Sponsored

Need help with adding octane to my fuel.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Maybe some of the pros that do this often can chime in on changing out fuels. There is a kit I believe that hooks up to the fuel line - Driver’s side connection before the fuel rails that allows for emptying the tank. I’ve never had the pleasure of doing it, but it can be done. If you have the shop space / garage to be able to make it work that’s good. Yea, likely need a couple barrels at least to swap it out. No one said it would be easy... or fun...
look up Gen7 fuel in Roseneath. They advertise pump e85. I know nothing about it but it looks to be 1.5 hours from Pearson Airport so depending where you are it may be closer. Take your own barrels and fill up. Give them a call and see what their price is...
Alright thanks for the info. Im fine with draining the tank with a kit. I was just worried about actually having to run the engine to get rid of the fuel, sounds stupid now that I think of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
I believe it just diverts the fuel so you can drain it into a container. I know Lund can provide a tune that just runs the fuel pump steady with the key on for this exact purpose.
Alright, I will speak to them about this. Thanks one more question I forgot to ask. How long can e85 and pump gas be stored in a barrel like this? What do the temps have to be?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Was it a hassle to drain the tank of pump gas whenever you wanted pure e85 in the tank? Like I said, I plan for this to be my daily. I am going to import barrels of e85
Depends on what your idea of a hassle is? If you have pump e85 available? It’s no hassle at all. As you’ll probably want to run it all the time just for the added safety factor it provides. If you’re planning on switching back and forth often between 93 & E. Lund can provide you with a drain-tune which will allow you to drain the tank without starting the car. (At the fuel rail) What I did was run e85 and if I was going to make a long trip where e85 might not be available. I’d just switch to the 93 tune when the tank got low. And tried to control myself with the throttle peddle. If someone pulled up and wanted to race.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Alright, I will speak to them about this. Thanks one more question I forgot to ask. How long can e85 and pump gas be stored in a barrel like this? What do the temps have to be?
I purchased a 55 gallon drum with a check valve in the bung cap. That way if it got extremely hot. It would relieve the vapor pressure. E85 is just like gasoline as far as storage. 6 months is about all I’d trust without using some kind of fuel stabilizer.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Lund might be able to provide a tune that just runs the pump - AED did that for me. Load the tune, turn the car on and it just cycles the pump. I connected a fuel filter in the fuel line adapter and ran fuel line from the filter to a gas tank. That will get all the fuel out of the system before putting in your E85. I was running E85 last summer NA. I'm in Ontario as well and bought my drums from that N54 store. Another option for you, would be looking at upgrading your high pressure GDI pump and just run 93 all the time. It would likely allow you to get to your 800 goal.

Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Depends on what your idea of a hassle is? If you have pump e85 available? It’s no hassle at all. As you’ll probably want to run it all the time just for the added safety factor it provides. If you’re planning on switching back and forth often between 93 & E. Lund can provide you with a drain-tune which will allow you to drain the tank without starting the car. (At the fuel rail) What I did was run e85 and if I was going to make a long trip where e85 might not be available. I’d just switch to the 93 tune when the tank got low. And tried to control myself with the throttle peddle. If someone pulled up and wanted to race.
No pump E85 is sold in Ontario (that I know of).

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Lund might be able to provide a tune that just runs the pump - AED did that for me. Load the tune, turn the car on and it just cycles the pump. I connected a fuel filter in the fuel line adapter and ran fuel line from the filter to a gas tank. That will get all the fuel out of the system before putting in your E85. I was running E85 last summer NA. I'm in Ontario as well and bought my drums from that N54 store. Another option for you, would be looking at upgrading your high pressure GDI pump and just run 93 all the time. It would likely allow you to get to your 800 goal.
I see. So how long do you keep the e85 stored for? What kit do you have that allows you to drain your tank? How many km's approximately do you get out of the 30 gallon tank of e85? my main focus isnt fuel mileage but just want to know so I can see how much I am spending. I know it correlates with how hard you drive so I expect it to not be very far as the point of e85 is to allow you to drive it hard at a given power level.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I see. So how long do you keep the e85 stored for? What kit do you have that allows you to drain your tank? How many km's approximately do you get out of the 30 gallon tank of e85? my main focus isnt fuel mileage but just want to know so I can see how much I am spending. I know it correlates with how hard you drive so I expect it to not be very far as the point of e85 is to allow you to drive it hard at a given power level.
Not sure of exact km/tank, but its not very good. On 93 id average 10-11L/100km on E85 it was 20-21L/100kms. I live near London and if I drove to the drag strip near St. Thomas, had 4-5 runs and drove the 30 minutes back home at 90kph ish, I'd use close to half a tank. I burned through a couple drums in 4 weeks and I don't daily mine. I've since put a blower on my car and just plan to leave it on 93. If the border opens up again, I live about an hour from Port Huron in Michigan. There is a station that sells E85 right after the bridge. My plan when i was NA was to fill a couple of drums there every few weeks and bring it home. Its only 2-3/gallon, makes it a lot cheaper than the local source.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Did you call Gen7 fuel in Roseneath to see if they offer it? Their website says they do. Other than that the last e85 was just outside Guelph towards Cambridge but it closed 5+ years ago.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Did you call Gen7 fuel in Roseneath to see if they offer it? Their website says they do. Other than that the last e85 was just outside Guelph towards Cambridge but it closed 5+ years ago.
Havent got a chance to call them yet but I will. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Not sure of exact km/tank, but its not very good. On 93 id average 10-11L/100km on E85 it was 20-21L/100kms. I live near London and if I drove to the drag strip near St. Thomas, had 4-5 runs and drove the 30 minutes back home at 90kph ish, I'd use close to half a tank. I burned through a couple drums in 4 weeks and I don't daily mine. I've since put a blower on my car and just plan to leave it on 93. If the border opens up again, I live about an hour from Port Huron in Michigan. There is a station that sells E85 right after the bridge. My plan when i was NA was to fill a couple of drums there every few weeks and bring it home. Its only 2-3/gallon, makes it a lot cheaper than the local source.
I see. Yea I will only use it on occasion so I can live with that lol.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... Another option for you, would be looking at upgrading your high pressure GDI pump and just run 93 all the time. It would likely allow you to get to your 800 goal.
I thought about bringing this up earlier but it’s generally shunned by the e85 enthusiasts. The downside is that it’s not as effective as e85; my guess is about half as much, plus it isn’t cheap. The upside is that, obviously, you just put 93 in it and go. It does require some custom tuning as well, to get the most out of it.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Lund does an e54r tune NA at least one of the other local Phx guys run that but not for boost that I'm aware of. Liability I'm sure. There's very few high quality e options in the area and only one in proximity to my area that tests e85-90 regularly. Regardless, there are definitely regional based obstacles for fueling like what OP is encountering. It's going to end up being some blending / additives / ordering in addition to local pump.
Lund told me they would do a dedicated e54 tune for boost but only with a return style system just like e85. I was hoping with the lower e content they'd let me get away with a dw400 and bap but that was a no go. This was a while ago though so not sure if they still would...

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Also, thread on here with hpfp upgrade to help with det on 93 octane.
Sponsored