it has; take it all off or sell it at a stock price as is.

There is no argument that a turbo kit will cost you between 5 and 12k if you want one, There is no argument that an 11k stage 3 engine built by RPG is better than a stock engine. They add value, how much is up for debate.

We all want to get the best value for our money. But buying a stock car and modifying it later can be just as much of a crap shoot as buying one already built. You might get a good one or you might get a pile of shit either way.

If you are buying a performance car of any type, you should expect it to be beat on before you ever layed eyes on it. Unless you see it rolled off the truck with all the shipping stuff still on it you have no idea how that car has been treated.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Bone stock factory cars will always be worth more. Sellers with modified cars, especially highly modified cars, have a smaller pool of prospective buyers. Some dealers and national chains will not accept a modified car in trade or as a straight up purchase. A seller selling a modified car needs to find a buyer who wants the year, make, model, color, options, transmission and likes the mods the seller made to a car to personalize it to their taste.

Last edited:

Sponsored

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The good new is that for most car enthusiast, this is just a hobby and a hobby is something that is meant to be enjoyed. So modify or do as you please to enjoy it and just keep on having fun. Make future generations worry about all the loot you wasted on your hobby.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I think it really depends on the type of person you are. If you can't do anything mechanical yourself, but you appreciate modded cars, then the extra cost would likely be worth it. But, If your like me, who can do pretty much anything on the car besides the shortblock, I do not see the value. The only way I would consider someone else's project is if I had firsthand knowledge of the builder or person and trusted their abilities.

I'm still amazed at people listing 2015 cars for the price that they sold for new! Who in their right mind would buy a bone stock 2015 for $38k? Someone needs their head checked.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Bone stock factory cars will always be worth more. Sellers with modified cars, especially highly modified cars, have a smaller pool of prospective buyers. Some dealers and national chains will not accept a modified car in trade or as a straight up purchase. A seller selling a modified car needs to find a buyer who wants the year, make, model, color, options, transmission and likes the mods the seller made to a car to personalize it to their taste.
Hello; I agree. My plan falls into two possible scenarios. One is to buy a new Mustang and pretty much keep it stock as i do not race. The other is to find a good solid older Mustang and to fix it up.

In the used path I understand from the get go I will be spending more than i will ever recover. The idea is for some classic cars it is not a value question.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still amazed at people listing 2015 cars for the price that they sold for new! Who in their right mind would buy a bone stock 2015 for $38k? Someone needs their head checked.
now now, M6G forum members are allowed to post whatever price they want just as long as they placard their listing with the required date and forum handle. :) Given enough time they'll get the message. Maybe. Not.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This is my last car I built that I will not sell. Too much money, and time. I regret it every time.

My 16GT is very close to paid off, and I'm keeping it for a LONG time this time....
That's how I feel about my 17mt. The blower just makes it so addictive. Just going to build what breaks and make it how I like and enjoy. Great platform for power.
Sponsored