Sponsored

Tesla head unit (viper tech)

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Does anyone have this head unit? I'm a fan of Tesla and love the size of the screen. I have seen many complaints of issues with this unit even though they claim direct plug and play. I can't even find where to buy it lol. Does anyone have any insight on this? Any current owner feedback would be great, thx
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=22748]soldier989[/MENTION] has one up for sale right now

OP
OP
Cobo_pro

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Thanks for letting me know, I'm trying to get a bunch of info on it before making the decision to go with any set up. If he's still selling when I decide on it, that would be serendipitous!

OP
OP
Cobo_pro

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Just looked at his post, it has broken parts and it's a first gen, thanks for the info though :thumbsup:

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobo_pro

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Thanks bro, that's a great link with a bunch of info. Unfortunately m6g search doesn't work whole I'm on my phone so i can't search for stuff like that on my own. Very helpful. That's crazy. It seems as though it's a 50/50 people that are for it and against it. Super gamble. That being said, the crazier part is that you don't have e people saying how the have it and how much they love it, only those who said it's a "brick" in their garage and will never get that money and time back. Hopefully there will be something like this that is very well functioning in the future!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The people saying they'll never get money and time back are the ones that have a premium mustang and bought it in hopes that a fix would be worked out, but there hasn't been one so the Tesla unit won't work in their cars. If you've got a base unit, it should work fine.

OP
OP
Cobo_pro

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The people saying they'll never get money and time back are the ones that have a premium mustang and bought it in hopes that a fix would be worked out, but there hasn't been one so the Tesla unit won't work in their cars. If you've got a base unit, it should work fine.
Makes sense, do you have this head unit?

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Aren't there multiple options on this now? If so, which is the best? Is it now truly plug and play??

OP
OP
Cobo_pro

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Those are great questions :bump:

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Just looked at his post, it has broken parts and it's a first gen, thanks for the info though :thumbsup:
Its got 1 dead LED, an LED that only turns on when the AC is on. Its a pointless button because when the AC is on, it lights up on the screen.

I'll wire in a new RCA tip, one that is much higher quality than the cheap one that came with it. For $160 off, 1 bad LED is a hell of a discount.

Additionally, there's no benefit of the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen actually has an internal WiFi antenna that sucks and people have issues with changing the boot screen. I imagine the install if that unit is a bit trickier since its much more awkward to run the wiring harnesses to the back of the "all in one" unit, with limited room.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense, do you have this head unit?
I do not, I'm part of the group buy for the 8" unit. I didn't like the way the Tesla took up everything and there were no more physical controls so I didn't join that one. Hopefully the group buy comes through for me.

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Thanks bro, that's a great link with a bunch of info. Unfortunately m6g search doesn't work whole I'm on my phone so i can't search for stuff like that on my own. Very helpful. That's crazy. It seems as though it's a 50/50 people that are for it and against it. Super gamble. That being said, the crazier part is that you don't have e people saying how the have it and how much they love it, only those who said it's a "brick" in their garage and will never get that money and time back. Hopefully there will be something like this that is very well functioning in the future!
TBH I love mine. The people that dislike it are the one that don't like to deal with too much Touchscreen while driving. However, you'll get the hang of it if it's what you like. It's probably one of the most supported platform right now for our S550. Lately I've been busy but a new custom rom should release pretty soon. I just need to redesign the AC controller and tweak some coding then it'll be out :D Other that doesn't like it are the one that have a Premium model but I believe they're working on new harnesses for Premium cars. If you love techs and unique design Tesla's HU is for you :p (Bonus: For base model owner thanks to premium bezel like that one. You can enable drive mode (Yup, even on a V6 :D). It requires a little bit of time but you can get that drive mode enable on your S550 and save some money instead of buying a tuner if you're looking at one lol. Obviously a tuner is better but if you're on a budget and wanna feel a different animal then enable it!)

Aren't there multiple options on this now? If so, which is the best? Is it now truly plug and play??
It is the most plug and play Android HU so far. No need to unsolder knob or anything to swap from OEM. You open the box and it's ready to be plugged in and enjoy it as much as you can lol. On long trip I share my WiFi and watch live TV or movies on it but on short trip I'll listen to Spotify and put Waze as GPS (GPS is lovely on this screen!!!). I don't know how the 64gb will react to one of my Custom ROM so I highly recommend you to get a 32gb. 2nd gen is a little bit of a cleaner install IMHO and easier to reflash the HU if it's softbricked :D

My 0.02 cts :cheers:

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Which one to buy though? Viper tech, Phoenix?

And do they have RCA outs to add an amp?

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
They're all the same.
Sponsored

Last edited: