Moog rear wheel bearing + ARP wheel studs = problem

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Wanted to post here so this doesn't catch anyone else off guard like it did me yesterday.

Replacing both rear wheel bearings on my "16 GT. I have ARP lug studs all around on the car. The knurl diameter of the ARP studs DOES NOT FIT the Moog wheel bearings. The knurl diameter on the ARP studs is larger than the knurl diameter of the Moog units.

You have to cut the threads off the Moog wheel studs, then drive them out because the head of the stud won't clear the hub casting with the stud intact. Then once you get the studs out you have to drill the Moog flange out to accept the larger knurl diameter of the ARP lug studs. The ARP knurl diamteter is .625", the Moog lug stud knurl diameter is .560" and the drill size I used was 29/64" (.609"). Then I chamfered the back of the flange to ensure the studs would seat squarely, greased them and pressed them in with my hydraulic press. They went on the car and everything was perfectly centered and the studs torqued up rock solid.

The rumor is that the Moog wheel bearings are lasting longer than the Motorcraft ones, but be aware, if you run the Moog ones and you have aftermarket wheel studs, you're going to have some machine work on your hands.
IMG_5745.jpg
IMG_5744.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Where are the Moog made?
The arp studs are 12mm or 14mm ?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
1MeanZ

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Where are the Moog made?
The arp studs are 12mm or 14mm ?
They are made for Moog by Federal Mogul apparently, no idea where. They are 14mm, they are the same as the stock lug studs, just longer and stronger.

OP
OP
1MeanZ

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
The knurl of the ARP studs is aggressive. Its been noted before, so IDK if what youā€™re seeing is an issue with the hubs or a ā€˜normalā€™ problem with the studs.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p32..._With_6MM_Starting_Bullet_-_Set_of_10_.html#/
What I'm seeing isn't a problem at all, at least I wouldn't call it that. It's common for aftermarket wheel bearing assemblies to have slightly different geometry on the lug studs. I've ran into this before on other cars, I just didn't expect it here. I updated the original post to include my actual measurements. I just drilled the Moog hub flanges a little larger and all was well. Posting here in case anyone else buys parts store wheel bearings in the future and expects their lug studs to swap over and fit.

Sponsored

LC00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just wanted to say thanks very much for making this post. UNFORTUNATELY I found it only after ordering this Moog bearing but I was pulling my hair out not understanding why the hell the studs were different. At least now I know I'm not crazy. I'm just going to return the Moog bearing and buy a OEM Ford bearing. Thanks again man!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Any particular reason you guys run Rear extended studs ? My understanding is this is not needed for any practical reason what so ever ?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
ā€œNeededā€? Depends on your goals I suppose. With signature wheels and open ended lug nuts, I wanted the stud out flush to the end of the lug nut. This was not the case with stock studs. Didnā€™t notice it at the time, but now that theyā€™re installed, I really appreciate how much thread engagement (number of turns) there is. ā€œNeededā€? Maybe not. Peace of mind and looks? Absolutely.

D76151EA-E64E-49F2-9872-64CE8AC17040.jpeg

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Any particular reason you guys run Rear extended studs ? My understanding is this is not needed for any practical reason what so ever ?
I run slip-on wheel spacers and need the extended studs

Just wanted to say thanks very much for making this post. UNFORTUNATELY I found it only after ordering this Moog bearing but I was pulling my hair out not understanding why the hell the studs were different. At least now I know I'm not crazy. I'm just going to return the Moog bearing and buy a OEM Ford bearing. Thanks again man!
Just get the Ford Perf kit that comes with the bearings and ARP studs and also includes new axle nuts and hub bolts (since those should be replaced each time as well)
2015-2019 MUSTANG REAR WHEEL HUB KIT WITH ARP STUDS| Part Details for M-1104-B | Ford Performance Parts

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It looks like shit when they're different. I use the stock length, just ARP.

OP
OP
1MeanZ

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but what is the reason to run slip-ons ?
To get proper fitment with stock wheels like this. Without spacers the wheels are all sucked in and look goofy. Not as noticeable at stock height, but real obvious when lowered.
fitment.jpg

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Huge thanks to the op for the info.
The moog front wheel bearing assemblies have the same issue. The 39/64" drill bit takes care of it.
Sponsored