Mounting a fire extinguisher?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I race in chump car or champ car now and rules require fire suppression system. For all my HPDE stuff never needed one.:shrug:
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Fire extinguisher, no. Eng and fuel cutoff's and fire suppression yes but not on a street car. Having said that, is this a cosmetic install? I don't see how a fire extinguisher in the car would help anything. I have never seen a car crash in a racing series or on the street when someone released the extinguisher, armed it and then proceeded to extinguish a fire. Also, the devices have to be regularly inspected and replaced to remain serviceable. Other wise hand held extinguishers are a hindrance, IMO.
If you're in an accident bad enough to start a fire, a little extinguisher is probably pointless.

For me, I have a methanol injection tank mounted right next to 600+ amps worth of electrical cable. If a spark of some kind ignites a methanol leak there is a good chance I will smell it before it turns from a burnt trunk and rear body panel to a car engulfed in flames. Both installs are solid, fused, and sealed but I like the extra peace of mind.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
If you're in an accident bad enough to start a fire, a little extinguisher is probably pointless.

For me, I have a methanol injection tank mounted right next to 600+ amps worth of electrical cable. If a spark of some kind ignites a methanol leak there is a good chance I will smell it before it turns from a burnt trunk and rear body panel to a car engulfed in flames. Both installs are solid, fused, and sealed but I like the extra peace of mind.
I would say that your setup up is inherently dangerous and not street legal? In that case, peace of mind is better.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I would say that your setup up is inherently dangerous and not street legal? In that case, peace of mind is better.
Sort of lol. It's legal to have methanol in your car aside from no-hazmat tunnels. However not emissions-legal to inject it in your intake on a street car :lol: Sound system and electrical is all legal though.

Really I don't anticipate it happening, otherwise I wouldn't have it in the car. Meth tank is welded stainless steel and all fittings are thread-taped and tight, leak checked several times. Electrical connections are all tight and protected. But I still realize the risk is there enough to want the extinguisher.

Here's a photo. You can see all the electrical wires on the right side.

Rgluckman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Sure can. Uses existing holes in the seat frame. Easiest to remove the seat bolts and tilt it back still in the car. Pretty solid mount. The seat bracket itself is wrinkle finish steel. The extinguisher mount is well machined and quick release with one hand. Bought the extinguishers from Summit Racing.
Where did you get the 3 clip nuts for under the seat?
Our GT350ā€™s have the holes but the clip nuts arenā€™t there. How did you get the BK R-2160 Seat Mount to screw in?
610FBF9D-121B-4288-86BD-A1CDD68F2EC0.jpeg

Sponsored

Gray Area GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
Where did you get the 3 clip nuts for under the seat?
Our GT350ā€™s have the holes but the clip nuts arenā€™t there. How did you get the BK R-2160 Seat Mount to screw in?
Yes that looks correct. I used all the hardware that came with the BK bracket. Did you put those clips in the holes A & B? Those are threaded inserts I believe. I took the clips out and put in the supplied clips. The screw/bolt for B was difficult to line up and it's pretty small so I used a magnetic socket.

OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I use this. much safer (no chance of 7LB fire extinguisher becoming a projectile in a crash), much lighter (1/2 LB vs. 7LB for a 5LB extinguisher), longer lasting (no expiration, 50 seconds instead of <10 seconds) and cheaper (no $100 mount).

80% of our w2w race series now uses these instead of a handheld.

https://elementfire.com/
Thanks bellwilliam. I ordered one of these (because I need an extinguisher as well a way to mount it.) It's so small and lightweight; seems great.

So I also ordered the "universal" mounting bracket from Element. It's the Bracketeer -- the same as what showed up when I started searching for mounting brackets. The Element extinguisher is so lightweight that it only needs one arm/clamp to securely hold it in place.

Rgluckman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yes that looks correct. I used all the hardware that came with the BK bracket. Did you put those clips in the holes A & B? Those are threaded inserts I believe. I took the clips out and put in the supplied clips. The screw/bolt for B was difficult to line up and it's pretty small so I used a magnetic socket.

Hey bud. So I have my entire passenger seat out of my car. How do you remove these screws that hold on the plastic piece?
7C2592BD-8315-4FD6-8EE2-F76CE9A86D66.jpeg

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Thanks bellwilliam. I ordered one of these (because I need an extinguisher as well a way to mount it.) It's so small and lightweight; seems great.

So I also ordered the "universal" mounting bracket from Element. It's the Bracketeer -- the same as what showed up when I started searching for mounting brackets. The Element extinguisher is so lightweight that it only needs one arm/clamp to securely hold it in place.
you didn't need to order any mounting bracket. the one it comes with works just fine...

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Fire extinguisher, no. Eng and fuel cutoff's and fire suppression yes but not on a street car. Having said that, is this a cosmetic install? I don't see how a fire extinguisher in the car would help anything. I have never seen a car crash in a racing series or on the street when someone released the extinguisher, armed it and then proceeded to extinguish a fire. Also, the devices have to be regularly inspected and replaced to remain serviceable. Other wise hand held extinguishers are a hindrance, IMO.
that team (949racing) in the youtube video has an Element handheld in every single one of their cars, race cars, tow truck, trailer, street cars....

Here in southern California tracks. a common scenario is a track would spin, engine stalls, dry grass (we have desert tracks) catches fire. Driver exits the vehicle and watch the car burn down to ground.

another common scenario is engine goes kaboom, piston leaves the block, spew oil on exhaust manifold. catches fire.
another is power steering fluid boils over, spew onto exhaust manifold. catches fire.

in our race series, every car requires an onboard system AND a handheld.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
you didn't need to order any mounting bracket. the one it comes with works just fine...
It is a nice mounting clip. But to what did you affix it?

I'm still deciding how and where I want to mount it. I'll use the mounting bracket if it's to go under the front of the seat, but I'm not crazy about that idea.

If none of the local venues required a mounted extinguisher, I wouldn't be fussin' so.

Thanks.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm in for info on how to mount the Element fire extinguisher. I could easily throw it in the glovebox, but...

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the bad photo and dirty car, but here is my custom made mount. Made it out of an old street sign and bought a 3LB auto fire extinguisher from Home Depot for ~$30. I'll try to get some better and cleaner pictures soon.

Here are the measurements if anyone wants to make one.

Any way you could re post the photos of your custom mount? They are not coming up.
Thanks,
Pete

OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm in for info on how to mount the Element fire extinguisher. I could easily throw it in the glovebox, but...
I ended up buying the Bracketeer, which was kind of expensive, but it can be put together in different ways to fit your needs, and I could anchor it to the two forward seat anchor bolts. I bought longer anchor bolts and had to modify two of the Bracketeer components, but now it is "mounted." (I'd would've just kept it in the glove box if mounting wasn't required.)
Sponsored