My cat died from a heart attack tonight

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
He’s indoor outdoor, we was gone for a few hours and came home and found him on the rug on way to my room, warm. He had a heart attack from the fireworks. He had a little bit of urine on his leg, like he was running and scared is what I can gather

my heart is broken. He was 5 and healthy as can be, my room mate just saw him few hours earlier before he fell asleep.

walked in and saw him laying there, not a mark on his body. Absolutely broke my heart. I’m destroyed right now. He’s been afraid with all the Juneteenth fireworks and the recent fireworks but he usually cuddles on me and gf to calm down but we wasn’t here.
Hey man... I am really sorry. Pets really do get a hold of our heart don't they?

People are all over the map on this but I feel they are a gift, have great personality (if you get to know them) and it's a great friendship when we can bond with them.

I get it.. totally...
Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
@FreePenguin,

I know that you had a rough time with everything that happened to you between your cat and other things, things will get better soon. When one bad thing happens it just continues. I hope you're feeling a little better. Keep your head up. ❤

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
After reading, and rethinking everything. I think.. he died of choking, maybe he tried to do a hairball and he choked possibly from fireworks going off. I swore I felt a pulse on his chest, but barely/not really. I didn't know what to do, we thought he was fully passed away, he had a little urine on his leg at that time. but by time all said and done I put him in the garage, he lost his full urine.

If he was simply unconscious, from not breathing, I am going to be extremely sad. I was reading you can do breathing/cpr for cats, and I didn't do that/know how to do it. hindsight.

im not trying to beat myself up, but where he throws up, is exactly where he was laying when I came in.

all kinds of sad.. if he was alive and I thought he was dead. (he wasn't breathing) that much is true. his pulse was barely there if it was. he was definitely unconscious/not breathing. but not sure if he had the pulse. but more I read, they say chances of a non trained person bringing a animal back in this state is like 3%

and unless he choked as soon as we arrived I was already too late, 5 minutes or so brain damage.

I appreciate everyones info, and its just tragic. I would of given anything to prevent his death. to everyone who's lost pets or multiples I feel for you, this was my first pet and I loved him so dearly that hes my child. (I dont have children) and im unable too, so this was my kid to me. atleast thats how he looked at me child or best friend. or both.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Sounds like there may have been an undiagnosed health issue. Unfortunately, I had something similar happen around this time last year with my GSD.

He was very prone to vomiting and one day his stomach ruptured. We had no idea anything was wrong until it was too late. Sucks to lose a pet especially when they are still young.

Sorry for your loss, hang in there.

Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Very sorry to hear about this. We just lost our dog on Thursday from heart failure. Completely unexpected and from the time I noticed something wrong to the time he passed was all of 45 minutes. Kids and my wife and I are crushed. Kids were born 9 months after we got the dog so it's all they knew growing up.

I know exactly what you are going through and wish you healing in this very difficult time.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Sorry to hear about your furry buddy, man.

As I posted in the pets thread, I recently lost my big orange tom Lucy to cancer a few months after he turned 17. Since he and I were tight it's been especially tough, but I just have to remember that I gave him the best possible life I could and cherish all the memories. I scattered his ashes in the woods on my property last weekend so he'll always be there.

When that last day comes for any pet owner, hanging on to those memories is the best you can do.

Last edited:

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
So sorry for your loss. Hang in there Donald, with time the positive memories will overtake the traumatic experience. Pets are only in our lives for a short time, but they have an impact that lasts forever. We lost our dog to liver failure in January, she was 3 months shy of 13 years. There are still days where I’ll get upset and it seems to come from somewhere out in left Field. It has eased a bit recently, as I hope your grief eases as well.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Sorry you're dealing with losing a part of your family. I too am a pet lover and have lost pets over the years. My initial reaction is always the same, I don't want another animal. Then some time passes and I think to myself, my cat had a great life and I rescued them from a tough situation. I bet their last wish would be to help another animal like I did with them.

I always adopt from shelters, there are so many unwanted animals that I just can't justify paying a breeder. However I'm not judging those who do, to each their own.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
No other way to describe losing a furry friend other than to say it truly sucks! I feel for ya.:crying:
Sponsored