Manual in traffic

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Thank you. I'm going to go drive them back to back tomorow and try to find traffic. The auto and 3.55s are awesome I've heard. And honestly if I blow it the auto would get me down track quicker . Choices to make .....
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
You will get used to it OP. I DD in a very dense traffic area too

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ya I would def have to get better before winter otherwise there would be a huge pucker factor . Lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So this has been killing me I truly want a manual trans but... I live in Chicago commute daily in one hour bumper to bumper traffic. And then the plan down the road is a roots style blower . This will be a dd 365 to include winters. I had ordered a auto with the 3.55s but before I sink 40k how do you guys handle traffic? Please don't turn this into an auto vs manny war this is simply for my application and tips thanks.
Especially with higher numerical gears, traffic is easy to handle. I think it's fun having a manual in traffic. Something to do rather than just sit there. With 3.73 or higher numerical gears you can even use engine braking a lot of the time and you don't need to apply the brakes when everyone else is. I don't know about 3.55, but I'm sure you won't have a problem. You just might have to use the clutch a little more.

I don't leave a big gap or anything; where I live that's an invitation for 20 people to pull in front of you.

I guess it's a little hard to even give advice here, because to me there's nothing special about it. I do usually try to avoid holding the clutch down for long periods of time. If traffic stops more than momentarily I pull it out of gear.

Let us know how the blower/winter go together. I've thought about a power adder, but I worry a little that if the car has too much torque it will be difficult to control in icy conditions. It's probably just my natural worry wart coming out, because the car without a power adder is easy enough to drive in the snow.

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
In regards to blower I sent a lot of emails out to team beefcake and procharger maybe been try a roots . But I want realibiltiy in winter so really depends which application will work. I have about 6-7k set aside for mods . My little voice says do wheels exhuast stripes tint and save anything else for a while . While the little devil is screaming Blower lol

Anyways the traffic is usally lasts about 20-30 mins about 3 times a week.

Sponsored

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
For what it's worth manual in traffic is doable unless you knee/ankle problems.

I've lived in the SF bay area, Los Angeles, Houston, and Atlanta. DD'd a manual in all of them.

The clutch in these cars is so light compared to anything similar from 10 years ago. If you really want a manual just get it.

Whatever you end up with enjoy it.

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Piggy back question.

gt with 3.55 manual is 35k
gt with performance pack 37k

With plans for blower should i just save the money and get the 3.55 or are the brembos worth it ? I do really like the pp wheels and would leave them just get different tires.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Piggy back question.

With plans for blower should i just save the money and get the 3.55 or are the brembos worth it ? I do really like the pp wheels and would leave them just get different tires.
The performance package give's you a lot more then just a set of gears, and the slightly larger radiator capacity can't hurt if a blower is in your future.

Don't regret a decision, a PP with 3.73's will be just as bad in the snow with an automatic, and for all the times you won't be in traffic, you'll be happy you got the manual.

CarGuy85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST
Piggy back question.

Don't forget if you plan on driving it throughout the Chicago winter you are going to need a set of winter wheels/tires which would be another $1000-$1500 if you get the PP. The PP has summer only tires, but if you get the 3.55 manual those come with all seasons, so that might get you through winter ok with snow/wet mode on. Just another thing to consider.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Don't forget if you plan on driving it throughout the Chicago winter you are going to need a set of winter wheels/tires which would be another $1000-$1500 if you get the PP. The PP has summer only tires, but if you get the 3.55 manual those come with all seasons, so that might get you through winter ok with snow/wet mode on. Just another thing to consider.
for that much money, it's easier just to buy a winter beater car and keep the summer tires

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
So this has been killing me I truly want a manual trans but... I live in Chicago commute daily in one hour bumper to bumper traffic. And then the plan down the road is a roots style blower . This will be a dd 365 to include winters. I had ordered a auto with the 3.55s but before I sink 40k how do you guys handle traffic? Please don't turn this into an auto vs manny war this is simply for my application and tips thanks.
I put 20k miles a year and almost every day commute into baltimore city. at least half of the time I am running into some kind of traffic on the highway in addition to inner city traffic, both of which is sometimes just awful.

The stick is no problem :headbang:. Clutch is not heavy enough to wear out your left leg. The car (and I 'only' have an EB) can roll out in 2nd very easily too if you have stop and go patches and you dont want to do keep shifting out of and into first. 2nd wont bog you down at all. The shifter itself is not honda civic buttery smooth but it is plenty not to be a factor in traffic. It will go into first pretty easily even when you aren't totally stopped. Zero aggravation or fatigue...zero.

Like hell you will get on okay with all-seasons in chicago!! :frusty:

Do not listen to that guy. Get the performance pack solely because $2500 is a steal for all the kit that comes with it. More importantly though, you WILL need winter tires in a Chicago winter. There is absolutely no getting around that. This car does admirably with its winter/snow mode but you just cannot get around winter tires. All seasons will be manageable up to 2 inches. Good winter tires maybe 5 tops driving cautiously. Any more than that and get a ride or call out unless you know its plowed. I was fortunate to get a nice healthy winter this year to get myself acquainted with the car, and I am so happy I dropped money on winter tires. MD snow < Chicago snow.

As a bonus, the manual trans provided excellent engine braking in snowy conditions. from what everyone with GT autos say, the auto doesn't engine brake well at all. Get the stick. Dont be cheap, get winter tires and make backup plans for the heaviest snowstorms. and get the PP if you still have money leftover, its worth it unless you will be doing ramen as a result

CarGuy85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST
I put 20k miles a year and almost every day commute into baltimore city. at least half of the time I am running into some kind of traffic on the highway in addition to inner city traffic, both of which is sometimes just awful.

The stick is no problem :headbang:. Clutch is not heavy enough to wear out your left leg. The car (and I 'only' have an EB) can roll out in 2nd very easily too if you have stop and go patches and you dont want to do keep shifting out of and into first. 2nd wont bog you down at all. The shifter itself is not honda civic buttery smooth but it is plenty not to be a factor in traffic. It will go into first pretty easily even when you aren't totally stopped. Zero aggravation or fatigue...zero.

Like hell you will get on okay with all-seasons in chicago!! :frusty:

Do not listen to that guy. Get the performance pack solely because $2500 is a steal for all the kit that comes with it. More importantly though, you WILL need winter tires in a Chicago winter. There is absolutely no getting around that. This car does admirably with its winter/snow mode but you just cannot get around winter tires. All seasons will be manageable up to 2 inches. Good winter tires maybe 5 tops driving cautiously. Any more than that and get a ride or call out unless you know its plowed. I was fortunate to get a nice healthy winter this year to get myself acquainted with the car, and I am so happy I dropped money on winter tires. MD snow < Chicago snow.

As a bonus, the manual trans provided excellent engine braking in snowy conditions. from what everyone with GT autos say, the auto doesn't engine brake well at all. Get the stick. Dont be cheap, get winter tires and make backup plans for the heaviest snowstorms. and get the PP if you still have money leftover, its worth it unless you will be doing ramen as a result
I never told him to get it I said it could be "might be" an option. I know people who have gotten away with it but I do not recommend it either. I have driven in all-seasons in a Chicago winter and gotten through it just fine since the roads get plowed pretty good.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I guess for me ignorance is bliss. My first car, a Datsun 280Z was a stick. Every car or truck I've owned after that has been a stick as well, so I don't really know the joys and frustrations of dealing with an automatic in traffic. I don't really pay attention to all the shifting I must do downtown in heavy traffic. To me its always been part of the driving experience.

However, in one of my Subaru's I did put on a heavy aftermarket clutch and that took some getting used to. When I sold that car I'm pretty sure I could dunk a basketball by jumping off my left foot alone.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Especially with higher numerical gears, traffic is easy to handle. I think it's fun having a manual in traffic. Something to do rather than just sit there. With 3.73 or higher numerical gears you can even use engine braking a lot of the time and you don't need to apply the brakes when everyone else is. I don't know about 3.55, but I'm sure you won't have a problem. You just might have to use the clutch a little more.

I don't leave a big gap or anything; where I live that's an invitation for 20 people to pull in front of you.

I guess it's a little hard to even give advice here, because to me there's nothing special about it. I do usually try to avoid holding the clutch down for long periods of time. If traffic stops more than momentarily I pull it out of gear.

This is how I feel as well. I've been commuting with a manual in Northern Virginia traffic since 2008 and I love how I can creep along in 1st or use engine braking instead of riding my brakes like everyone else. Also being first at a stop light is a nice bonus when I can pull away while everyone else is still moving their foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

The factory clutch setup in 2011+ mustangs is very light, too light in my opinion. You won't get very tired at all. I've modded mine by pulling the assist spring for better feel and though it's a tad heavier now it's still no problem at all.

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I like manuals just when I get off a 14 hour shift (cop) sometimes im so tired and beat up u wonder if I would just get pissed or be to tired. And I plan on making at least 700hp eventually .

Stupid question about the push to start say in winter you start the car to warm it up and take the keys with you does car turn off once keys are a certain range away?
See at the end of shift I prefer manual. I relish the time I get to row the gears as I make my way home at midnight. Understandably if you work for CPD or a neighboring suburb and have to fight that traffic I would have a hard time choosing too.

And 14 hr shifts, yuck, I hope that's not too common. At my dept We can't be forced more than 12 unless is a call that takes us past that or an emergency situation. Enjoy those rides home and stay safe brother.
Sponsored