its just a 2 door fusion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a manual with the 3.55 gears and I'm about an hour away from work as well. It really isn't bad at all. I just put it in first and creep ever so slowly to allow a good distance between myself and the guy in front of me, and let the RPM's hover around the 800 mark, and I'm golden my whole trip. Rarely have to use the clutch, unless some guys jumps in my lane and I have to stop short. Plus, in a car like this, back roads FTW.
Sponsored

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Especially with higher numerical gears, traffic is easy to handle. I think it's fun having a manual in traffic. Something to do rather than just sit there. With 3.73 or higher numerical gears you can even use engine braking a lot of the time and you don't need to apply the brakes when everyone else is. I don't know about 3.55, but I'm sure you won't have a problem. You just might have to use the clutch a little more.

...<snip for brevity>...
What about texting, surfing, reading, eating, fussing with the kids... there's no end to the things you can do without a stick!!!! Trust me, I've seen it.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
I drive a manual with the 3.55 gears and I'm about an hour away from work as well. It really isn't bad at all. I just put it in first and creep ever so slowly to allow a good distance between myself and the guy in front of me, and let the RPM's hover around the 800 mark, and I'm golden my whole trip. Rarely have to use the clutch, unless some guys jumps in my lane and I have to stop short. Plus, in a car like this, back roads FTW.
sounds like my commute and driving style during traffic. i suppose if you like to tailgate you wont like driving in traffic in a manual. i'm pretty sure the majority of drivers drive that way, not our way.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
I live in LA and was very hesitant to pick up a manual mustang. My 99-04 mustangs had the hardest clutch pedal out of any car. I picked up my 06 Mustang GT from a private party and the guy put in a heavy heavy heavy clutch. So i had no idea what to expect. My 2015 clutch, light as a Honda. Really not a big deal. And while heavier cars are harder to drive manual due to the weight, the mustang drives so much smoother. I know there are days I will want auto but the days I want manual are way more.

Last edited:

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I live in LA and was very hesitant to pick up a manual mustang. My 99-04 mustangs had the hardest clutch pedal out of any car. I picked up my 06 Mustang GT from a private party and the guy put in a heavy heavy heavy clutch. So i had no idea what to expect. My 2015 clutch, light as a Honda. Really not a big deal. And while heavier cars are harder to drive manual due to the weight, the mustang drives so much smoother. I know there are days I will want auto but the ways I want manual are way more.
I think that pretty much sums it up. For me, driving an auto is akin to pointing the car and waiting for something interesting to happen. With a stick, I'm part of the operation. And THAT is why I like to drive. One is a task the other is a passion.

Plus the $1195 in your pocket ain't so bad either.

Sponsored

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
I think that pretty much sums it up. For me, driving an auto is akin to pointing the car and waiting for something interesting to happen. With a stick, I'm part of the operation. And THAT is why I like to drive. One is a task the other is a passion.

Plus the $1195 in your pocket ain't so bad either.
Obviously I'm on the same page because I bought a manual as well but have you driven a modern auto? If you are a diehard manual fan you may have not even had the opportunity. They are worlds apart from the 4spd/od slush boxes of yesteryear. Nothing more sketchy than floating down a mountain road with nothing but the brakes to control the car in a turn. With the newer 5/6/7/etc cars and reasonably decent paddle shifters they can be enjoyable.

I got bored during the night last weekend and took my wife's Honda fit up into the canyon to flog the hell out of it. I had the rear inside wheel off the ground, was bouncing off the rev limiter, and all in all having a grand old time. She said to me "I didn't know my car could do that" to which I replied "yeah, neither did I haha." Never did I feel lack of control.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I never told him to get it I said it could be "might be" an option. I know people who have gotten away with it but I do not recommend it either. I have driven in all-seasons in a Chicago winter and gotten through it just fine since the roads get plowed pretty good.

you are a total stupid idiot.

no, Im just playing! I wasn't bashing you in the original post. This is the first time Ive used winter tires and they make a huge difference. We all may not be skilled chicago rally drivers :D

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
I have a really bum (and 62-year-old) left leg and lotsa traffic on the freeways, and it is really no problem. Third gear handles most slow, even very slow, traffic with the 3.73 rear end. The clutch is light and the engine tractable.

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
When I bought this new 2015, I drove both the manual and automatic.. I was curious about the paddle shifters. (Which I thought worked very well btw) I have owned 3 2011 cars.. two with manuals and one with an auto. The auto had 3.15 gears and one of the manuals 3.73s. I'm mildly ashamed to say I don't know what gear set was in the GTCS. Regardless, I thought the automatic was an extremely well sorted transmission and ultimately most likely faster in most applications.

Having said all that, I went with the manual in my 2015. I don't plan to daily drive the car although it won't be a garage queen and when I do get out in it, I want to feel the connection with the car and practice the skills I've acquired driving several manuals over the years. I like manuals because they make you pay attention to the car a bit more. Also, I don't plan to supercharge it as I've been that route too and, imho, the "benefit" doesn't justify the cost. I've nothing against it mind you.

Couple of things to think about. If you are planning to supercharge with a roots style blower, I would consider the auto with 3:15 gears. These types of blowers need something to"pull against" for lack of a better description and with street tires and 3.55s you'll proably be faster with the taller gears because of traction issues. Plus you'll get marginally better fuel economy (hey every little bit helps). Also, the automatic is going to be much more durable in the long run and you can "manually" control it.

I have a friend with a 600 hp '07 manual... He's had the clutch replaced with something able to hold the power and he hates it. It chatters and squeaks every time he starts out from a stop making him feel like he's driving a 600hp jalopy. :headbonk:

If you think you might not end up supercharging then seriously consider the manual. You'll have no issues with stop and go traffic and it does keep you involved with the car more. Whatever you chose, you can't really go wrong... 1st world problems ya know. :cheers:

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Obviously I'm on the same page because I bought a manual as well but have you driven a modern auto? If you are a diehard manual fan you may have not even had the opportunity. They are worlds apart from the 4spd/od slush boxes of yesteryear. Nothing more sketchy than floating down a mountain road with nothing but the brakes to control the car in a turn. With the newer 5/6/7/etc cars and reasonably decent paddle shifters they can be enjoyable.

I got bored during the night last weekend and took my wife's Honda fit up into the canyon to flog the hell out of it. I had the rear inside wheel off the ground, was bouncing off the rev limiter, and all in all having a grand old time. She said to me "I didn't know my car could do that" to which I replied "yeah, neither did I haha." Never did I feel lack of control.
My first 2015 test drive was with the auto. OMG those paddle shifters suck. Or more accurately, I suck using those paddle shifters. Definitely not for me. Granted, they're entirely optional. I didn't dislike the car at all. I just wanted the manual in a sports car.

As for "flog" and "Honda Fit" use in the same sentence... wouldn't that be any drive in a fit, no matter the distance? :p

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What about texting, surfing, reading, eating, fussing with the kids... there's no end to the things you can do without a stick!!!! Trust me, I've seen it.

And those are the primary reasons that traffic goes nowhere in my area. The light can turn green and people are still sitting there with their faces buried in their phones.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And those are the primary reasons that traffic goes nowhere in my area. The light can turn green and people are still sitting there with their faces buried in their phones.
I've noticed in the last few years traffic has gotten a lot worse. Many, many people leave a big gap in front of themselves so they can play with their phone... and they typically are in the fast lane. :doh:

for that much money, it's easier just to buy a winter beater car and keep the summer tires
But then you have to drive a winter beater 6 months out of the year. NOT WORTH IT!! :)

One more comment to the OP - if you get the PP, your winter rims have to be 19s and the snow tires will cost significantly more. If you want the PP rims anyway, the PP is probably worth it. But you may want to look up and compare the price of your favorite snow tires in the different sizes before you make your final decision.

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Actually thinking about it the no spoiler on the pp bugs me. I always add an aftermarket spoiler and fact that I would have to drill into it without one is a no no . Really only thing u wanted was brembos. Going to drive them back to back in morning . We shall see but this morning driving home I was a complete zombie I don't know if shifting would help or jus tick me off.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
But then you have to drive a winter beater 6 months out of the year. NOT WORTH IT!! :)
True...here on Long Island it's doable

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
My first 2015 test drive was with the auto. OMG those paddle shifters suck. Or more accurately, I suck using those paddle shifters. Definitely not for me. Granted, they're entirely optional. I didn't dislike the car at all. I just wanted the manual in a sports car.

As for "flog" and "Honda Fit" use in the same sentence... wouldn't that be any drive in a fit, no matter the distance? :p
I had the same feeling with paddle shifters in general, it took me quite some time to get used to it and not feel out of my element in a canyon. For the first several experiences, it felt horrible. I still dont think its a comparable experience to a proper manual gear box though, hence my choice of PP.

As far as the fit goes, in a straight line trying to pass or steep elevation grade, hell yes it's a miserable constant flogging haha! Worst road trip car ever aside from glorious mpg. In one of many california canyons? I gaurantee I could keep up with you, even with a quarter of the horsepower. Lightweight little car = momentum driving.
Sponsored