Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

ChrisEvans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1990 mustang
Hello...I just bought a 2018 GT & has the"tesla screen" in it (the dealer I bought it from said they sold the car new & had it installed)...
My question is... the mode switch doesnt change from - sport - to track or anything (actually it doesnt even come up on the dash)...when I do hit the button it starts going thru things on the screen - NOT the dash ? I'm lost lol
Any help? Thx

20201209_200709.jpg
Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Hello...I just bought a 2018 GT & has the"tesla screen" in it (the dealer I bought it from said they sold the car new & had it installed)...
My question is... the mode switch doesnt change from - sport - to track or anything (actually it doesnt even come up on the dash)...when I do hit the button it starts going thru things on the screen - NOT the dash ? I'm lost lol
Any help? Thx

20201209_200709.jpg
Im no expert on all things mustang. That screen wasn't from the factory. That is the older unit, the newer px6 version is much more powerful and fast to boot. The base models don't have drive modes, so on a base models the toggles don't do anything. What options does the car have? Active exhaust/magnaride/pp1?

ChrisEvans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1990 mustang
It is a base GT , but I thought since it had the chrome switches - it would change the mode to sport / drag whatever... instead when I hit that switch it just changes stuff on the screen ?

darren13skylark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I have the crazy base system with the tiny little screen. Where is the best place to buy one of the Tesla style radios? Thanks for any info!

Cody_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
APK Manager updated! (Custom ROM added) - (New Launcher Added. Only 3 colors available for now...) - (New Radio dark theme added). I also added a README.txt in the Custom ROM's folder.

Enjoy!
I know this is an old thread but I’m so deep into reading it I would love that user interface you made how do I get it lol

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Has anyone attempted to use Android Auto on this unit? I am interested in how well it functions. I'm specifically referring to this unit:
https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...g-and-shelby-2015-2019?variant=32213224489006
That's the exact unit I'm selling used from my car. You don't need Android auto. It is a full Android unit and runs all apps just like your phone. Android auto would be redundant and isn't needed with these units. But yes if you want to run it for some reason it runs it just fine. It does anything your phone does. It's a full Android unit.

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Has anyone attempted to use Android Auto on this unit? I am interested in how well it functions. I'm specifically referring to this unit:
https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...g-and-shelby-2015-2019?variant=32213224489006
It runs okay with the built in app (ZLink), and slightly better with HeadUnitReloaded (from the Play Store) though it take a bit of setting up. It's not as responsive as a standard Android Auto setup though (like with Sync 3). I'd say there's maybe 0.25s lag after tapping something. The best setup for AA is using HeadUnitReloaded and another app to hide the top/bottom bars, that way you can have it use the entire screen.

That's the exact unit I'm selling used from my car. You don't need Android auto. It is a full Android unit and runs all apps just like your phone. Android auto would be redundant and isn't needed with these units. But yes if you want to run it for some reason it runs it just fine. It does anything your phone does. It's a full Android unit.
Android Auto has a much more usable interface whilst driving, and you also don't need to mess around with hotspots to get internet. It's also nice to be able to jump in any car and get the same UI up instantly.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Android Auto has a much more usable interface whilst driving, and you also don't need to mess around with hotspots to get internet. It's also nice to be able to jump in any car and get the same UI up instantly.
To each thier own I just dont see why spend 700 plus bucks on an android head unit to then just keep using your phone to do the same things you did before spending 700 on an android head unit. then why buy the head unit? I got mine so I could get rid of using my phone and have a full android experience built into the car. It was much easier to find things and se icon and such on a 10 inch screen compared to trying to touch a icon on a 3 inch screen while bouncing around n a car. No really trying to dog on anyone. but I just saw this alot with these units. people spend all this money and time on these and then just kept using their phones. I guess i dont see the point. but anyway I think the units are great and I have mine used only about 4 months and is in brand new shape if anyone want to save a couple hundred bucks. sold car is why I have it for sale.

Sponsored

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
To each thier own I just dont see why spend 700 plus bucks on an android head unit to then just keep using your phone to do the same things you did before spending 700 on an android head unit. then why buy the head unit? I got mine so I could get rid of using my phone and have a full android experience built into the car. It was much easier to find things and se icon and such on a 10 inch screen compared to trying to touch a icon on a 3 inch screen while bouncing around n a car. No really trying to dog on anyone. but I just saw this alot with these units. people spend all this money and time on these and then just kept using their phones. I guess i dont see the point. but anyway I think the units are great and I have mine used only about 4 months and is in brand new shape if anyone want to save a couple hundred bucks. sold car is why I have it for sale.
But you're not using your phone? You plug your phone into the head unit, then use the 10" touch screen to control it. It sounds like maybe you've never actually used AA/CarPlay... It's not just your phone screen mirrored, it has special versions of apps that are optimised for use whilst driving (i.e. better layouts, bigger icons, etc.).

How much are you actually doing whilst driving? Hopefully not very much! For the few things I need to do (change song in spotify, change navigation in google maps, etc) the interfaces for AA or CarPlay are much easier to use and require less attention taken away from the road. Plus your phone gets charged at the same time, and I can set up destination/music whilst walking to my car rather than waiting for everything to load once I turn it on.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
But you're not using your phone? You plug your phone into the head unit, then use the 10" touch screen to control it. It sounds like maybe you've never actually used AA/CarPlay... It's not just your phone screen mirrored, it has special versions of apps that are optimised for use whilst driving (i.e. better layouts, bigger icons, etc.).

How much are you actually doing whilst driving? Hopefully not very much! For the few things I need to do (change song in spotify, change navigation in google maps, etc) the interfaces for AA or CarPlay are much easier to use and require less attention taken away from the road. Plus your phone gets charged at the same time, and I can set up destination/music whilst walking to my car rather than waiting for everything to load once I turn it on.
To each thier own. Wasn't arguing . But it doesn't sound like you even use the head unit so why get it if you just do everything through phone?

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
These would be much more attractive in the UI/UX wasn't so bad. I would 100% purchase one of these if I could get a "stock" Ford Sync theme on it without the need for mis-matched buttons, outdated UX styles, and overall aftermarket look of it. It would be sick if you could get something that looked like Sync 4 out of a Mach-E or F-150 on here. Wishful thinking of course.

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium mustang
To each thier own. Wasn't arguing . But it doesn't sound like you even use the head unit so why get it if you just do everything through phone?
So i can install Amazon music and use voice to play songs? And the head unit looks this cool.
And my Navigation screen is much bigger?
Im sold,
Hey Briebee you still have this unit for sale?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So i can install Amazon music and use voice to play songs? And the head unit looks this cool.
And my Navigation screen is much bigger?
Im sold,
Hey Briebee you still have this unit for sale?
Yes I do. Pm me.
Sponsored