Mustangs damaged from derailed train

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
My dealer got 2 Mustangs in today, both had front and rear damage, transporter drivers say it's because of the derailed train earlier in the month.
20230616_103047.jpg
20230616_103053.jpg
20230616_103105.jpg
20230616_103246.jpg
20230616_103254.jpg
20230616_103300.jpg

The damage happened to Mischievous Purple Mach 1 and EcoBoost
Sponsored

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
Ford does not sell vehicles that are damaged from train derailments.
I call BS on the driver ….
Yep that's BS. I'm ashamed to admit I lurk at trainorders.com and the people there, who generally know what they're talking about, unanimously say that vehicles from derailments are scrapped 100% of the time regardless of damage due to potential liability if sold.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yep that's BS. I'm ashamed to admit I lurk at trainorders.com and the people there, who generally know what they're talking about, say that vehicles from derailments are scrapped 100% of the time regardless of damage due to potential liability if sold.
Yep, insurance always eats those whole. If I remember right they used to just bury the cars wherever they derailed, lmao.

Sponsored
OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Ford does not sell vehicles that are damaged from train derailments.
I call BS on the driver ….
i dont blame you, i'm a bit suspicious of them too
we've been getting more damaged vehicles than usual in, though, including Mustangs, Transits, and F series trucks, so i'm kinda inclined to believe them. on the other hand, getting through El Mirage in a week sounds abnormally fast for that railyard, they normally take forever and a half to get anything through. it's possible that while these may have been in the unaffected rail cars, from what i've been told, vehicles in these trains are basically put in park and that's it, so they bumped other vehicles and were not damaged enough to worry about (some scratches on the bumpers, one had a small dent on the driver's door and driver's rear quarter panel), but again this is just a guess and i know all of nothing about the details of shipping vehicles by rail.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
i dont blame you, i'm a bit suspicious of them too
we've been getting more damaged vehicles than usual in, though, including Mustangs, Transits, and F series trucks, so i'm kinda inclined to believe them. on the other hand, getting through El Mirage in a week sounds abnormally fast for that railyard, they normally take forever and a half to get anything through. it's possible that while these may have been in the unaffected rail cars, from what i've been told, vehicles in these trains are basically put in park and that's it, so they bumped other vehicles and were not damaged enough to worry about (some scratches on the bumpers, one had a small dent on the driver's door and driver's rear quarter panel), but again this is just a guess and i know all of nothing about the details of shipping vehicles by rail.
Given "derailment" is a wide range of possibilities, I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If the cars bumped around because they were humped over a yard derail on accident at low speeds, or a rail section simply folded over (that happens sometimes), it would certainly create damage like that. I'm not privy to how the insurance in those sorts of cases are handled. I'd assume there's a threshold of damage that has to occur to the train or the affected freight to be completely written off.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
All I know about rail damage is this: Early 1987 my special order of a 1987 Monte Carlo SS was on a train going through Ohio and was derailed and my car went over a siding after waiting 6 weeks for delivery.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My dealer got 2 Mustangs in today, both had front and rear damage, transporter drivers say it's because of the derailed train earlier in the month.
The damage happened to Mischievous Purple Mach 1 and EcoBoost
I fail to see a point in sharing this information.