Mixed info about coyote hp limit

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Coyotes are known for pumping the pan dry on long pulls. Don’t think 10 quarts makes you safe
Again something I've never heard before. So a built engine won't be bulletproof on long runs?
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Again something I've never heard before. So a built engine won't be bulletproof on long runs?
Depends on if you suck the oil pan dry. The heads can take up a lot of oil and it takes time for the oil to get back in to the pan. A built engine normally would not have to worry about it because if the engine builder knows what they are doing they have increased the oil drain back.

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Depends on if you suck the oil pan dry. The heads can take up a lot of oil and it takes time for the oil to get back in to the pan. A built engine normally would not have to worry about it because if the engine builder knows what they are doing they have increased the oil drain back.
Well, wouldn't that be a problem vor N/A GTs as well? I ask, because we never had someone without supercharger reporting a damaged engine from long top speed pulls, which is possible on unlimited Autobahn sections.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Coyotes are known for pumping the pan dry on long pulls. Don’t think 10 quarts makes you safe
I was not sure if it be or not. but 10 qt's are better than the 302's 5qts.
Have not worked on any to look at the oil flow back design.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Well, wouldn't that be a problem vor N/A GTs as well? I ask, because we never had someone without supercharger reporting a damaged engine from long top speed pulls, which is possible on unlimited Autobahn sections.
Blowers pressurize the crank case more than n/a ever would. the pressure wants out and out is the pvc that is at the top. air flow going up doesn't help gravity get oil to the pan.
I've seen blower toped engine lift the oil dipstick out of the tube on a 1320 run.
IIRC now you need engine oil and transmission dipsticks that lock into place at somepoint to pass tech for anNHRA track. but it's been a decade + since I looked at a rule book that hard.

Sponsored

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think you definitely need really great octane with these motors. And a cooler higher octane fuel like E85 is probably why mine is alive. I beat my car daily hitting over 8k rpm like 20 times a day lol. I just drive for fun and for some reason my car loves it, only ~7k miles supercharged at 750+ rwhp so far though but 47k miles of pure abuse but perfect maintenance, ceratec, keeping oil topped with amsoil , and e85 and no cats after going supercharged. Stock gen 3 motor with no OPG's. Knock on wood. Also I get 8.8 mpg
Any oil consumption issues with your drive style?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ford designed the Coyote engine on the GT's to be N/A, and deliver an advertised 400+ HP, with a warranty no less.

When guys like us expect it to live a long happy life with FI and double (or more) the HP, and not compensating in any way, consequences will occur and things are going to go bump/grind/pop.

Proper clearances in the engine, fuel type, tune, and supporting mods are critical.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Any oil consumption issues with your drive style?
Yes it uses oil, but I am not surprised considering how I drive it. I add about .75 qt per 1k miles. I check the oil every ~500 miles and just keep it topped. Oil life is down to 5% within 3k miles using the oil life reset monitor. I think I would have blown this motor years ago if I never checked my oil and went like 3k or more miles between changes while driving like this.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Regarding ring gap, I had always been of the mind that you needed more for forced induction. Per wise o instructions decades ago, I typically ran up to .026 in the top ring. My spare Gen3 short block is totally stoc except I gapped the top ring to .018-.020.

However, I have my doubts about this. Ford GT only runs .008-.010, predator runs .008-.012, while Coyote spec is also .008-.012. The cobra jet is .018-.020, which is why I chose that for my own.

It was also pointed out to me that most ring land failures are actually caused by knock, not end gap. The ring land area is the the most likely place for knock to happen since that is the last place the flame reaches.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Regarding ring gap, I had always been of the mind that you needed more for forced induction. Per wise o instructions decades ago, I typically ran up to .026 in the top ring. My spare Gen3 short block is totally stoc except I gapped the top ring to .018-.020.

However, I have my doubts about this. Ford GT only runs .008-.010, predator runs .008-.012, while Coyote spec is also .008-.012. The cobra jet is .018-.020, which is why I chose that for my own.

It was also pointed out to me that most ring land failures are actually caused by knock, not end gap. The ring land area is the the most likely place for knock to happen since that is the last place the flame reaches.
I’m guessing now that the GEN3 is using coated aluminum cylinders the traditional iron bore ring end gap rules change. I say this based on my days spent with powersports engines switching from iron liners to Nikasil or some other equivalently coated aluminum bore.

As for oil consumption, I’m a hard core believer in NOT using full synthetic oil for break-in. If those rings glaze over on coated bores, kiss total ring seal good bye forever….
I believe but can’t recall if there’s a Ford supplemental procedure for GT350 engine break-in that's focused on ring sealing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Yes it uses oil, but I am not surprised considering how I drive it. I add about .75 qt per 1k miles. I check the oil every ~500 miles and just keep it topped. Oil life is down to 5% within 3k miles using the oil life reset monitor. I think I would have blown this motor years ago if I never checked my oil and went like 3k or more miles between changes while driving like this.
Jesus almost a quart per 1000 miles? Rip

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Jesus almost a quart per 1000 miles? Rip
TBH I am kind of surprised that it doesn't use more. I had an 09 cts-v with 90k miles on it that would use about twice as much and catch like a half pint per 1k miles in the catch can but still ran great and made great power. I hit 178 mph in that car still my fastest I've been.

A catch can is another thing that I think can help on long pulls. If you have oil going through the intake, that ends up lowering your effective octane rating, so I think catch cans can help prevent that or at least help reduce the negative effects of sucking oil through the intake on long pulls.

Last edited:

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mahles Power Pack Gen3 piston/ring/pin set is specific on ring end gap on the chart they supply with the piston set.

More boost = more ring end gap.

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You should be aware of what might happen. In 11/2019 I got the Edelbrock TVS 2650 Supercharger Kit (Stage I) with 700 crank horsepower. I switched to 5W50 oil and installed the MMR Cylinder Cooling mod. Long story short: In 10/2021 after 22.000 km I wrecked my engine. Cylinder Nr. 6: zero compression, Piston cracked, cylinder sleeve and head damaged.

I never took my car to a racetrack but I drove it hard on winding roads and did some hard pulls on the Autobahn up to 300 km/h. The coyote did not like that. I guess it depends on your driving profile. If you plan to use the power regurlarly, you should better have some dollars in reserve for the worst case, quite enough to go for built coyote. That´s the way I go right now.
Did you leave it on the edelbrock file? I also have an edelbrock blower and it cracked pistons 5, 6, and 8. So I did some research and found that their file is known to break engines. Rebuilt the motor and working on getting it tuned right now. Thing is a monster.

RSKTAKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does anyone know the limits of the Bear Ultra coyote block yet?
Sponsored