Sponsored

Old guy Mustang questions.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
what are the chances of you being in a gt and wishing you were in an eco vs in an eco and wishing you were in a gt :crazy:

(coming from someone who had a new eco for all of 3 months lol)
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Itā€™s fine on 87, people saying they hear pinging are exaggerating. The ECM automatically adjusts timing so that there is never dangerous knock. The knock intensity is the same on 93 and 87. It is 100% safe all the time there is no long term downside.
I never said it wasn't 100% safe. The ECM takes care of the pinging pretty quickly by reducing timing. It is just annoying to me to hear and know that the engine is indeed experiencing detonation even if just for a split second. Mine does not do this at all with 93 octane. YMMV, I just like to give mine the best I can. Another case of you do you, but for me, I do what I feel is best.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I never said it wasn't 100% safe. The ECM takes care of the pinging pretty quickly by reducing timing. It is just annoying to me to hear and know that the engine is indeed experiencing detonation even if just for a split second. Mine does not do this at all with 93 octane. YMMV, I just like to give mine the best I can. Another case of you do you, but for me, I do what I feel is best.
The car is always detonating, even on 93. If you hear it on 87 you should be hearing it on 91+

it just adds timing until it knocks and then stops, so it just stops earlier on 87.

I run premium and I think people should because why leave power in the table

Last edited:

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to purchase my cross country sight seeing convertible used Mustang. Question 1 : does a GT really require 90+ octane? and realistically what highway mileage would one get at 80 mph? Questin 2: Since I can't locate GT with the options I want ( 401, active exhaust, safety stuff) would I regret settling for an Ecoboost?
Thanks!
I have both an EcoBoost auto and a GT manual. I like the GT better for the sound and the power. But I am very impressed with how quick the EB is in Sport+ mode. If I used a Mustang as a DD/commuter only I might pick the EB.

My only personal things that I dislike about the EB are the turbo lag and how the A10 downshifts in Sport+ mode. I feel a power surge when it downshifts while braking harder which feels unnatural. Maybe that's just me and I don't know how to drive an auto. šŸ¤£

As for MPG...cruising on the hwy in the GT in 6th I get about 26mpg. Haven't paid attention to the EB.

Sponsored

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
My advice is to rent one for a weekend. Thatā€™s what I did. For me the EB is a very fun car - it simply lacks the muscle + rumble I crave.

This actually just happened to me last week. I was leaving a store parking lot & there was a woman loading up her white EB convert with groceriesā€¦.as I cruised by I told her ā€˜nice ride.ā€™ She turned & replied ā€˜I like yours - you opted for the 5.0 - wish I had.ā€™ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Counterpoint.....

I went from a 2022 GT Coupe M6 to a 2023 Ecoboost convertible M6. I'm much happier with the Ecoboost convertible because #1) Convertible #2) Hated the loud noise level of the GT exhaust. WIth the GT it's impossible to start moving without it sounding like a jack-ass is driving. :) As someone that came from Porsches and BMWs I prefer the engine to 'sing' above 4000-5000 RPM. Not at 1200 RPM. I realize that violates the GT credo, but I guess I'm weird that way.

OP did not specify whether you plan to go with A10 or M6. The Ecoboost works much better with the M6. I had several rental Mustangs with Ecoboost/A10 and it seemed like the A10 was always in the wrong gear. The GTs I drove with A10 did not have this issue.

I got about 26 MPG with the GT Coupe 6MT on the interstate 75-80 MPH. I get about 29-30 MPG with the Ecoboost Convertible on the interstate at 75-80 (Always with the top down). I have about 1700 miles on the convertible in the first month and only the first couple miles of the test drive were with the top up. Ever since the test drive the top has been down. According to EPA ratings the convertible gets about 2 MPG (Highway) less then the Coupe.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Getting ready to purchase my cross country sight seeing convertible used Mustang. Question 1 : does a GT really require 90+ octane? and realistically what highway mileage would one get at 80 mph? Questin 2: Since I can't locate GT with the options I want ( 401, active exhaust, safety stuff) would I regret settling for an Ecoboost?
Thanks!
Auto or 6spd? Rear gear matters also, you could have 3.15 or 3.73 depending on what you get. you can run regular (87) but it does affect drive-ability. I have a GT 6spd, 3.55 gear, with 87 I have to keep the rpm above 2k or the motor really lugs. On a busy highway I find I'm bouncing back and forth between 5th and 6th. Once I can stay above 65mph I can set the cruise. I don't have that condition with 93 octane.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Itā€™s fine on 87, people saying they hear pinging are exaggerating.
The fact that it says in the owners manual that some pinging is normal means no, we are not exaggerating. But it's really up to the owner to decide if it matters to them. I myself am willing to pay the higher price for 91 so I don't have to listen to it. Honesty the way I drive I would never notice a difference in power.

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Around here the gas stations only have 87, 89, and 93 octane. 93 octane costs about 33% more than 87 octane.

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Thanks!
1a) No, a GT does not require 90+. However, I highly suggest that you do use 90+ (premium).
1b) Mileage will be 24-28 mpg, depending on auto or manual (less for manual), top up or top down (less for top down).
2) Get a GT. You would regret getting an EB.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The fact that it says in the owners manual that some pinging is normal means no, we are not exaggerating. But it's really up to the owner to decide if it matters to them. I myself am willing to pay the higher price for 91 so I don't have to listen to it. Honesty the way I drive I would never notice a difference in power.
it will ping on both fuels, 100% guaranteed

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
The car is always detonating, even on 93. If you hear it on 87 you should be hearing it on 91+

it just adds timing until it knocks and then stops, so it just stops earlier on 87.

I run premium and I think people should because why leave power in the table
I agree. Mo power is always better. I just hate the pinging. My F150 with Coyote was flex fuel. It LOVED E85. If it was readily available to me I would get an E85 tune.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I agree. Mo power is always better. I just hate the pinging. My F150 with Coyote was flex fuel. It LOVED E85. If it was readily available to me I would get an E85 tune.
Iā€™m in the same boat, lund sells a flex tune but itā€™s not worth it for me because itā€™s so hard to get.

corn is the move on this car

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I don't want to get into a bun fight here but that is not correct. Both fuel and spark follow a preprogrammed table based on engine rpm, throttle position and MAP sensor (engine load). As long as there is no knocking it will follow the table, which has a maximum value. It does not keep going until something goes wrong. There's no AI in the car, it doesn't learn were the limit is and stay there, it follows the table until it has to pull timing because of knock. Anyone familiar with EFI tuning could confirm that.

My car is a Gen 3 Coyote and the book says the minimum octane is 87 but the recommended octane is 91. So I would assume the fuel and spark tables are based off 91. I don't know if that would be different with either of the first 2 generations.
Sponsored