Sponsored

New Conti Tire Out!

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my Conti SC's, I would have gotten them again if they had a 305/35/19. To be honest I liked the feel of them better than my Mich PS4S. Ultimate grip I wouldn't no, both tires can grip tremendously. Now this new tire comes out and once again no 305/35/19's.
Yes I, too, wish there was another option in the 305/35/19 size. PSSs are great but I wouldn't mind saving a little $$$ on a comparable tire.
Sponsored

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not expecting a lot of feedback since one, I don’t think there’s a ton of Conti fans on here and two, brand new tire just released on the first.

Extreme contact sport 02 Advertised as better than the sport in every way, but why/how is new and improved technology actually cheaper. Am I wrong that this catches my curiosity?

https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-sport-02
Yes, I'm trying to figure this out as well. Looks like about $50 cheaper for the 275/40x19. Seems odd but it may some kind of introductory pricing????

I know I liked my Michelin PS4S's but when they were unavailable, I went with the Conti's. Air pressure is a bit more critical for the Conti's Vs. the PS4S but if these new 02's have a stiffer sidewall that may have some benefits towards flex reduction.

I have no qualms with the ECSports but I do think they were a tic behind the Michelins. Maybe the new 02's will close that gap. Tirerack will have a side by side comparo when things warm up a bit in the spring they said.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not a lot of pics out there since it’s soo new, but I found this one. The “rim protector” in this pic doesn’t really look any different than the current EC Sport.

27B2361B-4F8F-46AC-97BC-F7EA4251E2D7.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not a lot of pics out there since it’s soo new, but I found this one. The “rim protector” in this pic doesn’t really look any different than the current EC Sport.

27B2361B-4F8F-46AC-97BC-F7EA4251E2D7.jpeg
Yeah looks really similar to mine. That’s a good pic

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I feel that any 300+ TW tire on a performance car is a sin. But that’s just me.

granted if you live in the Midwest or Northeast and use as a daily then that’s on you.

I’ll never put a 200 + TW on mine lol

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

granted if you live in the Midwest or Northeast and use as a daily then that’s on you.

many races have been won on ECS or PS4S. All it takes is rain.

I would also add that most 200tw have terrible manners when cold or wet.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Why?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
[/QUOTE]
many races have been won on ECS or PS4S. All it takes is rain.

I would also add that most 200tw have terrible manners when cold or wet.
I think our definition of "racing" is very different. I don't know anyone that competes on anything less than a R compound or a drag radial if going in a straight line.

I'm hoping that the "racing" your referring to isn't on the street.

To your statement about wet: https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/2/

I (personally) like to get the most of out the car. Tires and Brakes are the most performance oriented pieces that you can add to your vehicle with the exception of what's between your ears.

I completely understand that a large percentage of the performance market needs something that is more utilitarian and compromises need to be made. I'm fortunate to live in a climate that I can enjoy the use of a Streetable track/Comp tire all year round.

In closing: If whatever tire works for you, that's great. However I challenge drivers to compare the difference in how your car drives from a 300-340 down to lower TW options. Maybe hop in a friends car that has a different compound and compare it to yours back to back objectively. Or look at the smile on your face for a non-objective evaluation.

Understandably, there is a cost difference and as the saying goes, you always get what you pay for. I'm not here to judge anybody's budget or how they spend their own hard earned $. If that's how you interpret this message then that's on you.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’m referring to competitive motorsports under sanctioning bodies that include turns and timing equipment. Things like autocross, time attack and road racing in classes that require 200TW tires.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I’m referring to competitive motorsports under sanctioning bodies that include turns and timing equipment. Things like autocross, time attack and road racing in classes that require 200TW tires.
Understood, I appreciate participation in sanctioned events and taking it off the street.

I don't Auto-X much anymore but the 200TW classes are thriving which is great.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Years ago on the C5 I went with a set of continentals and they were super quiet. Great to have options.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Wow. Come on now, you know most people aren't driving their cars hard enough to warrant a less than 200+ TW. You even remarked you hoped the one comment was not talking about street racing. Let's be real, the speed limit any many places is around 75 mph and some may push it to around 90 mph or so, but even that does not mean a less than 200+ tire is needed.

Granted, I run drag radials on the days the weather is warm, so I do know and understand where you are coming from.....but for the average person, on an average road, on an average day, it doesn't take a less than 200+ TW tire to move along with the rest of the traffic. The average driver most likely doesn't care enough how a car may feel with less than 200+ TW tires.

There are a lot of manufactors committing that sin you speak of, :) to include Porsche and a lot of other performance cars. There is also a reason that many who don't track remove the Cup 2 tires. You are running less than 200+TW tires on the street year round? How many miles are you getting out of them? I get around 6k out of my drag radials, which is a number most people are not willing to deal with for a street driven car. Heck the Michelin Sport Cup 2s are 240 TW.

May I ask which tire you recommend for these Mustangs?

rydaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I'm trying to decide on a 275/40-18 summer tire. These have me intrigued.

3szoom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I just got these installed last week to replace the garbage OEM pirellis. I haven't driven the PS4s on a Mustang (had them on a 2018 WRX) but can't image they're much better. Absolutely incredible tire in dry and wet and hook so much better than the stock tires.
Sponsored