Sponsored

Mixed info about coyote hp limit

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
did some hard pulls on the Autobahn up to 300 km/h. The coyote did not like that.
If you read some of the replies after the initial post, it's determined that long highway pulls is very hard on the components and is the main cause of damage. Sounds like you did just that and found out the hard way the weakpoint of the engine.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The reason it's mixed is because the question is way too dynamic to ever have a solid single answer or a specific value.

There's no hard and fast rule. It's more of a spectrum of risky to less risky.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
M-Driver,

Top compression ring end gap will not tolerate double digit boost for a long highway pull. Top ring will expand to the point where the ends will touch and then it's all over.

If long hard, boosted pulls are your requirement, you'll have to disassemble the engine and gap the rings accordingly.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
M-Driver,

Top compression ring end gap will not tolerate double digit boost for a long highway pull. Top ring will expand to the point where the ends will touch and then it's all over.

If long hard, boosted pulls are your requirement, you'll have to disassemble the engine and gap the rings accordingly.
Is that true even when running e85? I did a 35-165 pull which was about 11 seconds of WOT, was thinking about trying 200 mph but I may have to change my strategy if I want to do that. Maybe I could start the 200 mph run at like 140 mph before I go wot.

@M-Driver, were you on e85? Also, did you have catalytic converters? I ask because I think being on e85 and not having cats could definitely help on long pulls.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The accelleration to top speed strategy on this run in a koenigsegg agera is pretty interesting. Seems like hes at half throttle until like 180 mph

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
M-Driver,

If you go that far you might as well put in Mahle pistons and H beam rods and billet gears in the oil pump. Then you are good for 1000hp.Kinda

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Is that true even when running e85? I did a 35-165 pull which was about 11 seconds of WOT, was thinking about trying 200 mph but I may have to change my strategy if I want to do that. Maybe I could start the 200 mph run at like 140 mph before I go wot.

@M-Driver, were you on e85? Also, did you have catalytic converters? I ask because I think being on e85 and not having cats could definitely help on long pulls.
Unfortunately, we don't have E85 in germany. I am still on catted stock headers. No cats are no option here and there is just one street legal long tube header with high flow cat available but it costs a lot, around 4.000 Euro.

I just stumbled upon the fact, that the stock coyote is not top speed proof after I wrecked mine. A friend of mine killed his supercharged Coyote too. He had the gen 3, which seems to be more vulnerable due to the higher compression ratio and the additional particle filter the gen 3 has over here.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
that the stock coyote is not top speed proof after I wrecked mine. A friend of mine killed his supercharged Coyote too.
I mean, were you really thinking a stock engine that's supercharged to over twice the power output would survive an extended pull like that?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, we don't have E85 in germany. I am still on catted stock headers. No cats are no option here and there is just one street legal long tube header with high flow cat available but it costs a lot, around 4.000 Euro.

I just stumbled upon the fact, that the stock coyote is not top speed proof after I wrecked mine. A friend of mine killed his supercharged Coyote too. He had the gen 3, which seems to be more vulnerable due to the higher compression ratio and the additional particle filter the gen 3 has over here.
I think you definitely need really great octane with these motors. And a cooler higher octane fuel like E85 is probably why mine is alive. I beat my car daily hitting over 8k rpm like 20 times a day lol. I just drive for fun and for some reason my car loves it, only ~7k miles supercharged at 750+ rwhp so far though but 47k miles of pure abuse but perfect maintenance, ceratec, keeping oil topped with amsoil , and e85 and no cats after going supercharged. Stock gen 3 motor with no OPG's. Knock on wood. Also I get 8.8 mpg

Last edited:

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
If you go that far you might as well put in Mahle pistons and H beam rods and billet gears in the oil pump. Then you are good for 1000hp.Kinda
My built engine will have all that features, though it won't be sleeved as I won't go over 700 crank horsepower. With so much power I always struggle for traction anyway and straight line performance is not my first priority.

Sponsored

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I mean, were you really thinking a stock engine that's supercharged to over twice the power output would survive an extended pull like that?
Yes, obviously we thought that. The Gen2 coyote definitely survived that kind of abuse for much longer. Nearly 2 years and 22.000 km and approx. 100 extended pulls on the Autobahn. But most of them were 100-200 km/h, very few were up to 250 km/h+

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If we're going to tie ring gaps to the biggest risk, then it would be better to develop a observation based upon piston Temps rather than how long you're at WOT or how fast.

Ring expansion/closure is directly tied to how hot they are and the ring doesn't care if you're doing 40 mph or 180 mph. Granted, having the rings bind at 8k rpms is ostensibly worse than 1500 rpms, but my point is if you heat soak the motor, you can expand and bind the rings after several repetitive runs to 130. Temperature is Temperature.

I'd be curious if there's data out there about rings,, gaps and expansion and at what Temps the ends make love.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The longer you are wot the hotter the cylinders are getting. The stock rings are gaped to tight for boost. You can run a gapless ring and get the best of both worlds

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
If you read some of the replies after the initial post, it's determined that long highway pulls is very hard on the components and is the main cause of damage. Sounds like you did just that and found out the hard way the weakpoint of the engine.
High speed romps, need correct gearing. Something these cars from the factory lack.
Take that same car and do a banshe romp with2.50- 2.73 rear gears. or a nice tall top gear. (6th manual) 10th auto.
unlikely in cars designed for roads that the top speed legal limit is 80mph.
only worry then is pumping the sump dry. and at 10 qt's shouldn't happen

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
High speed romps, need correct gearing. Something these cars from the factory lack.
Take that same car and do a banshe romp with2.50- 2.73 rear gears. or a nice tall top gear. (6th manual) 10th auto.
unlikely in cars designed for roads that the top speed legal limit is 80mph.
only worry then is pumping the sump dry. and at 10 qt's shouldn't happen
Coyotes are known for pumping the pan dry on long pulls. Don’t think 10 quarts makes you safe
Sponsored