Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I chose the AA option and I've only used it once. It only uses half the screen and really just looks like the SYNC 3 version of AA.

The plus is u dont have to turn on your mobile hotspot and kill your phone battery, but it's not a big deal.
I know, but even using Google Maps, I won't even need my phone, since I can download the regional Maps. I'm thinking it may not even be worth it. I just wish the PX6 software music player had a good DSP built in with full equalizer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
If I really like using the Sync system, do I really need the $40 Android Auto built in addition with the PX6?

Android Auto seems pretty neat. I just don't know if I really need it.

There are wireless versions made. I hate having to plug in my phone.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There are wireless versions made. I hate having to plug in my phone.
Wait, I'm not sure how that $40 Android Auto add-on works then. Is it a module they build into the back? Does it allow you to operate without needing your phone as a hot spot? Wouldn't you need an extra data subscription through the phone company to do that then?

Last edited:

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
Wait, I'm not sure how that $40 Android Auto add-on works then. Is it a module they build into the back? Does it allow you to operate without needing your phone as a hot spot? Wouldn't you need an extra data subscription through the phone company to do that then?

Yea they preinstall the Android Auto module for an extra $15 I think it was at initial purchase. To add it on after the fact they charge $40 I believe. With android auto you dont need to use a hotspot, it uses your phones data. Without it you have to turn on a hotspot in order to get data to your PX6.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yea they preinstall the Android Auto module for an extra $15 I think it was at initial purchase. To add it on after the fact they charge $40 I believe. With android auto you dont need to use a hotspot, it uses your phones data. Without it you have to turn on a hotspot in order to get data to your PX6.
But doesn't the basic PX6 unit have BlueTooth connectivity to your phone to begin with? Can't I run Google Maps, surf the internet, etc. Isn't it already using phone data in that case? I'm confused....

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
But doesn't the basic PX6 unit have BlueTooth connectivity to your phone to begin with? Can't I run Google Maps, surf the internet, etc. Isn't it already using phone data in that case? I'm confused....
Bluetooth just connects the two devices to play audio, it doesnt provide data. The PX6 is basically an Android Tablet. It still needs a data connection to use any apps like google maps, web browser etc.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a wireless android auto adapter you use?
No, I know they exist. I think AA is sort of redundant to the px6. I use tasker to auto start/kill mobile hotspot

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I think mobile hotspot is now free on most carriers, it wasn't on the past. Most phones will also share data via Bluetooth, plugged in via USB or on a qi charger.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
But in the prior posts you've mentioned you like the sync retention. You're going to want your phone to bluetooth connect to sync not to the px6. You can double connect or split media/phone to two different receivers depending on the phone.

Google maps only (I think) let's you DL small areas of the map. Here we go or TomTom go let's you get the whole nation for off line use. Both will get traffic info with a data connection. Tomtomgo's ui is worth the 20 bucks to me

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
But in the prior posts you've mentioned you like the sync retention. You're going to want your phone to bluetooth connect to sync not to the px6. You can double connect or split media/phone to two different receivers depending on the phone.

Google maps only (I think) let's you DL small areas of the map. Here we go or TomTom go let's you get the whole nation for off line use. Both will get traffic info with a data connection. Tomtomgo's ui is worth the 20 bucks to me
Yes, I want to retain Sync. However, since my phone is connected via bluetooth, won't it allow me to run Google Maps in the PX6 using my phone then as a hotspot for data without needing Android Auto?

Basically, if I can run Google Maps with my phone as a hotspot for data, why would I need to get Android Auto?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I want to retain Sync. However, since my phone is connected via bluetooth, won't it allow me to run Google Maps in the PX6 using my phone then as a hotspot for data without needing Android Auto?

You're phone is either going to connect to sync (voice button in steering wheel still works, factory mic etc) or the px6, no more sync for calling. Some phones can dual connect.

Basically, if I can run Google Maps with my phone as a hotspot for data, why would I need to get Android Auto?
I don't run AA, tried it, the px6 unit offers everything AA does but bigger and better

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Can the PX6 take a sim card directly? Then you could get a data-only plan, and not have to worry about your phone.

Comporange93611

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue 2020 LFP Mustang GT