Sponsored

Nitto NT01 tires, 305/30zr19 front, 315/30zr20 back?

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hello! Newb here. I did do some homework, but still have questions!

I'm thinking to get Nitto NT01's for my 350 (non-R), 305/30zr19 on the front, and 315/30zr20 on the back, to deviate from the stock Michelin PSS and try something new.

I chose those Nitto tire sizes because they both have (Y) speed ratings. The 325/30zr19 NT01 tire has a W rating.

I want to be as safe as I can be when going 150+ mph, so I think (Y) would be better for all tires, right? (If I've learned one thing during my foray into fast-car world with a Shelby GT350, it is not that hard to get to 150+ mph in a GT350). Plus the OE PSS tires are all (Y) so W seems like a downgrade. Is it not really a big deal? When does W vs (Y) make a difference?

This means I would need a 19" wheel on front, and a 20" wheel on back. Would the change in diameter be ok? My gut feeling is yes.

The aspect is smaller than the 35 on OE GT350 PSS's, so I suppose this gives me the room for more wheel diameter on back with the 30 aspect NT01's, so the back total diameter might be similar to before, but the front will be overall about 1" less.

I'm guessing this isn't a big deal, right?

As for wheel sizes, I'm thinking 19/11 front, 20/11 rear. Those are the widest options in the wheel brand I'm eyeballing (Variant Wheels, which seems to have some of the best prices for fully forged wheels).

These are the wheels I'm looking at:

Front: https://tinyurl.com/9wzuava3

Back: https://tinyurl.com/ap82drk9

How do those sizes sound for the tires? Is there anything wrong with the tire/wheel sizing on a GT350 that a newb like me should know about?

Oh! Also, what are good wheel offsets? I imagine it matters more for the front because wrong values could make the tires rub the wheel wells, right ? For the back, I've seen offsets that make the tires stick out a little more, giving a beefier look and slightly wider stance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, just do 305/30ZR/19 on all four corners if you must try Nitto NT01s.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One thing I didn't see mentioned - what's your use case? Street driving? Track?

The NT01s will be pretty terrible street tires

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@honeybadger

Why is that? I heard it's really hard compound that is somehow really sticky?

Quoting someone from the Porsche Forums, "NT01 is horrible on the street, like sitting in a drum, and useless in rain."

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@honeybadger

They're noisy, hard until up to temp, and generally pretty tempermental. It's important to keep in mind NT01s were designed back when Cup2-like tires weren't really a big thing yet (track and street focused). The NT01s are really track focused. They work on the street, but they were 90% designed for track use. Nothing will make you appreciate how good Cup2s are on the street until you try old track tires like NT01s, RE11s, R888Rs, etc.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What's the point of 2 different sized tires (on same width wheel) and 2 different sized wheels?

Why not a square 19x11 (or 20x11) with 305s on all of them?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What's the point of 2 different sized tires (on same width wheel) and 2 different sized wheels?

*Technically, this car handles better with the staggered setup if you're really pushing the car to the limit. If you really push it hard, you want all the tire you can get in the rear.

But for street use/normal human use - I agree. Square is ideal

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
*Technically, this car handles better with the staggered setup if you're really pushing the car to the limit. If you really push it hard, you want all the tire you can get in the rear.
So a 305/19 + 315/20 slight stagger as the OP mentioned will handle better than say 315/20 squared? Is it more about the stagger or more about the wider tire?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have Nitto 305's all the way around
Great tires
Never heard "great tires" and Nitto in the same sentence.

I try to stick with Michelin 100%. THOSE are great tires.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Never heard "great tires" and Nitto in the same sentence.

I try to stick with Michelin 100%. THOSE are great tires.
Not all Nittos are created the same. 555G2s...yeah garbage tires no matter the situation. NT01s...great and long lasting track tires. NT05Rs...great drag strip tires.

Are there better track and/or drag strip tires? Sure. But those ain't as bad as some of their budget street tires.

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
what's your use case? Street driving? Track?
I am a newb here, but the extra stickyness seems appealing: I thought I might enjoy more stick even on the street to take harder turns with (despite if that means more noise and discomfort, or having to drive slow/carefully on rainy days). I was thinking similar to what I hear about getting a sport-only suspension: less comfort (stiffer/bumpier) but perhaps more enjoyment of the control.

But! I also just think the NT01 and R888R tread designs looks awesome: mean, giving a car more of a powerful beast look. The Michelin tread designs are more reserved. The Nitto INVO has an interesting digital tread art piece, but also not muscular and mean.

So I thought: what the heck: I may as well experience the tires (and enjoy their looks) and learn for myself what it is like to actually drive them (street or track, though I still need to hit a track for the first time...).

Because it turns out Nitto NT01's don't all have a (Y) speed rating. Some of them have have a W speed rating (without the parentheses).

For example, if I were to stick with only 19" tires (and wheels), then these are the available tire options for a staggered fitment:

305/30ZR19 (102Y) XL
325/30ZR19 101W

Now, maybe it is just the newb inside me talking, but I think I want (Y), with the parentheses, so that I can (eventually, after working my way up) go 150mph+ on a track with maximum safety and less likelihood of a tire popping.

Also, being a newb, I *think* I want wider wheels on the back and less on the front: better steering, more acceleration? But maybe it won't matter for my zero track experience.

What if I go 315 squared or 325 on all fours? I do like beefy back tires.

Aesthetically I do like beefy back tires: that is part of what gives a sport car a beast muscle appearance. So 325 seems like it might be of more enjoyment there just because of that.

Those giant Dodge Challenger boats with stock skinny wheels just don't look right. ⛴ 😊

^ That. Sounds nice to have, even if I haven't actually reached those limits yet.

But for street use/normal human use - I agree. Square is ideal
Why is that? More economical because of the ability to rotate tires? Anything else?

Imagine cost is not an issue, and some rich person is gifting any setup so desired with unlimited rubber refills.

So a 305/19 + 315/20 slight stagger as the OP mentioned will handle better than say 315/20 squared? Is it more about the stagger or more about the wider tire?
That's a good question! I would like to know.

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I forgot to also mention: I ended up starting an order for one of these sweet pups:

https://tinyurl.com/d8pvh6w5

Fully forged wheels with prices among the lowest, with good looks, and with fitment for the giant GT350 brake calipers!

In particular, I'm getting the VS03 wheels:

https://www.carid.com/stance-wheels/vs03-custom-finish-814990061.html

(The only other brand I found with this low pricing was RSR Forged, but only one model was available at this sizing, and I didn't verify caliper clearance. The brand is looking nice too though!)

The wheel sizing I ended with after speaking with VS Forged is

20x11 +24
20x11 +50

which should yield a slightly wider/beefier stance than the stock GT350 wheels (more like an R).

Due to Nitto's lack of (Y) speed ratings and sizes, I decided to go for the R888R's, but as it turns out, they're all on back order, and I want tires now (I have bald strips). So, I've chosen the available Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in sizes 305/30zr20 and 315/30zr20.

I wanted to try 325 tires on back, but the only available aspect for those on PS4S is 20, which I thought wouldn't work out if the front aspect is 30, right?

Now a couple questions are

1. Should I pick some particular tire designation like ND0 (Porsche) or K1 (Ferrari) for the PS4S's? Or just go vanilla MP4S?
  2. Should I do 305 front, 315 back? Or 315 all around?

So much for the original Nitto idea in the OP! The lack of sizes and speed ratings made it harder to find a fitment.

Last edited:

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
@honeybadger

Quoting someone from the Porsche Forums, "NT01 is horrible on the street, like sitting in a drum, and useless in rain."
I put NT05's not the NT01's

J. Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / Track Pack
I want to be as safe as I can be when going 150+ mph, so I think (Y) would be better for all tires, right? (If I've learned one thing during my foray into fast-car world with a Shelby GT350, it is not that hard to get to 150+ mph in a GT350). Plus the OE PSS tires are all (Y) so W seems like a downgrade. Is it not really a big deal? When does W vs (Y) make a difference?
I guess it really depends on how much time you think you'll spend at 168+ mph. These cars are capable of approximately a 175 mph top speed so the tires that come with it should cover that range. I'm not sure of the price difference or selection when shopping W vs. Y tires. I'd probably stick with Y tires myself. That being said, if I had W tires on the car, I doubt I'd ever be in danger...but you never know ;)

W — Up to 168 mph

Y — Up to 186 mph
Sponsored