Manual Gearbox

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
100% with you on that. I've never 'operated' a worse gearbox than the MT82. I've driven a few tractors and they had nicer gearboxes :D haha #mustanglife

I'd love to try out the Tremec box. If only there was an easy way to swap them! :inlove:
I've had the A10 and the Mt82. MT82 is the worst box I've ever used, especially cold. The A10 can't make its mind up which gear to be in. I ended up in 6th going up a hill !! Too many gears. Coming from a 7-speed DSG, you understand my expectations where higher lol
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Which says a lot, considering how nasty the 7-speed DSG is (at least the dry clutch version they put in the Golf). :giggle:
Pretty sure the DQ381 is a wet clutch setup, its the older DQ250 6 speed that's the dry clutch. But maybe that only applies for what watered down crap we get in the US, lol. I had a DQ250 GTI, it was pretty decent, but much like the A10 it leaves you wanting outside of full throttle.

The MT-82's problem is the randomness in quality, some units feel pretty decent, some feel like you're shifting through literal gravel. Mine is a good one, so I'm just hoping it actually lasts, lmao.

It's really sad that it's not being offered anymore regardless. And it's somehow to do with noise regulations? I guess because you can be a knob and hit redline whenever you like? At this rate everything that's fun will be illegal in the UK by 2030.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
huh, the manual box was so good they came out with a rule to effectively ban it. Once the manuals are gone that rule will get amended to say kickdown must be engaged and bye ICE. Til someone invents a screamer pipe for EV's, that'd be funny actually (for about 5 minutes)

Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The 6AT to me was pretty average certainly for a car like the GT and the 10AT is IMO lacking by todays standards. Put them next to a ZF and they are lack lustre at best. To me the 6MT while the throw i like it does feel a little agricultural and i find it fairly challenging to shift smoothly quickly however IMO it is still the better option in the GT.

Personally I wouldnt have purchased a GT if only available with the 10AT and ive come from a fair few years of ZF/DCT ownership so nothing against autos/DC transmission by any means.

Ā£48k now for a base spec GT auto is a lot to pay.

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
1 have a 2016 Manual GT that I have had form new and love the thing. I test drove a Auto and thought it was rubbish. I have not driven a 10 speed auto or a newer manual.

The gearbox does what i need it to and its fine - having had the car for coming up to 6 years and 25,000 miles I am used to it.

For the money I paid its was a excellent value for money car - when you consider that in 2016 you would have been looking at Ā£50k for a Merc, BMW, Audi - The Mustang at Ā£35k with the manula was a bargain.

I'm happy with the Gearbox but am considering putting in one of the shortshift things.

Love the car and hopefully with the manuals being discontinued this will only increase the value of mine !!!!

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Love the car and hopefully with the manuals being discontinued this will only increase the value of mine !!!!
Looks like a pretty even split in popularity in the UK so i doubt manuals will increase in value over the auto.

Does anyone know if the Mach 1 is also now auto only because if it is I can't see that being very popular long term.

OP
OP
Eclipsar

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Looks like a pretty even split in popularity in the UK so i doubt manuals will increase in value over the auto.

Does anyone know if the Mach 1 is also now auto only because if it is I can't see that being very popular long term.
Usually if you canā€™t get something, then prices will go up. My dealer said no Mach 1 this year

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Usually if you canā€™t get something, then prices will go up. My dealer said no Mach 1 this year
I would agree in part. Normally there has to be a real demand and short supply too, is there a massive demand or short supply of GT manuals on the used market if you remove the pandemics impact on the entire used car values, I would suggest not as for example manual and DCT m2s which are also no longer in production aren't particularly scewing in favour of one or the other.
There will only be what 12 to 18 months of non manual only s550 in the UK as isn't that about how long it has left in production? So the impact long term to the availability on the used market is a pretty small window if that makes sense.
Just my opinion as currently who knows what will happen when or even if car production goes back to what it was pre pandemic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
No more Mach 1's, really? My Tremec box is nice.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There's only.a few days left of this year!!!!
I was talking particularly about the tremec mach 1, is the option also being removed and only the 10at will be available? The tremec for me is the most appealing change.

OP
OP
Eclipsar

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
No more Mach 1's, really? My Tremec box is nice.
Probably down to the new noise restriction on 1st July, manual cars would have to be built early 1st quarter, to arrive in the U.K. and be registered before then, as Eruptions Green is being built end of 1st quarter and will not be built in a manual
The Tremec box is the best thing about a Mach 1, donā€™t see any point buying a auto Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Probably down to the new noise restriction on 1st July, manual cars would have to be built early 1st quarter, to arrive in the U.K. and be registered before then, as Eruptions Green is being built end of 1st quarter and will not be built in a manual
The Tremec box is the best thing about a Mach 1, donā€™t see any point buying a auto Mach 1
Totally agree, the main reason I bought a Mach 1 was for the Tremec manual box. I was originally shopping for a GT, but switched to a Mach 1 when I learned I could not get a Tremec. I am comforted by having the extra engine oil, transmission oil, and rear axle cooling systems. Do you notice those, of course not, but they are reassuring to have.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I see you can no longer order a new Mustang with manual gearbox in the U.K. šŸ˜¢
Okay, so here's the question, the UK won't get anymore S550 Mustangs, but do we think the S650 will be offered in the UK with a manual? Or is this truly the end of manual Mustangs in the UK? Thoughts?
Sponsored