New gen 3 engine low oil pressure

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
So I just got my new oem gen 3 coyote engine installed. Car fired up great and seemed to run good while I started breaking it in yesterday. I wasn't going wot but started to take it through the rpms and got a low oil light. Pulled off the road and checked everything out and all looked good. No leaks and oil level was perfect. Started it back up and warm idle pressure was right at 15psi. Cruising around 2k rpm oil pressure is right around 20-25psi and if I get the rpms up to around 3-4k it jumps to 40-45psi. All that seems on par with my last engine but if I give it some gas and get the roms climbing my oil pressure never passes 45psi.

I started the car up cold this morning and pressure jumped to 60psi before it came back down but once it warmed up it wouldn't go over 45 again. The engine came with all new sensors so I'm planning to swap out my oil pressure switch and sensor to see if corrects it but figured I'd reach out to see if anyone else has experience this or has any other ideas?

The sensor seems to be reading correct and pressure is switching as rpms change in the lower range so it seems as if both are functioning and I'm just really not getting enough pressure at high rpms but I'm not sure what else it could be?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder if the pressure bypass solenoid is sticky and didn't close the bypass fast enough as your RPM went up. I'm assuming it only did it once?

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if the pressure bypass solenoid is sticky and didn't close the bypass fast enough as your RPM went up. I'm assuming it only did it once?
I was thinking the bypass solenoid too at first but I took it out yesterday and kept it under 4k rpms the whole time. Pressure was normal at idle and low rpms but it triggered the low pressure warning again anyway after about 20 mins of driving. As soon as it lit up my oil pressure jumped up between 40-60 psi even idling. It makes me think it opened the bypass up to protect the engine? Just a guess though. I have a known good solenoid at home and a new switch arriving today so hopefully switching them out will solve the problem.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Swapped out sensor and solenoid and nothing changed. Psi is exactly the same at all rpm ranges. Took a lot longer for the warning light to come on today though. I'm at a loss. Going to check the whole electrical circuit but nothing looks damaged or pinched from the new engine install so I'm not confident I'll find the issue there.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Where did you get this new bottom end from? I don't know what the spec is supposed to be but clearly it's not being met. That really just leaves mechanical reasons or a restriction somewhere, perhaps in the oil filter or cooler circuit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get this new bottom end from? I don't know what the spec is supposed to be but clearly it's not being met. That really just leaves mechanical reasons or a restriction somewhere, perhaps in the oil filter or cooler circuit.
It's an oem long block from ford.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
And that's the weird thing. I can't find an oil pressure spec other than idle and 2k rpm. Which both are on par with what's in the owners manual and what my old engine showed. The only thing that doesn't line up with the old engine is at wot the old engine went 90-100psi. But when I trouble shoot on alldata it just says verify oil pressure is correct before troubleshooting the sensor circuit. I verified it has pressure, 40- 60 psi running with the gauge plugged in, instead of the sensor but I do r know how to verify if that's correct.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
And that's the weird thing. I can't find an oil pressure spec other than idle and 2k rpm. Which both are on par with what's in the owners manual and what my old engine showed. The only thing that doesn't line up with the old engine is at wot the old engine went 90-100psi. But when I trouble shoot on alldata it just says verify oil pressure is correct before troubleshooting the sensor circuit. I verified it has pressure, 40- 60 psi running with the gauge plugged in, instead of the sensor but I do r know how to verify if that's correct.
I was under the impression the spec is just for idle and 2500rpm, but maybe the ECU thinks different lol.

Either way this really blows.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression the spec is just for idle and 2500rpm, but maybe the ECU thinks different lol.

Either way this really blows.
Those are the only specs I could find and both are correct verified by a mechanical gauge and my pp1 gauge...

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
12-15 psi is fine for 5w20 oil... it takes 10 qts you know? check the level. What oil?

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
12-15 psi is fine for 5w20 oil... it takes 10 qts you know? check the level. What oil?
It has 10.5 quarts of motorcraft 5w30 (the extra is for my turbos). Idle pressure is 15-18. 2k is 20-25. And 3-4k is 40-45psi. After that oil pressure doesn't rise like gen 3s normally do. I think that's where my issue is but there is nothing in alldata to address that so I'm at a loss.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the newer engines make less from design changes?
I would assume all gen 3s need the same oil pressure but if not, I can't find anything to confirm any changes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It has 10.5 quarts of motorcraft 5w30 (the extra is for my turbos). Idle pressure is 15-18. 2k is 20-25. And 3-4k is 40-45psi. After that oil pressure doesn't rise like gen 3s normally do. I think that's where my issue is but there is nothing in alldata to address that so I'm at a loss.
For grins and giggles unplug the bypass solenoid and see if anything changes on your readings.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
For grins and giggles unplug the bypass solenoid and see if anything changes on your readings.
Well once the low oil pressure warning goes on my pressures instantly increase to 40-60 when just cruising so I think thats a protection thing. And when I disconnect the sensor to plug a mechanical gauge in the pressure jumps to 60 too. I tested my new solenoid and old one and both were 9ohms so I wasn't confident that would change anything. I'll have to try running the car with the solenoid electrical disconnected. It's a bitch to get to with the turbos! I had to pull the filter off my driverside turbo to change the solenoid this morning. Lol

It's just odd that everything is spot on with my old engine except wot pressure. I would think that's a solenoid issue but I tried the old solenoid with no change and the protection modes ramps up pressure so it definitely changes to some extent.
Sponsored