Oil Level low! Do I need to worry?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is quite interesting.. do you think these engines need more break in period. Also I personally never really reved the car past 5k since I have been driving it for 6k miles.
Well, my car was burning a quart every 1500 miles for a while. Now that I'm at 8,500 miles I have used half a quart in the same time frame. So the fact that it's improving gives some credence to that, because any other mechanical reasons for oil consumption don't improve, they get worse. I'm installing a catch can soon to see if I collect any blow by which will give me more info.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would give it a little time and drive the car hard in between. I have a Gen II and I had more oil consumption when I bought it at 5,800 mi than I do now at 31k.

Overall I wouldn’t be super concerned at this point. As mentioned, you could always begin documentation with the dealership in case you have issues further down the road.

Other thing to check - make sure your oil filter is on tight and not doing a slow drip. Had this happen and it definitely drops the oil level much quicker. Never saw drips on the ground.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Oh hell just beat on it. If it can’t take it, it won’t make it. I bang it off the red line all the time.
Good thought - just don't do any modding until things stabilize. Stress it and if it breaks - warranty claim. If you have no problems, then good. This may not be relevant, but I had a Gen 1 Coyote that consumed a lot of oil, but was still running strong when I sold it at 190K miles.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I want to add my 2 cents. My car was burning oil and I change my oil every 5000 km or so just in case. What really fixed the car was my dealer installed new ECU update from the factory. I know for a fact they have such update for 2019 cars as well as a friend of mine have a 2019 GT which also was burning oil but stoped after the ECU update. Don't know what the difference in the ECU update is but it did the trick on both cars. Also make sure you are checking your oil like after every second gas station visit or at least that's what they advice you to do in the manual. Overall yes this cars burn oil and it's good to change your oil every 4000 miles or so. Mine is sitting in storage in winter so I change it. Once in March, 2nd Time in July at 5000 km after March change and Once in November before I put the car in storage.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never really thought I would need to add oil so I didn't check it that often. How much do you think I need from bottom hole to the middle of the two hours. Like half a quart? Btw I baby this car. Never redlined it. So that is why I was worried if it's normal to burn oil.
I would encourage you to spend some time either full throttle or no throttle to seat the rings better. It might be too late, but it's worth a try. I would recommend something like this:
-Get the car warm driving normally.
-In second or third at about 3,000 rpm floor it and accelerate to about 6,000 rpm. Don't lug the engine by flooring it at low rpm. You also don't need to redline the engine. Make sure you are in a safe area to do this without other cars around.
-Once you reach 6,000 rpm, take your foot completely off the throttle and let the car coast down to 3,000 rpm. Don't use the brake, just coast with zero throttle.
-Repeat this a few times. The more the better.

This is my normal break in process with a new car. I spend as much of the first 1,000 miles as possible at either full or no throttle. I've had really good results doing this.

Back in the day with the 5 QT capacity we would run 4 Qts and this would gain some power.

My Harley if I fill to capacity will use oil till it gets to the 1/2 qt low point. So I fill it 1/2 qt low.

As long as there is oil on the dipstick you are fine.

6000 miles? The engine is not broke in unless you have hammered it.

Fill it with a straight 30 weight non detergent mineral oil, the cheap convenience store crap SA rated oil, get it hot, then do some 2000 to 7000 RPM second gear pulls and let it coast in gear down to 2000 . Do this 10 times and you might seat the rings. (although it is probably too late)

change to your normal oil.
I kind of agree with the mineral oil thing, but I can't make myself recommend an incorrect oil for the engine. Ford's warranty dept. might not like it.

This is quite interesting.. do you think these engines need more break in period. Also I personally never really reved the car past 5k since I have been driving it for 6k miles.
My opinion is that NA gas engines do best when they get lots of hard and zero throttle during break in. RPMs don't matter, but time spent at full throttle and zero throttle helps to bed in the rings better. You want a good ring seal to prevent your engine from burning oil.

And yes, you absolutely want the oil to be between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick. Add oil if you are below the bottom mark. I agree with the people that say check it cold in the morning. I think you will get the most consistent results that way.

Last edited:

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
WHY? Now I'm a 42 year old man not some dumb kid. But with the Borla exhaust the 5.0 just sounds so good from 5-7.4K. It seldom goes all the way to 7.5k. It's designed for that so do it. I just got a new bottom end 4K miles ago and it's used 1 qt of oil every 2k miles so far. I was starting to get worried cause after a hard pull to 7K I have a smell which I can't explain really. I've been thinking it's just the manifolds getting hot and it's a mix if dust and hot metal mixed with a bit of the under hood fiberglass. IDK.

I've build many a motor and I'm a firm believer in a hard break in. I've never had oil consumption issues this way and the minute I got my car back with it's new bottom end I hammered the piss out of it right in front of the dealer. Again it's designed to run in these parameters. Not full time but yeah. Would be a shame never to actually fell those 460 horse's as they are all up top. I personally feel it's the only reason they raised the rev limiter so they could get a bigger gain on the HP numbers.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well, my car was burning a quart every 1500 miles for a while. Now that I'm at 8,500 miles I have used half a quart in the same time frame. So the fact that it's improving gives some credence to that, because any other mechanical reasons for oil consumption don't improve, they get worse. I'm installing a catch can soon to see if I collect any blow by which will give me more info.

Thats where I am...about 1 litre every 1500 miles.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Never redlined it.
What? You're missing out. I must do a burnout a few times a week.

And sometimes I floor it from a roll in first and run all the way up to 7,500, just to hear it. At four and a half grand the tires tend to break loose. It's just great.

There aren't too many V8's you can rev this high. If you're going to baby it then why did you even get the 5.0, for looks? There's a lot of power up top.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've found the reason for your oil consumption;

....I personally never really reved the car past 5k since I have been driving it for 6k miles.
I tell people this all the time, especially here. Do NOT baby your engine from new, you will end up with an oil-burner. Just like the OP here.

You beat on that engine from the moment you drive it off the lot.

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
You beat on that engine from the moment you drive it off the lot.
I generally agree with a harder break in method, but wait until your oil is up to temperature. This generally takes twice as long as the coolant (your temp gauge) so figure 15-20 minutes of easy driving depending on outside temp. Beating a car with cold oil is the quickest way to prematurely cause wear.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
wait until your oil is up to temperature. This generally takes twice as long as the coolant (your temp gauge) so figure 15-20 minutes of easy driving depending on outside temp.
Suspect quicker with S550 5.0s. My oil temp is into the green within a mile and well centered within a few.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I driven my 2020 GT Premium somewhat hard since i got it new and now at 16,000 i have only had to put in 1 quart of oil when I only had 3,000 miles. Yes i do wait until it warms up before any acceleration.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Im using 1qt exactly per 1200 miles since buying the car new, 2020 GT.
Is this cause for concern? Chances of it justifying a new engine by dealer? It seems crazy because essentially I'm having to put 4qts of extra oil in between oil changes at 5k intervals...

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Im using 1qt exactly per 1200 miles since buying the car new, 2020 GT.
Is this cause for concern? Chances of it justifying a new engine by dealer? It seems crazy because essentially I'm having to put 4qts of extra oil in between oil changes at 5k intervals...
Who does your oil changes? Next time it's a quart low take it in so it can get documented. I think that 4 quarts every oil change is to much but I could be wrong. The 2020 GT I had only required 1 quart when I had 3k miles than I never again had to put oil. I think that it came low from factory. My 2021 GT just had its first oil change and I didn't see any low oil issues but it also takes a 5w30 instead of the 5w20 that 2020 GT used.
Sponsored