2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Hey Guys,

I changed the oil on my 2019 GT about 6 months ago. Only drove 3k miles since. Car has about 6k miles. I used 10 quarts of motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend as recommended by the owners manual. I was checking the dips tick today and noted the oil level is a little below the bottom hole on the dipstick. I remember when I did the oil change the oil was between upper and lower holes on dipstick.

Is this normal for this engine to have some oil consumption? How much oil should I add or should I just let it be for now. Sorry for paranoia. Just want to get y'all's advise
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Add oil!
Not sure why that is even a question.

You went 6 months without checking the oil? That's not good.

Yes, many of the 5.0s use oil. Some a little, some a lot. You can get Ford to check it to see if they consider it excessive. Some have been successful in getting a new engine.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey Guys,

I changed the oil on my 2019 GT about 6 months ago. Only drove 3k miles since. Car has about 6k miles. I used 10 quarts of motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend as recommended by the owners manual. I was checking the dips tick today and noted the oil level is a little below the bottom hole on the dipstick. I remember when I did the oil change the oil was between upper and lower holes on dipstick.

Is this normal for this engine to have some oil consumption? How much oil should I add or should I just let it be for now. Sorry for paranoia. Just want to get y'all's advise
Did you track the car? How and when did you measure? All of those are important. Checking in the morning after the car is cooled off is ideal way to tell vs. 15 mins after it's shut off.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
check it 15 mins after car is cooled off, but also next day after sitting all night.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Did you track the car? How and when did you measure? All of those are important. Checking in the morning after the car is cooled off is ideal way to tell vs. 15 mins after it's shut off.
I guess I need to wait till the morning. I checked it an hour after I came back from work. Car was still hot. I never tracked this car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Add oil!
Not sure why that is even a question.

You went 6 months without checking the oil? That's not good.

Yes, many of the 5.0s use oil. Some a little, some a lot. You can get Ford to check it to see if they consider it excessive. Some have been successful in getting a new engine.
I never really thought I would need to add oil so I didn't check it that often. How much do you think I need from bottom hole to the middle of the two hours. Like half a quart? Btw I baby this car. Never redlined it. So that is why I was worried if it's normal to burn oil.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don' think its a problem but since an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, good idea to check level in any car as often as owners manual recommends/requires and more often if any doubts.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I never really thought I would need to add oil so I didn't check it that often. How much do you think I need from bottom hole to the middle of the two hours. Like half a quart? Btw I baby this car. Never redlined it. So that is why I was worried if it's normal to burn oil.
Hello; Why not try adding half a quart and then check. Add more and then check. You will get some idea of what it takes to get it topped up after a while.
I do not know if Ford did this to the Mustang dipstick but for the F-150 with a V8 they started changing the one quart to low dipstick to a two quart to low dipstick. Found this in a TSB from Ford about excessive oil consumption in the F-150.
Good luck

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you never are hitting redline it shouldn't be burning any. Bottom hole to top hole is 1 quart. You can just fill to the top hole without any issues.
Hello; Why not try adding half a quart and then check. Add more and then check. You will get some idea of what it takes to get it topped up after a while.
I do not know if Ford did this to the Mustang dipstick but for the F-150 with a V8 they started changing the one quart to low dipstick to a two quart to low dipstick. Found this in a TSB from Ford about excessive oil consumption in the F-150.
Good luck
Sounds like a typical cheap strategy to avoid replacing engines lol

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Sounds like a bit more than half a quart which in 3000 miles isn't a problem but yeah check it once in a while to be safe.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Back in the day with the 5 QT capacity we would run 4 Qts and this would gain some power.

My Harley if I fill to capacity will use oil till it gets to the 1/2 qt low point. So I fill it 1/2 qt low.

As long as there is oil on the dipstick you are fine.

6000 miles? The engine is not broke in unless you have hammered it.

Fill it with a straight 30 weight non detergent mineral oil, the cheap convenience store crap SA rated oil, get it hot, then do some 2000 to 7000 RPM second gear pulls and let it coast in gear down to 2000 . Do this 10 times and you might seat the rings. (although it is probably too late)

change to your normal oil.

Last edited:

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
I checked mine for the first time after changing oil 4K miles ago. It’s down about a 1/2 quart. I’ll leave it for another 1k miles then change it. It’s still got lots of oil.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Seat your rings. supposedly they do it at the factory, but with all the high oil consumption rates, does it happen?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seat your rings. supposedly they do it at the factory, but with all the high oil consumption rates, does it happen?
I think it's not as straightforward as that with the Gen 3 engines with the plasma liners. Apparently it's much harder than steel so the seating process can take much longer.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I think it's not as straightforward as that with the Gen 3 engines with the plasma liners. Apparently it's much harder than steel so the seating process can take much longer.
This is quite interesting.. do you think these engines need more break in period. Also I personally never really reved the car past 5k since I have been driving it for 6k miles.
Sponsored