Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hey guys!

Finally got my car back together and running. I am waiting on a track day to take it out and start pitting some power into it.

I am having 1 issue.

I have an aftermarket expansion tank and when the car is running the upper radiator hose feels normal, however once I shut the car off it continues to build pressure. The hose will literally start to expand until it finds a weak spot to leak fluid. I replaced the radiator cap thinking it was defective but the upper hose never get soft after the car is off, even after the car is completely cool. If I start the car, the hose just gets harder and harder. If I leave the cap off, the hose NEVER gets hard. The car maintains between 185 and 195 when running so its not overheating. Yesterday about 4 hours after I shut the car off it started puking antifreeze out of my top hose at the clamp because so much pressure had built up. Any thoughts? It's pissing me off!!!! I am thinking if it was a head gasket it would build pressure in the system pretty quickly.

IMG_4948.jpg

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Hey guys!

Finally got my car back together and running. I am waiting on a track day to take it out and start pitting some power into it.

I am having 1 issue.

I have an aftermarket expansion tank and when the car is running the upper radiator hose feels normal, however once I shut the car off it continues to build pressure. The hose will literally start to expand until it finds a weak spot to leak fluid. I replaced the radiator cap thinking it was defective but the upper hose never get soft after the car is off, even after the car is completely cool. If I start the car, the hose just gets harder and harder. If I leave the cap off, the hose NEVER gets hard. The car maintains between 185 and 195 when running so its not overheating. Yesterday about 4 hours after I shut the car off it started puking antifreeze out of my top hose at the clamp because so much pressure had built up. Any thoughts? It's pissing me off!!!! I am thinking if it was a head gasket it would build pressure in the system pretty quickly.

IMG_4948.jpg
Replace the top hose. If it still happens get rid of the aftermarket expansion tank.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The expansion tank is supposed to have an overflow function to prevent this. The S550 also features a 1.5 Bar radiator cap (to prevent bursting anything more crucial in the system). It sounds like your expansion tank isn't functioning as it should.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at your pictures , I would look at your vapor lines . The line from the radiator I would think should run back to the expansion tank . I wouldn't think they should be tee together at the upper radiator hose housing on the left head .

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Looking at your pictures , I would look at your vapor lines . The line from the radiator I would think should run back to the expansion tank . I wouldn't think they should be tee together at the upper radiator hose housing on the left head .
Yes . I had it running to the water outlet. Both run back to the expansion tank. Anyways... ordered another fitting, and I'm going to run it straight to the degas. I also had the passenger head running to the degas and I think that might have been bad idea.
Sponsored