Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I hate mine.... anyone want it? Pulling it anyway since I'm trading the car in. The biggest negative has been going in to google maps 3 times before it starts working and screen shuts off and on after an hour or so of driving. 2GB 32g version. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/133271047607 base model install
Is it the the actual one off Ebay you linked?

From what I understand, Phoenix Automotive was saying they had tons of problems with the screens on the units with that flat panel format. Not just theirs, but most of them sold from China. Phoenix recently said they have fixed the problem, and all the new units work as they should. Not sure about all those cheaper ones on Ebay though.
Sponsored

Comporange93611

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue 2020 LFP Mustang GT
Is it the the actual one off Ebay you linked?

From what I understand, Phoenix Automotive was saying they had tons of problems with the screens on the units with that flat panel format. Not just theirs, but most of them sold from China. Phoenix recently said they have fixed the problem, and all the new units work as they should. Not sure about all those cheaper ones on Ebay though.
It's the same ebay unit. Same seller

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's a crazy question. I ordered a 1080p Dash Cam....

...How many of you guys have hooked up a 1080p Dash Cam to the Phoenix/Tesla Unit?

Results?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All is good so far. I haven't seen any bleed or flickering.
We'll, I got my PX6 hooked up last night to my base model Sync-1unit. There's two questions I have.

1. When I bring up the Sync tuner and go into settings, I can read the Outside Air Temperature, but how do I get that to display on the top task bar so I can see it at all times?

2. There are two knobs on the dash. The left is volume, but when I rotate the right knob, nothing happens. I thought it was for temp Control or something. How do I program that to work?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
We'll, I got my PX6 hooked up last night to my base model Sync-1unit. There's two questions I have.

1. When I bring up the Sync tuner and go into settings, I can read the Outside Air Temperature, but how do I get that to display on the top task bar so I can see it at all times?

2. There are two knobs on the dash. The left is volume, but when I rotate the right knob, nothing happens. I thought it was for temp Control or something. How do I program that to work?
1 - if you figure that out let me know, I haven't.
2- right knob in mine changes song, but I think you can edit that

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
1 - if you figure that out let me know, I haven't.
2- right knob in mine changes song, but I think you can edit that
To be honest, I wish I could edit the volume knob to be fan speed, and the right knob to be temperature.

Also, in the A/C control software, what is the "Auto" button for? Next to that is the Auto AC, but not sure what just Auto is for.

And how the heck DO I edit that knob. This thing is more complicated than my PC. :explode:

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
To be honest, I wish I could edit the volume knob to be fan speed, and the right knob to be temperature.

Also, in the A/C control software, what is the "Auto" button for? Next to that is the Auto AC, but not sure what just Auto is for.

And how the heck DO I edit that knob. This thing is more complicated than my PC. :explode:

In the first px6 unit I had the auto feature seemingly turned the fan speed up or down when the temp was reached. In the fixed screen replacement, I haven't spent much time with it, being winter at all.

There is a menu that requires a password, Phoenix Facebook had the password. I'm not sure you can change the volume knob yet, but its just software. I can look when I'm at my car

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
Here's a crazy question. I ordered a 1080p Dash Cam....

...How many of you guys have hooked up a 1080p Dash Cam to the Phoenix/Tesla Unit?

Results?
As long as your dash cam has an app in the play store you can. You just log in to your dash cam's wif and you can see the dashcam footage on the unit through the app. I did it in mine but it was too distracting so I uninstalled the app on the PX6.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As long as your dash cam has an app in the play store you can. You just log in to your dash cam's wif and you can see the dashcam footage on the unit through the app. I did it in mine but it was too distracting so I uninstalled the app on the PX6.
Yes. Mine actually has an automatic loading of the appropriate app for that camera. The moment you plug in the USB, it loads the app into the Nand on the head unit.
At first, it wasn't working right. All I did to fix it, was plug it into the other USB plug the head unit came with. Works all the time now.
And you're right. It is distracting to have the app on when driving. I just leave it running the background to record.

WavnAtCha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium High Performance Package Outlaw #028
Vehicle Showcase
I am super pleased with the Phoenix version of this unit. I upgraded to the original Tesla unit back in 2016 but the screen started flickering and it was SOOOOO SLOW to boot up. This one is working much better. Although I can't seem to get the SYNC to work properly. My phone's bluetooth hooks up flawlessly with it and I can use it, the SYNC doesn't seem to want to play at the same time. Perhaps the SYNC unit was damaged during installation(?) The CarPlay dongle isn't the smoothest operation either, but I have the same apps installed directly on the unit and that works perfectly. I am also having difficulty reading my USB drive to play music from. Anybody have any tricks?

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine seems to work as it should. I figured out to have Bluetooth work automatically, I had to make sure I did not use the wifi hot spot and the phone connectivity setup on the head unit. You have to make sure Bluetooth is properly setup on the old head unit, before install the Phoenix head unit.

As far as getting the player to work, that has to be a software or interface glitch with the decoder box. Mine works well. The only glitch mine has, is the song advance and return buttons on the steering wheel. The tend to only want to go forward, and sometimes skip songs when advancing.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I can no longer disable advancetrac I can turn of tc. Anyone else have the same experience with the px6

carter242000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford mustang ecoboost base model
Ok, so no issues so far? I am having my 3rd sent to me. The first 2 (july and aug) were in the bad batch and died a quick death.

Any light bleed around the edges? Any flickering when the alternator is running?
How did you manage a return? I can't get a response from Phoenix Automotive.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just thought I'd update my earlier post. When using the Sync functions on the PX6, the forward and reverse buttons on the steering wheel for music does not work as it really should. So I gave up on using the Sync functions, except for my phone, which I really like using voice command for.

Now, I prefer the supplied Music player that came preloaded on the unit. It has a much better DSP, with a loudness selection and better EQ options. Also, the forward and reverse buttons for selecting songs works exactly as it should. After having this system for about 6 months now, I have to say I really like it. Especially since I got the Torque App working just like I prefer with Outside Air temp, and GPS data, with bearing and altitude, etc.

carter242000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford mustang ecoboost base model
Just thought I'd update my earlier post. When using the Sync functions on the PX6, the forward and reverse buttons on the steering wheel for music does not work as it really should. So I gave up on using the Sync functions, except for my phone, which I really like using voice command for.

Now, I prefer the supplied Music player that came preloaded on the unit. It has a much better DSP, with a loudness selection and better EQ options. Also, the forward and reverse buttons for selecting songs works exactly as it should. After having this system for about 6 months now, I have to say I really like it. Especially since I got the Torque App working just like I prefer with Outside Air temp, and GPS data, with bearing and altitude, etc.
Awesome thank you for the update. I am currently trying to send back an incorrect unit and have ordered a replacement for my 2019 ford mustang ecoboost base model. It's the 10.4 Px6 4gb 64gb android 9. Hope it's the correct one this time. I didn't realize that although my car has sync 1 software it still utilizes the sync 3 module and thus the confusion on which unit was correct.
Sponsored