Mid Corner Throttle?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
No, because it backs up the brake zone so far. It would open the corner radius a bit, but not enough to make up the time lost braking. The grip has been so low at Laguna for the last 5+ years that almost any attempt to run later entries is doomed to turn into a drifting exhibition (that goes for turn 9 as well).
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
FBB, if you're passing someone on the outside of turn 2, then they've either got a flat tire or they _suck_. I believe you've done it, but it just doesn't happen against anyone remotely competitive.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hey all, looking at what I've written here, I'm being a dick. I'm in a shit mood & it shows. What I'm writing is accurate, but don't read anything more into it, ok? It's me, not you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey all, looking at what I've written here, I'm being a dick. I'm in a shit mood & it shows. What I'm writing is accurate, but don't read anything more into it, ok? It's me, not you.
Tech without the sugar-coat? Wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over on Corner-Carvers. Just sayin'

Norm

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd rather hear the real truth instead of some feel good crap.

Unless you deleted some stuff, I don't think you were being a dick.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't picking on shogun just trying to make a point about working together or not working together on track.
I think that post has the most references to my handle (or anyone's) I've seen on this site. My (ex)wife didn't even moan my name that frequently in bed! Don't look in the mirror or like Bettle-Juice I'll appear behind you...

I generally throttle down on long straights to let faster vehicles by. Having to expressly point them by seems a bit contrived but I guess the point is not to suddenly materialize on the slower driver's inside at the turn in point for the upcoming turn? In bike land you just stay rider right and the missile bikes will fly by without any prompting.

If no one is around, go ahead and make V's out of arcs. It irks me mostly because I'm on the gas for 75% of the arc and while you may have drawn level at or just before turn-in you're drifting wide and slowing while I'm trying to hold a tighter line and accelerate and you're in my way. As much as bumper cars is fun, it tends not to improve people's days.

I think you were reading a bit more into "'hate' those guys" than was intended.

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I think that post has the most references to my handle (or anyone's) I've seen on this site. My (ex)wife didn't even moan my name that frequently in bed! Don't look in the mirror or like Bettle-Juice I'll appear behind you...

I generally throttle down on long straights to let faster vehicles by. Having to expressly point them by seems a bit contrived but I guess the point is not to suddenly materialize on the slower driver's inside at the turn in point for the upcoming turn? In bike land you just stay rider right and the missile bikes will fly by without any prompting.

If no one is around, go ahead and make V's out of arcs. It irks me mostly because I'm on the gas for 75% of the arc and while you may have drawn level at or just before turn-in you're drifting wide and slowing while I'm trying to hold a tighter line and accelerate and you're in my way. As much as bumper cars is fun, it tends not to improve people's days.

I think you were reading a bit more into "'hate' those guys" than was intended.
Not sure why you are so wound tight. Covid is ending you can relax a bit now.

Pointing contrived? I would think a hotshot like you would know that in hpde not all group sessions are open passing. There is a thing called a pointby group. On the gas 75% of the arc means you overslowed the corner hotshot. Let us know when Ferrari calls you to replace LeClerc.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I used to get banned by the mods on other forums ... on rare occasions. We're not at that level here, but it is kind of fun to see folks losing their composure. Bad behavior in manageable quantities can be entertaining.
FBB, Did you ever stop to think that putting a bunch of trophies in you sig is a bit gouche?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
On the gas 75% of the arc means you overslowed the corner
This is correct. If you've carried the appropriate corner entry speed, there will be nothing in your head that tells you to go to throttle. If you do anyway, you'll go off.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I think we need to define "on the gas". Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of us go from brake directly to throttle after turn in? Maintenance throttle of varying degrees until we start to track out and roll into full throttle as we approach end of pavement? I can't think of any other approach unless we're on dirt.
The grey area is how much maintenance throttle you use. I haven't seen anyone state they're at 75 percent throttle at the apex. If they are, then we can assume they are slow or driving an AH Sprite or double apexing 2 at Laguna.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think we need to define "on the gas". Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of us go from brake directly to throttle after turn in? Maintenance throttle of varying degrees until we start to track out and roll into full throttle as we approach end of pavement? I can't think of any other approach unless we're on dirt.
The grey area is how much maintenance throttle you use. I haven't seen anyone state they're at 75 percent throttle at the apex. If they are, then we can assume they are slow or driving an AH Sprite or double apexing 2 at Laguna.
Yes, you should be going directly from the brake to the throttle in every corner. If you don't have your foot either on the brake or the throttle, you are not in control of the car.

I agree you aren't punching it when you put your foot on the throttle.

The percentage of the turn where you are applying maintenance throttle only depends on how much of a steady state corner it is. 75% is a lot and I would assume that's for a carousel type of corner.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, you should be going directly from the brake to the throttle in every corner. If you don't have your foot either on the brake or the throttle, you are not in control of the car.
Unless you're left-foot braking there's always going to be a brief period of time when your right foot isn't on either pedal. Even if you register your right foot by its heel on the floor between the gas and brake pedals and aren't involving lifting-the-whole-leg movements to go from one pedal to the other. Plus there's two little scraps of time when you're going from 'small' braking to none at all and during the early stages of ramping up on the throttle when the forward/rearward force demands on tire grip are low.

Side note to the Driver61 link's mention of heel-on-the-floor . . . judging by his picture I've been locating my right foot in that manner since before he was born - it just seems that natural. Though admittedly doing so can get in the way of heel-toe.

Norm