Is my Voodoo a Diesel?

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I've seen videos and read multiple GT350 forum posts from folks with diesel engine-like sounds eminating from their Voodoo. I've read posts saying that dealerships should or will replace the long block. Well...I was living the same nightmare. My Voodoo started sounding like a diesel engine. The "noise" occured during warm starts and lasted for no more than 5 seconds. I eventually took the car to the dealership and they gladly replaced as many parts as FoMoCo would allow. The long block was spared. The diesel sound remained.
One day the oil pressure went below the ECU threshold and tripped a warning. The failure was preceeded by another diesel-like sound that lasted for 5 seconds, then went away. Fortunately, the oil pressure failure happened on my driveway while at idle.
The car was hauled to the dealership. My greatest concern was a destroyed oil pump gear set and tiny metal bits coating all machined surfaces and the need for a new long block.
The engine was removed and lightly "disassembled" to reveal an intact oil pump gearset and no visable engine damage. So after six weeks in the shop, much back-and-forth communication between the dealer and FoMoCo, the original long block was reinstalled with four new chain tensioners, new chain guides, new crank chain gear and new oil pump. And...the Voodoo once again sounds like a gasoline engine!
Here's what I think the problem was all along. The Voodoo's oil pump has four moving parts; the (1) inner and (2) outer pump gears (3) a pressure regulating valve (some call it a relief valve) and (4) a valve spring. I believe the oil regulating valve/spring malfunctioned and caused the oil pressure to fluctuate at such a frequency as to cause the chain tensioners to fluctuate (thus allow the crank chains to slack and rattle) yet not show the oil pressure varying on either gauge. Oil pressure dumped when the valve function failed.
BL, if your Voodoo has ever had this diesel-like sound, challenge your dealer to change the oil pump, chain tensioners, crank gear and chain guides. FYI, FoMoCo denied my request to install the Ford Performance oil pump or an oil pump gear set citing those parts have no warranty. Wanting my remaining warranty, I agreed to OEM parts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well thought out and clear explanation. Thanks.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I had a B6 S4 that was also known to get that diesel sound on cold starts when then oil had drained out of the cam timing adjustment system and the timing got off a bit. It’s like whoaaaa! The slapping timing chain would then grenade the plastic guides which they would destroy the whole motor. But that’s another story.

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
Sounds very familiar man, getting an engine replacement is beyond impossible

OP
OP
Dr. JL

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sounds very familiar man, getting an engine replacement is beyond impossible
I actually didn’t want my engine replaced. It ran strong with negligible oil burn. I wanted to keep the matching VIN block for future value retention. So all’s we’ll with me with the replaced parts.
I had the same exact sound. It’s just a matter of time before your oil pressure dumps. Direct another dealership to this post. Ford has seen this before and the more folks that know the fix the better for everyone.

Sponsored

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
I actually didn’t want my engine replaced. It ran strong with negligible oil burn. I wanted to keep the matching VIN block for future value retention. So all’s we’ll with me with the replaced parts.
Gotcha man I daily mine, just want a good reliable car

OP
OP
Dr. JL

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Just sent you a PM.