Sponsored

Gen 3 Coyote Engine

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just wanted to let you know that Ford is preparing to introduce the Coyote Gen 3 as a crate engine in the near future. There is no specific release date yet. This is good news for those that want the power potential of the 2018 engine but doesn't want to purchase the entire vehicle. I was told it will be the stock version of the engine (same HP and TQ as 2018 models). I have no pictures but Ford has it on display at the Ford Performance Trailer Tour which is headed to a state near you.

Please share your thoughts on the power capabilities or engine swap ideas.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Do you have any info on what else is needed to drop this in a 15-17? I assume it needs custom tuning also or will a calibration be available from Ford to maintain the engine's warranty?

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have no details yet of what will be needed. I am guessing Ford will introduce some kind of controls pack along with this engine when it goes on sale. I am hoping for Gen 2 owners it will be a minor add on like a PCM or ECU swap but I don't know. I was told Ford is in the process of troubleshooting the compatibility issues with non 2018 applications.

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just an FYI... the Gen 3 crate engine will be available in the next month or so (Aug at latest). The short and long blocks will follow and finally the 5.2L variant. I wish I had exact dates to share but no confirmed dates yet. If I find out more I will update as usual.

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Update...

The Ford Performance all-aluminum 2018 5.0L Coyote crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Direct and Port Fuel Injection, Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT), high-flow cylinder heads, and heightened compression ratio to deliver 460 horsepower @ 7000 rpm and 420 ft.-lb.+ of torque @ 4600 rpm (with premium fuel). The lightweight plasma transferred wire arc spray aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength, optimized oil drainback and windage control to improve high-rpm performance.

• 460 horsepower 420 ft.-lb.+ of torque
  • 12.0:1 Compression ratio
  • Hypereutectic aluminum pistons
  • Sintered steel connecting rods as used on BOSS302 Mustang
  • Forged steel crankshaft
  • Aluminum block which features plasma transferred wire arc spray weld liner coating
  • Longer, 12 mm head bolts for higher clamp load
  • 10 qt capacity oil pan
  • Tuned composite intake manifold provides efficient air delivery and weight savings
  • 80 mm single bore "drive by wire", electronic throttle body with variable runner control
  • High-flow aluminum cylinder heads, dual overhead camshaft (DOHC), four valves per cylinder, variable intake and exhaust camshaft timing
  • Mustang GT 409 stainless-steel tubular exhaust manifold on the RIGHT SIDE ONLY
  • Includes manual transmission engine harness and dual mass flywheel, for engine equipped with automatic transmission engine harness and flex plate, see M-6007-M50CAUTO (coming soon)
  • Engine mount bosses and bell housing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines
  • Vehicle harness and PCM not included
  • Use Ford Performance M-6017-M50B Control Pack which includes wiring, PCM and installation kit, designed for project car installation
  • Does not include alternator, for alternator kit see M-8600-M50BALT
  • 5.0L Coyote Air Conditioning kit available, see M-8600-M50AC
  • 5.0L Mustang motor mount kit available, see M-6038-M50
  • 5.0L Mustang engine cover kit available, see M-9680-M50B
  • Photo and specs may vary
  • Engine weight: 445 lbs.
https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.co...460hp-mustang-crate-engine-gen-3-m-6007-m50c/

Sponsored

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am very interested using this motor in the future but since all of the engine noises has surfaced or the 2018 I would most definitely upgrade the piston and rods to forged versions. That would include OPG and CSG too. Or just wait for the bare block and build myself.

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 50 Year Edition
Do you have any info on what else is needed to drop this in a 15-17? I assume it needs custom tuning also or will a calibration be available from Ford to maintain the engine's warranty?
I just did all this from ecoboost, check my forum for more info or my Instagram: @theredmus and check my YouTube videos about it
Sponsored