Sponsored

Where is my oil going!!

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Well sure, common sense has to be applied, right?!?! If you didn’t change the oil, then you have no reference and have to trust the markings on the dipstick. But look up the specs…what is the correct quantity?? It’s 10 quarts. It is not “full to the top hole”. It also doesn’t say full to the top hole or anywhere in between is full, it says it’s “acceptable”.

And yes, you do have to trust they added 10 quarts, cause guess what? More stories than I care to read of guys getting home and no oil on the stick. Why? Shop probably thought it was a Mustang and took 8. Who knows. I don’t. Judge, everyone had a different situation, but I hate it for guys that don’t or choose not to do their own maintenance. Especially oil changes.

Now granted, keep in mind if the oil is in the right range, we’re spitting hairs over one measly quart of oil. But it seems like the OP doesn’t have a strong basis as to his oil status or a good reference point for his engine, or a solid understanding of what it needs, so I’m just trying to help him build a good, specific foundation.
I've followed this same thought process on my past 3 GT500's and my current 19 GT350. Dip sticks on our cars are historically not terribly accurate. I drained my oil at 1000 miles, followed the number of quarts required per the manual, and followed the "checking oil level" procedures in the manual. I scribed a mark on my dipstick where this level is, and for all future oil changes, this is the "full" mark. It's not rocket science.
Sponsored

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've followed this same thought process on my past 3 GT500's and my current 19 GT350. Dip sticks on our cars are historically not terribly accurate. I drained my oil at 1000 miles, followed the number of quarts required per the manual, and followed the "checking oil level" procedures in the manual. I scribed a mark on my dipstick where this level is, and for all future oil changes, this is the "full" mark. It's not rocket science.
Agree. My "full" for my 2016 GT350 is in the middle

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Well sure, common sense has to be applied, right?!?! If you didn’t change the oil, then you have no reference and have to trust the markings on the dipstick. But look up the specs…what is the correct quantity?? It’s 10 quarts. It is not “full to the top hole”. It also doesn’t say full to the top hole or anywhere in between is full, it says it’s “acceptable”.

And yes, you do have to trust they added 10 quarts, cause guess what? More stories than I care to read of guys getting home and no oil on the stick. Why? Shop probably thought it was a Mustang and took 8. Who knows. I don’t. Judge, everyone had a different situation, but I hate it for guys that don’t or choose not to do their own maintenance. Especially oil changes.

Now granted, keep in mind if the oil is in the right range, we’re splitting hairs over one measly quart of oil. But it seems like the OP doesn’t have a strong basis as to his oil status or a good reference point for his engine, or a solid understanding of what it needs, so I’m just trying to help him build a good, specific foundation.
Also good for those of us who don't have flat driveways. 10 is 10 is 10

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Also, after some more research it appears that some environmental guideline changed the design of dip stick tubes and getting consistent readings can be difficult because of same. So, if you go from "full" to dry in a day, keep checking. Also, when you check the oil, leave the stick in the tube for a few seconds instead of immediately pulling it back out. This issue caused me to add a quart when I really was not a quart low. Wish this car had a good electronic oil level sensor.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Also, after some more research it appears that some environmental guideline changed the design of dip stick tubes and getting consistent readings can be difficult because of same. So, if you go from "full" to dry in a day, keep checking. Also, when you check the oil, leave the stick in the tube for a few seconds instead of immediately pulling it back out. This issue caused me to add a quart when I really was not a quart low. Wish this car had a good electronic oil level sensor.
Pretty sure this happened to me last time. My dipstick is a complete bitch, the rubber tubing always gets stuck to the actual dipstick so when I pull the dipstick I have to push the rubber piece with my opposite hand so that I can just get the dipstick, the rubber piece always gets dislodged a little and throws off my results, its very annoying. I get wildly different readings with the dipstick by itself and dipstick w/rubber tubing. I've been able to figure it out and get consistent readings now, but its just a huge pain in the ass. Whether its correct or not only time will tell lol.

When I checked earlier it looked good but when I was able to get consistent readings it was a bit low (line was below the 2 holes) I added some oil (probably ) to make sure that it was right above, and 1,000 miles later I noticed it was a bit low again but the readings were inconsistent. I added a little bit over a 1/2 quart. I might have added too much but I didn't dump a full quart I only used about 3/4s of it.

I just did an oil change a few weeks ago and took note of the line so hopefully now I have a reference point. Its not the same level as it was when I got the car though. Life would be so much easier if there was an oil level sensor lol.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, none of them read very well. Doing your own oil change gives peace of mind.
An electronic sensor would be a good addition.They have them everywhere else on the car.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
So, to summarize: Check oil in morning after car sat all night, pull dip stick out on firewall side of strut tower brace, pull stick out and and clean before reinserting for a few seconds before pulling stick back out to check.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Wonder what happened to the OP ?
VooDoo Low tension piston rings are a bitch to get to seal up on super slippery full syn oil.
Ford did a huge disservice to its GT350 customers by not breaking in the VooDoo at the dealer level with strict guidelines.

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So, to summarize: Check oil in morning after car sat all night, pull dip stick out on firewall side of strut tower brace, pull stick out and and clean before reinserting for a few seconds before pulling stick back out to check.
No. Check the oil shortly after a hot shut down. Theory is, 10 quarts is enough quantity that expansion will cause a difference in reading on the stick. And it does. Cold should/will read lower.

Having said that...and I've said this before...When you debate, and sweat, and lose sleep over the difference of a mm or two on the dipstick...remember...you are sweating over ounces! Single digit ounces! In a 2 and a 1/2 gallon oil system!

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Having said that...and I've said this before...When you debate, and sweat, and lose sleep over the difference of a mm or two on the dipstick...remember...you are sweating over ounces! Single digit ounces! In a 2 and a 1/2 gallon oil system!
No room for logic here, this is the interweb!

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
No. Check the oil shortly after a hot shut down. Theory is, 10 quarts is enough quantity that expansion will cause a difference in reading on the stick. And it does. Cold should/will read lower.

The coefficient thermal expansion of engine oil is about 0.0007/K. Assuming a starting temperature of 20°C and an operating temp of 90°C it would roughly be a 5% increase in volume, equivalent of half a quart.

Not enough for me to worry about.

Last edited:

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
If we can find the OP we might find his oil too? Maybe they ended up in the same place 😮

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
He probably dumped it at Carmax or Vroom
Sponsored