Sponsored

Magnaride

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you're on the right track with the GT500 part numbers.

Your prices seem quite good. Let us know where you're sourcing them from.
Sponsored

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Yes, you're on the right track with the GT500 part numbers.

Your prices seem quite good. Let us know where you're sourcing them from.
Thanks, I'm still unsure of which SKUs to go for 100%, but the GT500 SKUs provided based on VIN seem like a safer option. I'm still trying to find a definite answer though!

The parts are from Sames Kingsville Ford, in Texas. I am working with Chris in the parts department, who is bending over backwards and patiently working through this process with me. I am defintely putting in a good word to his manager or to the owner of the dealer after all this.

All parts prices I listed are rough estimates for simplicity sake, and do not include install. They could be off by $50-100 here and there. They're from Sames Kingsville Ford for the dampers, but the ford performance springs or kit are from online vendors like CJ, FP, or levittown, etc.

Last edited:

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
New developments in my understanding of ford SKUs and the GT500 dampers...but with what seems like conflicting and inconsistent information.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/how-to-decode-ford-part-numbers/
https://www.fordification.com/tech/partnumbers_overview.htm

Long story short, it looks like they are all basically the same damper but with different revision dates. Here is my understanding from briefly reading the two websites I linked above:

The FR3Z is an older product code designation for Magneride damper from the GT350/R(2016-2017?), while the KR3Z is a newer designation based on decade/year? Either way, the 2020+ GT500 and 2018+ PP1 one is KR3Z for their dampers.

The middle numbers of SKU: 18124(Front) or 18125(Rear), designate the part number itself. It's good to see that this remains constant between all SKUs I've seen from either GT350R, PP1 magneride or GT500.

The last letter or suffix designates the revision of each component, and will go through the alphabet as it continues to be updated. You generally would want to pick the later letters, as they are likely to be reverse compatible with applications that used earlier revisions from factory. The only exception would be if all letters for revisions have been exhausted, the last suffix should start over with two letters as in AA instead of just A like the first go around the alphabet.

Following this logic, you would be lead to believe that FR3Z-18124-AE is a newer revision than KR3Z-18124-B. But I believe this is actually a case where AE is a revision on version "A" by adding a second letter instead of going through alphabet, and Version B is the replacement and newer version than A or AE.

It gets even more confusing as certain SKUs also have OEM/interchange numbers. For example, FR3Z-18124-AE is also interchanged with AST84779 or FR3Z18124T(GT350R). This makes me wonder if they are the same just different revision?

Steeda has a GT500 magneride upgrade kit they are putting together(1/31 release date) and I am able to make out the front struts SKU as FR3Z-18124-AE in the pictures. Are the Steeda ones indeed AE suffix? or is that just a picture they used?

All this said, I will be calling Chris at the parts department tomorrow to check in again, for my own sanity :crazy:

It's 1:45AM here and I feel like crazy squidward
1705656894478.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're overthinking this. You want the highest first letter. And the highest last latter. Generally speaking.

The -ae is not available. In the description references to magnetide 3 is what to look for.

The dimensions of the MR dampers are all the same, afaik. The difference is the piston.

Use the gt500 SKU, or in case of rears optionally the gt350r SKU.

You do not want any part that says applicable to 2017 cars.

Last edited:

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
You're overthinking this. You want the highest first letter. And the highest last latter. Generally speaking.

The -ae is not available. In the description references to magnetide 3 is what to look for.

The dimensions of the MR dampers are all the same, afaik. The difference is the piston.

Use the gt500 SKU, or in case of rears optionally the gt350r SKU.

You do not want any part that says applicable to 2017 cars.
You're right Matt, thanks. We want Magneride level 3 in description, and the GT350R rear SKU is actually the same as GT500 rear SKU. I was mistaken earlier.

Now to confirm if I want to get rears also for an extra $750, or keep my PP1 rear with 55K miles on them. If the front blew, I'm thinking the rears are near end of life as well - so probably going all in for $1400ish for front/rear dampers, $350 for FP M-5300-W springs, and then $600 for install.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now to confirm if I want to get rears also for an extra $750, or keep my PP1 rear with 55K miles on them.
yeah at 55k miles you've hit End of Life. Bite the bullet and replace the whole set.

Suspension is a wear item, in particular the seals. I don't know why people think it's just OK to keep using dampers past 50k let alone 100k miles. Geezus people, suspension wears out. Just like tires and brake rotors do.

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Maybe @TeeLew will be interested in the old ones to cut apart and study. I am but Shipping to me would be a lot more unfortunately.
They're either of yours if you want them, just let me know within the next couple weeks since my girl won't appreciate more car parts laying around indefinitely. And yes, Virginia would defintely be pricey, SoCal not so much.

I'm traveling for work most of next week anyways and won't have them out anyways, so no rush.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
They're either of yours if you want them, just let me know within the next couple weeks since my girl won't appreciate more car parts laying around indefinitely. And yes, Virginia would defintely be pricey, SoCal not so much.
I'd definitely like to take a peak up their skirt. I'm a little busy with work until next Sunday, but after that, let's chat. Shipping is simple enough. I promise to play "Show and tell" at the end.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
@TeeLew - do you know how much more damping force those dampers make for the same current ?
I have the dyno curves, but I was asked to keep them to myself. I'd like to get them on a dyno personally at some point, but that takes some work.

Sponsored

5.openthrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I don't know what the proper etiquette is about asking separate questions on already existing forums, but all of the knowledge in here seems to be really useful. I've read through the whole discussion and some other forums on coilovers and suspension etc. from what I understand the gt500/M1 shocks and dampers are a good option for my applications (very similar to OP, maybe a little more track/autocross) but I dont know how that would work considering the wheels I just got. I think some of you in here have helped me in the past when I was picking the wheels and I know I talked about some other things, I have 4 19x11 wheels from apex, and on their website they say that you can run a 305 tire and be fine with 1 inch spacers and -2 degrees of camber. would that set up still work, and should I go for the -M kit so that I can also get the magride 2 vdm or just the -W for the springs?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure get the -M kit and you can sell off the parts you don't want. If you're doing track, you'll be no less than -2.5 camber and more like -3. Yes, you need the new dampers regardless of whatever else you feel like doing.

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Sure get the -M kit and you can sell off the parts you don't want. If you're doing track, you'll be no less than -2.5 camber and more like -3. Yes, you need the new dampers regardless of whatever else you feel like doing.
I have the GT500/M1 Dampers sitting in my garage; been traveling for business and pleasure back and forth this past month so no time to get them installed yet. Will hopefully be free by early March.

I am still undecided between just the 5300-W springs and the 9062 Kit. Does VDM flash really only matter for track mode? Is there any more clarity on how the M1/GT500 dampers would perform on PP1 VDM vs FP VDM?

Am I the first person to install M1/GT500 dampers on a PP1 Magride car?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the first person to install M1/GT500 dampers on a PP1 Magride car?
probably. Well, ignoring @TeeLew 's custom setup.

Just out of the box the M1 dampers have 2x the damping force. Ford is synonymous with half-assed suspension so when they publish an improvement it's worth doing. IMO.

If you're a hard-core and fast track rat you'll likely stump for the Steeda controller eventually and it's on-board tuning, but for Autocross the FP will probably suffice. Or just go full-tilt with JRi/Penske/MCS 3-way coil-overs

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
probably. Well, ignoring @TeeLew 's custom setup.

Just out of the box the M1 dampers have 2x the damping force. Ford is synonymous with half-assed suspension so when they publish an improvement it's worth doing. IMO.

If you're a hard-core and fast track rat you'll likely stump for the Steeda controller eventually and it's on-board tuning, but for Autocross the FP will probably suffice. Or just go full-tilt with JRi/Penske/MCS 3-way coil-overs
So that's a yes on the 9062 Kit with VDM Flash, thanks. From my conversation with Rodney@Steeda, I was under the impression that the Steeda DSC tunes were optimized for Steeda Dual rate springs or similar.

Definitely still a dual duty oriented casual HDPE'r. I don't anticipate doing much more after this.
Sponsored