Not impressed with steeda clutch spring

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by kenand1988, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Whiplash473

Whiplash473 Active Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT/PP | '94 GT stroker
    0   0   0
    I've always had standard trans cars but never had one with a hydraulic clutch (I know they've been out for a while but I don't replace my vehicles as often as most people) so this helper spring thing is all new to me. I pulled it out when I first bought the car but didn't realize it could cause any issue. I still don't completely buy the idea.

2. dman

dman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 gt pp lightning
    0   0   0
    why car people can be the best...except into turn 1 on occasion. be glad to cover cost. i'm in ventura so not too far off. always thought a 30% spring rate would be the best of both. a little more feel and complete pedal return. let me know. I also give parts to needy 'stangers. car-ma lol dman

3. Ltsrock

Ltsrock Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350r Lightning Blue HR304
    0   0   0
    Would you please post the part number for the 60lb spring for reference if needed. Once I get mine installed I may want to check this out if the feel seems weird, nice to know that there are other options out there.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  4. DivineStrike

DivineStrike Doomsday

Vehicle(s):
    15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
    0   0   0
    #44 DivineStrike, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    I had to replace my clutch at around 40k miles. I had no spring for most of those miles. Correlation isn’t causation but I do believe it didn’t help matters that’s for certain. I probably had about an inch of play at top without the spring. Since the new clutch I’ve had the Steeda theres definitely a difference in feel but not that much. So I’m happy with it.

With previous cars I was much harder on them and clutches lasted me easily 60k+ miles

5. Whiplash473

Whiplash473 Active Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT/PP | '94 GT stroker
    0   0   0
    This is where I get confused when reading up on all of this. I've got maybe a half inch of dead space at the top. It seems most people have much more play.

6. Grimace427

Grimace427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    0   0   0

65k miles on my no-spring 2011(same hydraulic system) with original clutch. Nary an issue with the clutch nor cruise control. Several dozen 1/4 mile runs plus the Texas mile and daily commuting through northern Virginia traffic.

7. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Gearshifter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
    0   0   0
    Even with the spring I find that every now and then I have to put a toe under the pedal and pull it out all of the way even when the clutch is fully engaged. I think it has something to do with the self-bleeding system.

BmacIL likes this.
  8. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Same.

9. GregO

GregO Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    S550 GTPP
    0   0   0
    Stretch it out from 2.50" to 3.25".
    You won't regret it.

10. Ltsrock

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I got the new one installed yesterday but won't be able to test it out until the snow and cold end.
    The removal was just as I've whined about, came out with a twist and shout. I have no idea how I'd reinstall the original without creating some kind of special tool. The GT350 large spring gives you very little to "visegrip". IMG_6814.JPG IMG_6816.JPG

11. LIGHTNING350

LIGHTNING350 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 shelby Gt350
    Garage Profiles:
    Ignoring ignorant people
    0   0   0
    I have change mine so many times from being indecisive that I can literally do the swap in less then two minutes. The first time I ever did it though it took me much longer. At least 10-15 minutes to figure it all out.
    I have had my car now for about 9 months and I'm still undecided what I like best. Stock or steeda or no spring. I think no spring is my favorite but unfortunately rolling like that I have like a half inch of play in the top of the pedal if you just touch it with your finger. So ultimately I don't know if that's harming anything so I keep going back and fourth from steeda to stock.

Honestly like stock just fine and I like the ease of clutching. The only reason I disliked it and changed it was 1-2 shifts are horrible.
    If I can put it in for awhile without touching it I'm sure I could master that one to two shift after awhile and may go this route.
    I also would like to try that one dudes idea with the toyota 60# spring - see how that is.

12. dman

dman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 gt pp lightning
    0   0   0
    that's...Tacoma, not Toyota. the company is Tacoma Screw Products. i swapped out my Steeda to try the 60#. only a slight difference. so close, i left it in.
    it may be a little lighter but not like stock...I prefer some tension/point of engagement. dman

13. LIGHTNING350

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 shelby Gt350
    Garage Profiles:
    Ignoring ignorant people
    0   0   0
    Oh got ya. My bad.
    I actually just took out the steeda spring that i've had on for about 1000 miles (got caught up in the hype of it) and put the stocker back on. Some will laugh but after about ten or so miles driving in city type driving with some open road bashing, I loved it. First to second was a little harsh at first but I got use to it quick in my 100 mile or so cruise. I also found shifting was more enjoyable with the stock spring. Plus I love love the lighter feel, its effortless.
    I kept reading car reviewers, pro drivers and even talking to people who know how to drive on a professional level never change the spring or do anything with it. So I had to put it back in and try it again, I'm leaving it. You really do get use to it and the ease of operation is nice. This is my 10th manual mustang, never changed a clutch spring ever. I guess I won't now either.
    Just my take though fellas , enjoy what you feel is most comfortable.

14. dman

dman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 gt pp lightning
    0   0   0
    #54 dman, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    appreciate what you said. sometimes, there's too much traffic on the info highway...I didn't like the feel of "where is the clutch" in my '17. don't know if you don't go and for the cost, got steeda. I've driven several track cars with factory and really didn't think about it. more concerned with tranny/shifter mounts.
    enjoy what works for you...each to their own. dman just realized I landed in Shelbyland! with the dual spring, might be
    quite different from single spring GT's to begin with, but I've driven several 350's as well.

15. Ltsrock

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Yes I'm not crazy about the feel of the steeda spring mod, starting from a stop sucks even more now and the 1st - 2nd shift is horrible for me, YMMV. When I get a opportunity I'll be putting my car back to the stock spring. As you said, it took me awhile to figure out how to remove the stock spring, I'm sure it'll be similar when I try re-installing the original spring.

16. LIGHTNING350

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 shelby Gt350
    Garage Profiles:
    Ignoring ignorant people
    0   0   0
    I agree and glad I don't stand alone on this. After putting the stock back in and getting use to first to second again it is great. The steeda in comparison is less smooth for me, actually in every gear it is. I have to let myself stop getting caught up in the hype of certain mods. Any mod you do is not for everyone for sure. Everyone's comfort with driving is different for the most part.
    The first time I did the swap it may of taking me ten or fifteen minutes tops, now it takes me literally a couple minutes. Super easy though.

Ltsrock likes this.
  17. Hadelson

Hadelson Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Hugo
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT, PP1, 6 speed; 17 4Runner TRD Pro
    0   0   0
    Just installed the STEEDA Spring yesterday. Drove to work today in some stop and go traffic. It felt pretty good and experienced IMO smoother shifts

A7X likes this.
  18. A7X

A7X Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
    0   0   0
    That's my experience as well. I'm leaving my Steeda spring in.

19. tj@steeda

[email protected] Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Great choice :shock:

A7X likes this.
  20. GregO

GregO Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    S550 GTPP
    0   0   0
    Stretch it to 3.25” and double check the slave cylinder hydraulic hose attached to the master cylinder.
    I like everything about the Steeda spring after I stretched it a bit.